Xbox One headset can hear but can't talk

Discus and support Xbox One headset can hear but can't talk in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have had this problem for a few weeks now. I can hear everyone talking perfectly fine, but they cannot hear me at all. This randomly happened about 4... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by aToiletKilledMe, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Xbox One headset can hear but can't talk

I have had this problem for a few weeks now. I can hear everyone talking perfectly fine, but they cannot hear me at all. This randomly happened about 4 weeks ago and hasn't been working since. I have tried resetting my console and updating my controller.
    I have tried with multiple controllers as well, and I was going to purchase a new headset, but it seems that other people are having this same problem and buying a new headset doesn't work. I definitely didn't do anything to compromise the integrity of my
    headset, so it doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. I just don't know what else to do. I've tried following steps on older posts to check certain settings, but they have since updated Xbox home and the directions are now out of date according to how
    to access certain settings, leaving me lost.

UPDATE: I just figured out that my mic monitoring is turned all the way to zero, but I can't figure out how to turn it up at all. Could this be the source of my problem?

:)

aToiletKilledMe, Nov 9, 2020
  2. MsDareDevil Win User

Headset Troubleshooting

Correction. I can still hear game sounds on my new headset. I just can't hear other people talk.
  3. HAZMAT RADIO Win User

Xbone headset issue: can hear but can't talk

Hey there! Usually the issue is going to come down to a piece of hardware that's not working or has failed. For someone to just say "Xbox is aware of the issue and are working to fix it" is not identifying the problem.

I would also believe that if this were and issue with all Xbox consoles, there'd be something more definitive.

I've posted a bunch of info down below to try and you may have already done that. You may want to try and figure out what items are working or which ones are not and to even try your headset and controller on a friends Xbox console
    to see if the issue follows over to his Xbox or if everything works fine there.

What kind of headset are you using? Make and Model

Are you using a stereo headset adapter plugged into the controller?

Does your controller come with the built in 3.5mm jack?

Are you seeing the Mic muted icon in the upper right part of the Home screen?

When you start a party, does it say We can't find a microphone for these people?

The Xbox One controller uses the same wiring standard that Android phones use (CTIA). If you have an Android phone, plug in your headset and see if you hear anything and try and make a call using the headset, make sure the mic is working too.

Apple phones use an OMTP standard and the mic and ground wire are flipped and the mic doesn't work on the Xbox controller.

Connecting a compatible headset to Xbox One

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset

Troubleshooting basics -

- Make sure the mic mute switch on the headset is not on

- Clean the jack that plugs into the bottom of the controller and re-seat the headset jack

- Check the mic on the headset. Some mics are detachable, so re-seat the mic on the headset

- Hard reset the Xbox - Hard reset the Xbox by holding down the power button on the front of the Xbox for 15 seconds. After the 15 seconds let go of the power button then restart the Xbox.

- Try another profile on your Xbox console

- Remove your profile and add it back to the Xbox console

Xbox One Chat Headset troubleshooting

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/wired-headset-help

With your headset plugged into the bottom of your controller

- Hit the Xbox Button on your controller and instead of choosing settings, choose Audio

- Make sure the Headset Mic is set to On and headset volume and mic monitoring is turned up

- Check the headset itself just to make sure there's no mute enabled on the headset

Start a party and see if the circle lights up around your gamer pic

On your Xbox, make sure the headset audio is set correctly - if this fixes it you're good

Settings > Display and Sound > Audio Output > Headset Audio - Stereo Uncompressed

Controller troubleshooting. If it's a software issue with the controller, this should help.

1) Settings > Kinect and Devices > Devices and Accessories > More Options

2) Select Firmware version, (even if it states no update available) and then choose Update Now.

- When its done it should state no updates needed

- Choose Close

3) Choose More Options > Select Assigned to and re-assign your profile to your controller

4) Buzz the controller. It should buzz. If it doesn't, either the feature is turned off or the batteries are low. Use new batteries and test again.

