Xbox One OSU1 offline update file needs a version number

Discus and support Xbox One OSU1 offline update file needs a version number in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Somewhere, you need to document what version of OS is available in the current OSU1 file. How is anyone supposed to know? I have wasted about a dozen... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Michael McHenry, May 20, 2023.

1. Xbox One OSU1 offline update file needs a version number

Somewhere, you need to document what version of OS is available in the current OSU1 file.
    How is anyone supposed to know?

I have wasted about a dozen hours trying to replace a hard drive in an xbox to learn the following:

1) xbox one firmware knows it's version number.

2) the xbox absolutely will not boot with an OS or update of a lower version number.

so installing an xbox hard drive with an older version of the OS, or an offline update with an older version of the OS, or attempting to reset using a system update partition with an older version of the OS is going to fail

3) MS could make it very clear this version mismatch is the issue. like SUPER clear. But still hasn't. Please fix this.

It's fine. You can't downgrade your software, there is no going back. no big deal. Please make it clear you just need an OSU of the correct version.

You have this great page with some release information on xbox updates:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help...ngs-updates/whats-new-xbox-one-system-updates

and a few different pages explaining how to download an OSU1 file and use it, but none of them specify the version.
    I can see that my xbox was (before the HD died) running the version that came out 9 days ago. (May 10, 2023)
    If I look at the date stamps in the OSU1.zip file I downloaded 16 hours ago, they are all created April 6, 2023. There's no readme.txt or anything in there with a version number, so I don't know how anyone could know.

I just downloaded a new OSU1.zip, and the files are timestamped May 3, 2023.
    Seems like that is the May update, I can copy those files over now and it will all be great. awesome?

Please just make it clear what version of the OS is in the current OSU1, please.
    Then you don't have to download a new file every day and see if maybe it finally has the current OS in it.

The issue has been going on for so long. This poster basically got harassed because nobody understood why anyone would care what the OSU1 version is.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...check-it/d032e8e6-97e3-4b15-b31d-acf5568c75f5

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-to-date/e39e73b3-67f4-4637-b4e8-d67d6ad527ae

please.

Thanks for updating the file in the last few hours. Very good.

I was about to tear open a perfectly good xbox to copy the system update files off of it. I'm glad I checked the OSU one more time.
    If you can update the file, you can also just tell us what version of the file it is so those of us waiting for the new one to come don't have to waste hours and hours on this.

:)

Michael McHenry, May 20, 2023
  2. Speedster996 Win User

What if I never download system updates?

Yeah, it is what it is. Tough luck I suppose.

Ironic that my fat Xbox-one still runs flawlessly to this day and 95% of the time I've used everything on the internal storage.

What other options do I have apart from the OSU1 system update?

By the way, is there any way to check what version the OSU1 offline update is? On the support page it says that the OS received an update on Aug 13, 2019 - but the OSU1 file I downloaded again on Aug 14 (stupidly assuming that it would have the latest files)
    updates the system to the July OS version.

Hasn't MS updated the offline files to the latest Aug 19' OS version, you reckon?
  3. 80s guy Win User

After reset my xbox one x shows only chinese language you cannot scroll down to find other languages

Can’t you offline update the Xbox one **** system via USB contains the OSU1 Latest update file from Xbox support because it has different language in the OSU1 update
  4. AquarrzSudnnym Win User

Xbox One S unable to Factory Reset or Update

Did you try the OSU2 file or only OSU1?

You may need the OSU2 file if the build number of the OS requires it to complete offline update.

Step 10 of System updates solution has more detail.
  5. XBF Brad A Win User

Xbox One X system update not working

Hello Ghetis,

Thanks for reching out to the forums. We understand you are having issues with update. When you try the offline update we recommend using OSU2 or OSU3 not OSU1. OSU1 is for the original Xbox one. Here is a

guide for the offline update

The current OS version on your Xbox One console requires you to install two updates: for the first one you should use the file
    OSU3 (if your OS version is
    6.2.9781.0) or OSU2 (for all other OS versions). For the second update, you will use the file
    OSU1. It is important that you wait until the first update (OSU2 or
    OSU3) is complete before you begin installing
    OSU1.

