Xbox One PDP Prismatic Afterglow USB controller has buzzing sound transmitting over mic

Discus and support Xbox One PDP Prismatic Afterglow USB controller has buzzing sound transmitting over mic in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I got the wired PDP afterglow xbox one controller and I have a big problem with buzzing coming from my mic that I can sort-of hear and the other people... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ChiefJoboo, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ChiefJoboo
    ChiefJoboo Guest

Xbox One PDP Prismatic Afterglow USB controller has buzzing sound transmitting over mic

I got the wired PDP afterglow xbox one controller and I have a big problem with buzzing coming from my mic that I can sort-of hear and the other people can hear quite well. I have tried several troubleshooting techniques but none has solved my problem so
    far. My headset works fine with microsoft controllers via the stereo adapter (gen 1 controller).

Set up:

Headset: Xbox 360 Tritton Pro+ via optical. The mic part goes out through a 3.5mm TRS > 2.5mm TRS cable to the TRS > CTIA adapter that came with the xbox stereo adapter that comes from the inline controls and goes to the controller for mic transmit/receive.

Controller: PDP Afterglow Prismatic Xbox One controller with the 3.5mm mic port and officially licensed stereo headset adapter that's inside the controller.

Other USB devices: USB3 powered External 1TB 2.5" hard drive, Logitech LED illuminated USB keyboard.

The most common problem that I've heard of is that the USB bus on the console is causing a loop or grounding problem.

Troubleshooting gone through so far:

1. Changed USB ports (helped a lot at first) - Didn't work.

2. Got an externally powered USB3 hub (5V 2.5A) for the hard drive/switched every config of that is powered by it.

3. Tried different cables. I'm using a TRS 3.5mm > TRS 2.5mm > 'Official xbox one stereo adapter TRS 2.5mm - TRRS 3.5mm CTIA adapter' and it works for everything except the buzzing.

4. Power cycled (hold power button until it turns off) and unplugged many times.

The only thing I haven't tried is a double-ended 3.5mm TRRS cable with a CTIA-OMTP 3.5mm converter adapter - and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't do anything. I'm not going to turn off vibration because I need that to play.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I've chatted with microsoft support and they said I may have to contact PDP for a possible replacement. If that's the case, there's something shorting a loop in the bottom-two poles on the CTIA end.

CTIA is the standard for 4-poled 3.5mm cords and OMTP is the same thing but the ground and mic parts are switched at the bottom 2 poles.

:)

ChiefJoboo, Dec 31, 2015
  2. J.R.G.
    J.R.G. Guest
    J.R.G., Dec 31, 2015
  3. One cup Bluetooth headset

Keep in mind: bluetooth headsets do not work on any Xbox One console. No console has bluetooth functionality.

There are plenty of wireless headsets available for Xbox One, but they do usually cost upwards of $80-200. Typically, it's going to be a pair of surround-sound headphones with a mic, and it connects to the Xbox through a receiver that either plugs into the
    console's optical audio port or USB.

There are no wireless chat-only headsets (with one speaker to the ear) as far as I know. The closest match I can recommend for you would be the

PDP Afterglow AG 9

Internet Expert, Dec 31, 2015
  4. ChiefJoboo
    ChiefJoboo Guest

Update: I was asked to return the controller via a prepaid label because it may be an issue with the 3.5mm plug. I am getting a replacement from them as well.

They were very nice about it.

ChiefJoboo, Jan 17, 2016
  5. SpendingCash
    SpendingCash Guest
    I Think its the Usb amp in your headphones that is causing the ground loop hum I have similar headset and the only way I could get rid of the buzz was to use wireless controller or plug headset into a laptop and use optical out on xbox for audio also have
    to unplug controller then plug in mic then repower controller. Its like I isolating the headset from any ground it could share with xbox.

SpendingCash, Feb 26, 2016
  6. I recently bought a PDP Afterglow wired controller and Afterglow lvl 5+ wired headset and I am having the same issues. I believe it is because the controllers default Mic sensitivity is set too high, but it cant be adjusted in Settings>Devices and accessories>
    Controllers>Volume, unlike like a Microsoft Xbox one controller. I think pdp and Microsoft may use a different controller software, since the Microsoft controller update cannot be downloaded to the pdp controller. I am hoping the Afterglow app provides more
    settings and a way to adjust Mic levels.

GoodxXxMourning, Feb 29, 2016
  7. ChiefJoboo
    ChiefJoboo Guest
    The amp is not USB powered. It uses an A/C adapter. It works fine without the optional usb power source and there's no changes when its in.

I just want to use my controller.

ChiefJoboo, Mar 1, 2016
  8. ChiefJoboo
    ChiefJoboo Guest

Update: I still have this problem and I think I narrowed the problem down to the dashboard's mic option called "Mic monitoring" (a feature that enables you to hear your own chat echoed in real time) that appears in the slide-in guide if you have a newer
    xbox one controller that has a 3.5mm hole in it or have (in my case) a gen 1 controller and the chat pad. The options appear on that microsoft gen 1 xbox one controller (with chat pad but not with the stereo headset adapter) but not on my Afterglow controller.

Consensus is that my controller is unable to be used at the moment because of the buzzing and that the fact that the "mic monitoring" feature is enabled by default at 50% and I can't view the option to lower it to 0%. It does, on a microsoft xbox one gen
    1 controller with the chat pad but not the stereo headset adapter.