5) Go back to Configure and choose Restore Original. This resets the controller back to defaults

6) Pull the batteries out of the controller and leave them out until the Xbox has restarted from the step below

7) Hard reset the Xbox - Hard reset the Xbox by holding down the power button on the front of the Xbox for 15 seconds. After the 15 seconds let go of the power button then restart the Xbox.

8) Put batteries back in the controller

9) Re-sync your Xbox One controller to refresh the connection back to the Xbox.

- If you're not sure how - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-a-wireless-controller

10) With your headset plugged into the bottom of your controller

- Hit the Xbox Button on your controller and instead of choosing settings, choose Audio

- Make sure the Headset volume is all the way up

11) Now test the headset and see if it's working.

If your headset and mic are working on an Android phone but not working with the controller, it could be an issue with the controller.

- Consider a console reset at some point choosing the Keep my Games and Apps option
  4. Mister Getafix Win User

Xbone headset issue: can hear but can't talk

Hi there!

Just wanted to check in and see if you were able to follow the steps provided by xHAZMAT RADIOx?

Those are great steps to follow for this issue.

Feel free to post back and let us know how that went!
  5. KindBunny591886 Win User

Xbox One Headset, Can hear Others But Mic Won't talk back

I have the same problems as all of you I can't do anything with my mic, I can hear everyone but when I try to talk I can't hear myself and no one can hear me and I bought a new controller and headset today and it's still not working. It has to be the console
  6. OneLorde365 Win User

Can hear but can't talk????

Have you checked the mic's compatibility with Xbox? Perhaps the version or company doesn't support that specific microphone...
Thema:

Xbox One headset can hear but can't talk

1. Xbox One headset can hear but can't talk - Similar Threads - headset hear can't

2. My HyperX headset won't work. My laptop recognises it to be plugged in, but I can't hear...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My HyperX headset won't work. My laptop recognises it to be plugged in, but I can't hear...: The issue started when I was gaming with some friends, and then around the time I was turning everything off, I noticed that I didn't have any audio. So I tried searching for guides and nothing...
  3. I can't hear game chat in my Wireless Headset, but party chat works, why?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't hear game chat in my Wireless Headset, but party chat works, why?: I have an Xbox Series X and an Xbox Wireless Headset that I'm using to play Halo Infinite. Unless I form a party chat with friends, they can hear me in game chat but I can't hear them. My right...
  4. can't hear my friends after i plug in my headset

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    can't hear my friends after i plug in my headset: I can't hear mu friends after i plug in my headset in game like if we are playing fortnite right after i plug my headset their voices disappears and i can't hear them but they can hear me. im on...
  5. I'm having a problem with my controller and headset I can't hear anything aside party and...

in XboX Insiders
    I'm having a problem with my controller and headset I can't hear anything aside party and...: I cant hear anything until I plug my mic in at different speeds it's very annoying does anyone have a fix? submitted by /u/RemoteAd4855 [link] [comments]
  6. Astro a20 headset - People can't hear me

in XBoX Accessibility
    Astro a20 headset - People can't hear me: People can barely hear me when I talk into my a20 headset. The Audio is fine, and I can hear perfectly but I have to scream for people to hear what I'm saying. I'm also using it on my pc...
  7. Razer Kaira Pro Wireless headset can't hear friends in party chat

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Razer Kaira Pro Wireless headset can't hear friends in party chat: Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, I bought a Razer Kaira Pro Wireless headset for Xbox one and it is a good headset but there is a problem. When I try and play with friends and join...
  8. Why can't I hear sound through TV when headset is on?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I hear sound through TV when headset is on?: My missus likes to watch, listen to new games I play through the TV, while I wear a headset. Why has this feature been removed? On PS5/PS4 you're given the option if you want the sound muted...
  9. Can't hear party chat through headset with xbox app on PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't hear party chat through headset with xbox app on PC: Hello, I have searched for this problem through google and haven't quite found anyone with quite the same problem Maybe I'm not using the right verbage to describe my problem But I recently got...
  10. Can't hear through headset

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't hear through headset: My headset works fine on anything else but when I plug it into my controller I can't hear anything and no one can hear me. It was working fine until a couple of days ago. I don't know whats...