Xbox One odd noise - HDD?

Discus and support Xbox One odd noise - HDD? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So, I actually still have an original Xbox One 1TB console and it's still running strong! However, just today it's making noises when the next... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Rick_M44, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Rick_M44
    Rick_M44 Guest

So, I actually still have an original Xbox One 1TB console and it's still running strong!

However, just today it's making noises when the next section of a game is loading, (I'm currently playing Like a Dragon: Ishin!). The noise reminds me of the sort of sound an old laptop might make when loading from the HDD.

The Xbox hasn't made any sound like this before. I have also noticed the sound when the console is on but not doing anything, but it's not constant. Could it be the cooling fan? I would have thought if so that it would be constant in that case?

I've only ever had one problem since owning the console since new, and that was power shut offs, which turned out to be corrupted game files, a factory reset/re-format sorted that a couple of years ago. Any help or advice appreciated.

:)

Rick_M44, Dec 7, 2023
  2. Rick_M44 Win User

It's been a few days now, it's definitely not the fan because it only happens when loading a game or similar where the console is having to work to do something, much like a laptop when opening software for example.

If the HDD then does it indicate it's on it's way to failing at all?

Cheers
  3. Hoskayra Win User

Hi Rick, my name is Oskayra and I would be happy to help.

In short, you don't have to worry, it's normal.

I understand that the noise of your Xbox fan can be annoying. Video game console fans are designed to generate noise to help keep the console cool. The noise is most noticeable when the console is in use, as the fan has to work harder to keep the temperature under control.

If you are worried about noise, there are some things you can do to reduce it. For example, you can place the console in a well-ventilated place, or avoid playing games that require a lot of processing power.

Best Regards, Oskayra
  4. Red264 Win User

External Hard Drive no longer recognized

It's possible the caddy itself is faulty and the HDD is fine, but to test that you would have to extract the HDD from the caddy and buy a replacement one (they are very cheap) however if it is a commercial external HDD their caddies are sometimes difficult
    to dismantle and on occasion use custom connectors instead of the standard SATA interface on the HDD which would rule out a replacement unless you can buy a spare caddy of the same type/brand on eBay or something.

Any clicking or odd noises from the HDD means it's dead/faulty.
  5. Broletariat90 Win User

Odd Noise

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just live with it since I haven't noticed any errors or anything harmful.
  6. Mister Fitzer Win User

Odd Noise

It sounds like these are the fans. You can try installing games to the HDD, to reduce noise produced by the console during play.
Thema:

1. Xbox One odd noise - HDD? - Similar Threads - odd noise HDD

2. Xbox 360 flashes red more then 10 times then shuts odd

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 flashes red more then 10 times then shuts odd: My xbox 360 turns on green then after min or show starts flasing red more than 10 times then shuts off Had it in same spot as always... suddenly started yesterday...
  3. Odd controller issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Odd controller issues: Hi, I'm experiencing a strange issue with my controller while playing PC Gamepass games. The first time I boot a game up and connect my controller (wirelessly) it works absolutely fine. I will...
  4. Odd stuttering/crackling sound coming from headset caused by controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Odd stuttering/crackling sound coming from headset caused by controller: Often I have a crackling sound coming from the headset and I have concluded it’s coming from the controller because I have plugged in a different headset and that did not solve it. I am unsure...
  5. Newer 4K disc compatibility issues - Skip Ahead problem or ODD limitation?

in XboX Insiders
    Newer 4K disc compatibility issues - Skip Ahead problem or ODD limitation?: Per the title. Recently the family & I have been watching more movies due to the summer break from school. Every Blu-ray we've played has worked fine. However, it seems that 4K movies are...
  6. Hello Microsoft! I have an odd situation, Please help! :0

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hello Microsoft! I have an odd situation, Please help! :0: Hello Microsoft, My name is Noa and I use your services at home but particularly for gaming. I know what you're thinking but theirs not much I can do on the Xbox site. when I try to sign in on...
  7. my xbox one's left thumbtack is acting odd

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox one's left thumbtack is acting odd: what I mean is sometimes when I try to move my character forward in game I go full up for normal movement and it sometimes thinks im moving the stick slowly like I want to walk slowly is this a...
  8. forza horizon 5 isnt showing up in group posts for some odd reason

in XBoX Games and Apps
    forza horizon 5 isnt showing up in group posts for some odd reason: i know that it could be due to out of date version but everythings up to date so i dont know what the issue is fd9f74ad-cf27-4d99-9635-40358ddd4751
  9. For some odd reason when i try to launch MW 2019 and MW 2 2022 it says 'syncing data' so i...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    For some odd reason when i try to launch MW 2019 and MW 2 2022 it says 'syncing data' so i...: [img] I dont know why it is doing this 5f40d2cb-9209-4550-bd32-0e380fa4fa96
  10. Odd issue with pc app game and external hard drive.

in XBoX on Windows
    Odd issue with pc app game and external hard drive.: My hard drive started to click so I got an external to save some of my data but right after putting state of decay 2 on the external I was told I can copy my current drive to the external and use...