Xbox one powers off when watching video

Discus and support Xbox one powers off when watching video in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox one works fine for games but when attempting to watch video via Netflix, YouTube, amazon instant etc. the console shuts off. Sometimes... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by NCSU Woofpack, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Xbox one powers off when watching video

My Xbox one works fine for games but when attempting to watch video via Netflix, YouTube, amazon instant etc. the console shuts off.

Sometimes 30seconds into a video, sometimes after a few minutes.

My roommate also has an xbox one and I was able to give his power supply a go and yeilded the same results.

My "auto off" feature has been disabled as per the Xbox one support recommendations.

Knowing that my warranty period was almost up, I shipped the console to Microsoft for service and got it back with a note that they were unable to find any issue with the console.

I would like to get this sorted out - my Xbox one is great for gaming but the console should be usable for so much more.

:)

NCSU Woofpack, Oct 21, 2014
  2. Xbox powers off by itself when watching videos

when I try to watch netflix or even the update video my xbox powers off

baldsilentbob70, Oct 21, 2014
  3. nitroman714
    nitroman714 Guest
    Issue With directv

Since the April update when my Xbox One powers on my Directv does not power on. Same thing when it powers off the directv stay on. Looked in the power setting and for some reason it is set to do nothing when the xbox powers on and off and there is NO
    way to change to turn on when xbox powers on send section or off in the when xbox powers off send section! How can I get this option back? Thanks for any assistance.

nitroman714, Oct 21, 2014
  4. Linden AG
    Linden AG Guest

Next time it does occur give a look at the power brick and let us know what light you get.

I know you said you tried your and a buds, but the result is the same which leads me to think the internals are causing an issue that ANY power block cant handle. (Such as an overheat when running)

The Support squad wouldn't notice anything because they don't cut it on, play games for a couple hours ,then go and watch a few movies lol. They simply plug in a cool computer, its goes "beep" and then says nothings wrong and send it back.

Linden AG, Oct 22, 2014
  5. The issue doesn't occur after hours of play (well, it would then too).

The console will go from cool and powered off to powered on then to crashed and powered off as quickly as I can log in and boot netflix (~15-30 seconds of video, maybe 2 minutes total of being powered on).

I believe the power brick is showing the amber light once the system powers down.

NCSU Woofpack, Oct 31, 2018
  6. NCSU Woofpack Win User

The issue doesn't occur after hours of play (well, it would then too).

The console will go from cool and powered off to powered on then to crashed and powered off as quickly as I can log in and boot netflix (~15-30 seconds of video, maybe 2 minutes total of being powered on).

I believe the power brick is showing the amber light once the system powers down.
  7. Linden AG Win User

Next time it does occur give a look at the power brick and let us know what light you get.

I know you said you tried your and a buds, but the result is the same which leads me to think the internals are causing an issue that ANY power block cant handle. (Such as an overheat when running)

The Support squad wouldn't notice anything because they don't cut it on, play games for a couple hours ,then go and watch a few movies lol. They simply plug in a cool computer, its goes "beep" and then says nothings wrong and send it back.
  8. IceStorm III Win User

Cable Box and Xbox One Guide Question

As of now, the Xbox One has to be powered on for the video from the HDMI input to be visible. In a powered off state (even when configured for Instant-on) the video from the HDMI input is not passed through to the output.
  9. jrphoenix1 Win User

Why can't I watch my tv without the xbox one powered on

Does the xbox one automatically go into power save mode when I'm watching TV? I have my xbox one setup to turn on and off my cable box and tv through kinect commands. I just wonder how much power I'm using when just watching tv?
  10. Farscape247 Win User

Xbox One and watching TV could have been thought through better

[quote user="kernelpanic67"]

IMHO, I think that watching TV through the Xbox one could have been designed better. Why wasn't the interface designed as pass through? It's not very "green" to have on the Cable box, TV and Xbox one just to watch simple TV.
    The Xbox one itself generates a lot of heat. Once the Xbox goes off, you lose the TV signal. If I wanted to play my Xbox 360 (since the Xbox one doesn't play Xbox 360 games) I would need to have my Cable Box (TV plugged
    into cable box for power and I could setup the cable box to always have power the the aux power port, but that would defeat the purpose of me using the scheduled power off on the cable box), TV, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on. In addition, today the signal from
    the cable box was first stuttering (video and sound kept stopping) and when I turned off and on the cable box, the Xbox didn't see the signal. I was able to get the Xbox to see the signal, but I had to fully power off and pull the power cable out of the Xbox.
    I've since reverted back to having my TV on a dedicated input and the Xbox one on its own.

[/quote]

the xbox one does not generate a lot of heat, mine is always cold even after hours of gaming, when watching tv through the xbox it uses less power due to not having to do anything major and will never get to hot.
Thema:

1. Xbox one powers off when watching video - Similar Threads - powers off watching

2. My Xbox series S almost caught fire while powered off

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox series S almost caught fire while powered off: Xbox Series S was powered off and almost caught fire. It was sitting plugged in on a brand new power strip and I started smelling a weird smell, I looked around and my Xbox was off but smoking a...
  3. Dropped Xbox off shelf now it power zone for 10 seconds and power out back off what can I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dropped Xbox off shelf now it power zone for 10 seconds and power out back off what can I...: Yes I dropped my Xbox One off the shelf and now at power zone for 10 seconds shows a Xbox One logo and power is off so there's no trouble shooting can be done any ideas Would be greatly...
  4. My xbox power light is off, Should I worry or not?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox power light is off, Should I worry or not?: I turned on my xbox and just reliazed that the power button is not on even though I didint touch the settings. I cleared the area as I just moved it from one from to another. [img]...
  5. Xbox Series X - Turning off after powering on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X - Turning off after powering on: Hi Posting here about an issue that is happening with my brand new Series X Occurring randomly, without a pattern... Might happen today and never happen during the upcoming days, or just happen...
  6. Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?: Hello, I bought the series X last week and I have had constant issues with Xbox not connecting to the WiFi, after it was set up, when I start the system. Absolutely nothing changes. The system...
  7. i have an x box one s, and when powered off it is making an electrical ticking noise. i...

in XBoX on Windows
    i have an x box one s, and when powered off it is making an electrical ticking noise. i...: hi, i have an x box one s, and when powered off is making a faint but audible electrical ticking noise. i have checked it is in energy saving mode but is still making the noise. the noise goes...
  8. Xbox powers off playing certain games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox powers off playing certain games: While playing games like Cod or The Finals my console will just shut off while playing them after a few minutes, no error codes nothing just off. It’s not over heating or anything it just happens...
  9. My Xbox series S won’t show display, cannot connect controllers and powers off by itself.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series S won’t show display, cannot connect controllers and powers off by itself.: In the morning as I’m putting this description I turned on my Xbox series S, it turns on but won’t post anything and won’t connect my controller. The power keeps flickering with my controller...
  10. X BOX 360 STARS WARS EDITION console power button turn red flashes 9 times then powers off?

in XBoX on Windows
    X BOX 360 STARS WARS EDITION console power button turn red flashes 9 times then powers off?: center of power button turns blue then changes to red flashing 9 times then off goes the console. nothing on the screen? should i through it away ? i am able to soldier and fix some electronics....