Xbox one not turning off when playing movies from Media app / DLNA / network share

Discus and support Xbox one not turning off when playing movies from Media app / DLNA / network share in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi ! I set the One to turn off after 1 hour, but this dont work when playing movies via Media app (aka DLNA / network share from Universal Media... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Charlelix, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Charlelix
    Charlelix Guest

Xbox one not turning off when playing movies from Media app / DLNA / network share

Hi !

I set the One to turn off after 1 hour, but this dont work when playing movies via Media app (aka DLNA / network share from Universal Media Server).

When a movie is ended, it start automatically playing the next one. Maybe this is the problem.

There is a solution or I set a bad value for a setting ?

Thanks !

:)

Charlelix, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Red264
    Red264 Guest
    How to stream video from PC to XBox One X ?

Xbox does not support reading network shares, which is kinda odd considering it runs Windows and it should be able to join Homegroups created by Windows when you think about it.

So your options are

1) Get VLC from Xbox app store, it can read SMB network shared folder under "browse" category.

2) Install a DLNA media server on your PC like Serviio or Mezzmo and use that to stream to Xbox stock media player which supports DLNA.

3) Install a media server like Plex or Emby and use there clients available in the Xbox app store, to play the media that way, Plex/Emby do also double as DLNA servers too but their app clients are a better way to access the media.

Red264, Sep 1, 2015
  3. TopcowRaven
    TopcowRaven Guest
    4k Mp4 Files Playback Fail

I can't get any of my 4k mp4 videos whether downloaded or that I've recorded myself in h.264 to play on the xbox one x. I figured it would be able to playback 4k video files.

Anyone have any luck? I've tried the media player app and using the movies & tv app using shared network using DLNA shares.

TopcowRaven, Sep 1, 2015
  4. Xbox one not turning off when playing movies from Media app / DLNA / network share

Charlelix,

Technically the feature is doing what it is supposed to since there is never any inactivity for the 1 hour mark to start. If you have any ideas on how you'd like to improve this setting, feel free to head over to
    Xbox Ideas, powered by UserVoice and post some feedback there for the development team. Even if you don't have any idea on how to fix it, simply posting the issue might get the development team thinking on how
    this can be changed if there is a big enough demand for it.

eG x Thee Elf, Sep 1, 2015
  5. eG x Thee Elf Win User

Charlelix,

Technically the feature is doing what it is supposed to since there is never any inactivity for the 1 hour mark to start. If you have any ideas on how you'd like to improve this setting, feel free to head over to
    http://xbox.uservoice.com and post some feedback there for the development team. Even if you don't have any idea on how to fix it, simply posting the issue might get the development team thinking on how
    this can be changed if there is a big enough demand for it.
  6. Red264 Win User

How to stream video from PC to XBox One X ?

Xbox does not support reading network shares, which is kinda odd considering it runs Windows and it should be able to join Homegroups created by Windows when you think about it.

So your options are

1) Get VLC from Xbox app store, it can read SMB network shared folder under "browse" category.

2) Install a DLNA media server on your PC like Serviio or Mezzmo and use that to stream to Xbox stock media player which supports DLNA.

3) Install a media server like Plex or Emby and use there clients available in the Xbox app store, to play the media that way, Plex/Emby do also double as DLNA servers too but their app clients are a better way to access the media.
  7. tman2damax11 Win User

summer update background music is a joke

They have confirmed in the update feature video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgeR1z846CE that more apps in the future will support background music and that playing off of a usb drive, a shared network library, or dlna media server will be supported soon as well.
  8. Captain Gini Win User

How do i connect media player to my xbox one?

So this app solved your problem? the app mentioned by his colleague is one of the best for playing media, even services like dlna and smb, which are network file sharing services, are great for not using usb or some other physical method
  9. sn2006gy Win User

Does xbox one have a system video player like what the 360 had?

Hey Torchy84,

The Xbox One does have a system video player app - its Xbox Video. In its current state it can play xbox video marketplace content (tv shows & movies) and it can also accept DLNA play-to content as a DLNA receiver from your PC. It currently does *NOT* browse
    network for playback like the 360 does, i hope we see that functionality soon as the apps get improved.

Here is a simple walk through guide i found that may better help you figure out remote media playback support.

mmgn.com/.../articles--xbox-one-dlna-streaming-guide
Thema:

1. Xbox one not turning off when playing movies from Media app / DLNA / network share - Similar Threads - turning off playing

2. Xbox series x turns off randomly playing certain games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x turns off randomly playing certain games: Playing games like Hell let loose, Forza Motorsport, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I can rule out overheating. It is well ventilated and a new console. Did a hard reset and any other recommendations....
  3. Are games being turned off for Xbox one? As I can’t play the disc once the game is removed...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Are games being turned off for Xbox one? As I can’t play the disc once the game is removed...: Once games are removed from the Xbox store I can’t play them even with the disc it’s not recognised. I can no longer play forza 7 or gta 5? 94ed04c4-94af-4627-860a-5b58d444190b
  4. Please help.. I'd turned cross play option off on my xbox I've tried to turn them back on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Please help.. I'd turned cross play option off on my xbox I've tried to turn them back on...: Hi all hopefully someone can help I'd turned cross play option off in my xbox settings so I'd only play with xbox users but now when I try to turn it back on again its saying it on I.e I can play...
  5. My Xbox keeps turning off only while in a game plays movies on disk fine any help is...

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox keeps turning off only while in a game plays movies on disk fine any help is...: My Xbox continuesly shuts off while playing any game but when I put a movie in it’s fine and plays it checked the power and it’s fine and fan works properly any help is appreciated thanks I’m...
  6. Why does my controller have to turn off why I want to play on keyboard and mouse

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does my controller have to turn off why I want to play on keyboard and mouse: Why does the controller have to have a timed shut off? Please make this an option! It’s really annoying when there are certain times I want to use the controller for a game or if I want to use...
  7. Xbox one turns off while playing it or watching YouTube

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox one turns off while playing it or watching YouTube: My Xbox one started having problems not Turning on or would turn on but shut off by itself a few minutes later I’ve changed the power supply an power cord cleaned the dust reset setting and...
  8. The Yakuza 0 wont let me play and turns off my xbox one S at the first tutorial

in XBoX on Consoles
    The Yakuza 0 wont let me play and turns off my xbox one S at the first tutorial: My xbox one s wont allow me to play the first tutorial battle and I have done the power cycle did a factory reset and even uninstalled it and reinstalled it I dont under stand why this is...
  9. Xbox one turning off in middle of game play

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one turning off in middle of game play: I have an Xbox one s and it keeps turning off in the middle of game play and then not wanting to turn back on. I bought new power cord an external fan. I took it completely apart and air dusted it...
  10. My Xbox series x turns off or crashes to dashboard when playing online games

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series x turns off or crashes to dashboard when playing online games: my xbox series x turns off or crashes sometimes when playing online games i have looked around all over the internet for a solution but didn't find any. 616190a9-555d-47b5-a642-68ae13c13428