Xbox One Media Player Does Not Recognize Drive

Discus and support Xbox One Media Player Does Not Recognize Drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have two identical Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Portable Drives. One of the drives are detected on Xbox One and the drive's media can be played by the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by BeardedMike827, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Xbox One Media Player Does Not Recognize Drive

I have two identical Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Portable Drives. One of the drives are detected on Xbox One and the drive's media can be played by the Media Player app. However, the second drive is not recognized.

Both drives are the same:

Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive

Model: SRD00F1

Format Type: ExFat (I reformatted both of the drives to ExFat)

Contents: They are the same. One acts as a backup of the other.

What can I do to have the Xbox One be able to read the other drive? There's no difference between them and the contents on the drive are also the same. Thanks.

:)

BeardedMike827, Jun 24, 2016
  2. GC360E
    GC360E Guest
    Media Player and Seagate Backup Plus Portable detection issue

I recently got a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable drive as a media storage, the XB1 detects it fine, Media Player will INITIALLY recognize it and play stably...Problem is....

When I shift to a game then shift back to Media Player, Media Player no longer recognizes the drive. XB1 still sees it, Media Player does not, and the only method for Media Player to once again recognize the Seagate is a HARD REBOOT.

GC360E, Jun 24, 2016
  3. External hard drive problems with media player

I'm attempting to play music/video files that are stored on my external hard drive with my Xbox one. I downloaded media player, and media player recognizes the hard drive, but media player says there are no files to be found. There are indeed many files
    on there, and many, if not all, are supported file types. How do I solve this?

Devlin Donohue, Jun 24, 2016
  4. Qwertei
    Qwertei Guest

The drives are formatted to run NTFS that's how the console detects it and runs it.

Power cycle the Xbox one.

Follow the link above and see if you can get it working after.

Qwertei, Jun 24, 2016
  5. Qwertei Win User

The drives are formatted to run NTFS that's how the console detects it and runs it.

Power cycle the Xbox one.

Follow the link above and see if you can get it working after.
  6. FiercestTrout16 Win User

Using External Hard Drive ?

@GrowlingYapper I own a 4TB external HD that I use to play media off of on my Xbox 360. It was a bit of a pain getting it to recognize it as well as recognize it as a media player which are two totally different things. Do you know if a 4TB would work as
    a media player on an Xbox One. I plan on grabbing a one but want to use my external as a media drive and have no intentions of using it as a stroage for games, etc.
  7. RedEagle501 Win User

Hi, I'm having trouble connecting my external hard drive to my xbox

Hey, Slippery!

Sorry to see any issues with an external hard drive. What type of media are you trying to use on the drive itself? The

Media Player can only see certain types of files
    ; if you aren't using those types, it would be what you are running into. Additionally, if you have any partitions on the hard drive, this might cause some issues with seeing the content as well.

Let us know the above, and the manufacturer and model of your hard drive if those don't help you out. We'll be able to dig into any other issues if we need to after that. :) Thanks for posting!

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines for the Do's and Don'ts as well as the Xbox Insider
    Program Forums
    for help with Xbox Insider Program troubleshooting.
    I'm having the same issue, and searching the forum doesn't seem to offer much help, you seem to be the only one that has replied to anybody on this issue. (Hope you are still working in this department).

Media Player does not seem to recognize the external hard drives, only flash drives.

I tried 2.5 and 3.5 sizes, NTSF, FAT and EX-FAT.

The system recognizes the hard drives as been a media drive but the Media Player does not.

As far as the files in the drive, they are the same files that are recognized by the MP in the flash drives (MP3, MP4, WMV, etc.).

The MP on my XBOX 1 did recognized HDs at one time, but an update or something else stopped that.

I use the XBOX 1 one mostly to play media.

I did not install any other software or apps, neither play games.

The MP does recognize my DLNA servers, but even with a network cable connected seem to have trouble some times, that's why I prefer to play movies from the HD.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you
  8. Mister Quasar Win User

"No files found" when connecting External 2TB HDD

Thanks for reaching out, MrCheekyMonkey!

To clarify, what are the file types for the files on the drive? Not all fie types would be recognized by the system. There's more info on what file types are compatible in the
    Media Player FAQ
  9. GroundOregano94 Win User

Watching movies on Xbox One S

That hard drive must be designated as a media drive. Not formatted as Xbox drive. Because Xbox recognizes SSD it immediately recognizes it as a media drive. Here is troubleshot for external
    hard drives.
    Have you tried to start movies from USB drive? Remember, in settings on your Xbox that drive must be designated as a media drive. You can try reformated it again on your PC and then plug it in again on Xbox. One other thing. If your HDD is
    recognised as media drive on your Xbox, you can format again on your Xbox and set it as media drive again. System/storage - select your media drive and pres a. Then formate it as media drive again. And finally, the question that supposed to be first. Is your
    HDD recognized as a media drive? Is it recognized at all?

Have you tried to change USB ports to plug it in? And last, try a power cycle console described here on the bottom of the page and try plug
    back in your HDD.
Thema:

1. Xbox One Media Player Does Not Recognize Drive - Similar Threads - Media Player Does

2. Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.

in XboX Insiders
    Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.: It has no media server access, and it has an unfriendly UI when navigating through a large library of music. Also it's impossible to transfer from PC to internal storage. It reads metadata...
  3. Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...: I am trying to view my screenshots and clips on my Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive but when I access the Media Player app it tells me to sign in and none of my captures are in the hard...
  4. Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app: If I'm playing a song on windows media player, and I switch to another app, the song plays in the background for around 4 seconds before stopping and the app crashes entirely....
  5. WD Black external drive only reading as media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    WD Black external drive only reading as media player: I have a brand new WD Black external drive. I bought it to move games I’m not currently playing. When I plug it in to the usb port on my Xbox series x, I get a message “media storage ready”. It...
  6. how to access wondows media player on 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to access wondows media player on 360: hos do i connext to windows media player on a 360 4fea8aae-72b7-4ab9-a42d-ae863dbd6086
  7. Media player is harder to use now

in XboX Insiders
    Media player is harder to use now: Very disappointed with the changes. Less functionality and just a pain in the arse. Was so much better before submitted by /u/Realistic_Being_3411 [link] [comments]
  8. Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player: I put in my hp ssd p500 but my xbox reads it as a media player. I wanted to use the ssd as a gigabyte expansion. c016e10d-6337-4924-b2f7-cd883d0d04d1
  9. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b
  10. Why does Xbox Series S crash when listening to background music via Windows Media Player?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Xbox Series S crash when listening to background music via Windows Media Player?: Today I started playing music on my xbox in the background via Windows media player app on xbox via DLNA connection. It worked fine for about 20 minutes, then it began opening up Windows media...