ChiefJoboo, Mar 10, 2016
  9. militantpop
    militantpop Guest
    I have just bought the prismatic xbox one controller (awesome controller)...... but as other have said, friends are complaining of a buzzing sound in party chat.

is there a fix for this at all?

militantpop, Jul 3, 2016
  10. Byaringan
    Byaringan Guest
    I have the same problem, even tried exchanging the controller for a fresh one. I suppose I am somewhat lucky as resetting the Xboxone or unplugging and plugging the headphone jack usually kills the problem. Its annoying as hell though having to do it every
    other time I play a game. If anyone finds a permanent solution I'd be happy to hear it.

Byaringan, Sep 27, 2017
  11. snake42069
    snake42069 Guest
    to fix the problem with all wired controllers, simply unplug the mic and controller, then plug the MIC in first, then plug the controller back in. Worked for me. Hopefully it works for you.

snake42069, Oct 31, 2018
  12. Byaringan Win User

I have the same problem, even tried exchanging the controller for a fresh one. I suppose I am somewhat lucky as resetting the Xboxone or unplugging and plugging the headphone jack usually kills the problem. Its annoying as hell though having to do it every
    other time I play a game. If anyone finds a permanent solution I'd be happy to hear it.
  13. snake42069 Win User

to fix the problem with all wired controllers, simply unplug the mic and controller, then plug the MIC in first, then plug the controller back in. Worked for me. Hopefully it works for you.
  14. ChiefJoboo Win User

Update: I still have this problem and I think I narrowed the problem down to the dashboard's mic option called "Mic monitoring" (a feature that enables you to hear your own chat echoed in real time) that appears in the slide-in guide if you have a newer
    xbox one controller that has a 3.5mm hole in it or have (in my case) a gen 1 controller and the chat pad. The options appear on that microsoft gen 1 xbox one controller (with chat pad but not with the stereo headset adapter) but not on my Afterglow controller.

Consensus is that my controller is unable to be used at the moment because of the buzzing and that the fact that the "mic monitoring" feature is enabled by default at 50% and I can't view the option to lower it to 0%. It does, on a microsoft xbox one gen
    1 controller with the chat pad but not the stereo headset adapter.
  15. GoodxXxMourning Win User

I recently bought a PDP Afterglow wired controller and Afterglow lvl 5+ wired headset and I am having the same issues. I believe it is because the controllers default Mic sensitivity is set too high, but it cant be adjusted in Settings>Devices and accessories>
    Controllers>Volume, unlike like a Microsoft Xbox one controller. I think pdp and Microsoft may use a different controller software, since the Microsoft controller update cannot be downloaded to the pdp controller. I am hoping the Afterglow app provides more
    settings and a way to adjust Mic levels.
  16. ChiefJoboo Win User

Update: I was asked to return the controller via a prepaid label because it may be an issue with the 3.5mm plug. I am getting a replacement from them as well.

They were very nice about it.
Thema:

1. Xbox One PDP Prismatic Afterglow USB controller has buzzing sound transmitting over mic - Similar Threads - PDP Prismatic Afterglow

2. Pdp xbox wireless headset audio and microphone not working

in XboX Insiders
    Pdp xbox wireless headset audio and microphone not working: My Pdp headset isn’t working i’ve connected it to a pc and it works fine but when i plug the dongle into my xbox nothing comes out other then when i turn off my xbox i hear a static noise...
  3. My PDP Controller won't turn on

in XBoX on Windows
    My PDP Controller won't turn on: I got a new PDP controller and when I tried to turn it on it won't work, it won't even light up. Is there a way to solve the problem or do I need to get s new one...
  4. Are pdp controllers safe to use?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are pdp controllers safe to use?: Are pdp controllers safe to use? 19baa6c5-af32-4d6c-8f8e-8c42a61e02c9
  5. Are pdp controllers officially licensed products?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are pdp controllers officially licensed products?: Are pdp controllers officially licensed products? 8c5edc32-ea34-47c3-9d5d-8d0d4514a68d
  6. Trouble with pdp controller

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trouble with pdp controller: I bought 2 pdp controllers within the last 2 months the 1 i have 2 year warranty on it other i dont but like as soon as i get it within 2 weeks left joystick is acting up and dont want to work. I...
  7. Pdp nubia bronze controller update error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pdp nubia bronze controller update error: In the pdp hub app every time I try to configure the controller or do anything with it in the app it says I need to update the controller and it takes me to the update screen but when I click ok...
  8. So I have a problem with my pdp gaming headset for xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    So I have a problem with my pdp gaming headset for xbox: Please help me so I have a pdp gaming headset wireless for Xbox light is solid so it's paired but on my Xbox it shows no mic connection and when in a party it says we can't find a microphone for...
  9. My pdp Xbox advanced wired rematch controllers mic won't work no matter the headset, ughhhh

in XBoX on Consoles
    My pdp Xbox advanced wired rematch controllers mic won't work no matter the headset, ughhhh: everything works besides the mic of any head set all settings are correct as far as I know and have tried, it will cut on for a millisecond bday shutoff and not work again after I'm bout to give...
  10. Am I doing something wrong trying to get the game pass from pdp?

in XBoX on Windows
    Am I doing something wrong trying to get the game pass from pdp?: I just got a headset from pdp. It had slip of paper with a QR code on it. I tried scanning the code but it wouldn't scan, so I went to website and done everything it said to do. Got my email...