Thanks,

Brad
  6. GroungeMunky Win User

insider xbox one x update to 10.0.1734.4056 from 4054 fails, offline update fails with E101 as well

I've ran into the E101 error a couple of times when offline updating and it tends to happen when the osu1 file is a lower version than the one listed on your boot menu.

The OSU1 update is the one recommended for the E101 error. Os version 10.0.1734.4056 went live 05-07-2018 so it should be in the osu1 file on Xbox support, it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it with that version. Otherwise it's a trip back to the factory
    to have the drive sorted.

Sorry i can't think of anything else you can try other than using a different USB drive or changing which slot you put it in when you try the update.
Thema:

Xbox One OSU1 offline update file needs a version number

1. Xbox One OSU1 offline update file needs a version number - Similar Threads - OSU1 offline update

2. When doing the offline system update (OSU1) Will it factory reset on its own? If so, does...

in XBoX on Windows
    When doing the offline system update (OSU1) Will it factory reset on its own? If so, does...: I still am wondering about this E106 thing and I am just making sure that I do not want to erase my data from games. But my real question is if I do the OSU1, Will it factory reset on its own and...
  3. Is the OSU1 (Offline system update) same thing as factory reset?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is the OSU1 (Offline system update) same thing as factory reset?: I have made a post like a hour ago saying that I have a problem where my Xbox has a start up error with the code E106. I noticed that there was a second option called offline system update. I...
  4. Osu1 outdated Help me ! Xbox one x insider 28 february

in XboX Insiders
    Osu1 outdated Help me ! Xbox one x insider 28 february: Hello everyone, I have xbox one x And it had an SSD, so I put an HD there because I'm going to sell it, now I can't install the system via the offline website Does anyone have osu1 that came out...
  5. [PLEASE] Update OSU1 file, someone of Xbox is aware of this?

in XboX Insiders
    [PLEASE] Update OSU1 file, someone of Xbox is aware of this?: I don't know who contact, I love Xbox but I'm having problems, my xbox can't install offline update, my xbox internal storage got damage and I had to replace once replaced I try to restore my xbox...
  6. Xbox One X Dead?: Error 101 and OSU1 not able to be used. HELP!

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X Dead?: Error 101 and OSU1 not able to be used. HELP!: Hi i'm on the insiders builds (25398.2919.amd64fre.xb_flt_2311zn.231204- 1210), and the last time i restarted my Xbox one X I get an E101 00000504 8b050041. I've just learnt that the OSU1...
  7. xbox insider osu1 system Version: 25398.2504.amd64fre.xb_flt_2310zn.231009-2200

in XboX Insiders
    xbox insider osu1 system Version: 25398.2504.amd64fre.xb_flt_2310zn.231009-2200: İşletim sistemi Sürümü: 25398.2504.amd64fre.xb_flt_2310zn.231009-2200 İşte bu yüzden osu1 yüklerken e101 hatası alıyorum, ne yapmalıyım? Operating system Version:...
  8. Xbox one OSU1 error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one OSU1 error: I've been trying to download the OSU1 file for 2 days now via the Microsoft/Xbox websites, and it wont load via 2 laptops or my phone to download the file to get my Xbox working again....
  9. cant offline update my xbox one because of old OSU1 file.

in XBoX on Consoles
    cant offline update my xbox one because of old OSU1 file.: cant offline my xbox one because the osu1 file is 2 months old and its september now and the older osu1 files wont work on latest updated xbox consoles. if anyone has the capability to contact...
  10. Xbox one x's not taking offline osu1 updates

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one x's not taking offline osu1 updates: I have an xbox one x that had a hard drive replacement. I've done many of these before but for some reason, now it's not working. Everytime I try update it says something went wrong. I thought it...