Xbox One - hardware issues with Wifi and Kinect only with external USB 3.0 drive plugged in

Discus and support Xbox One - hardware issues with Wifi and Kinect only with external USB 3.0 drive plugged in in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I posted this earlier, but no one at MS seems to be reading so here it goes again: The following issues have been experienced with my Xbox One... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by amstel78, Oct 31, 2017.

1. amstel78
    amstel78 Guest

Xbox One - hardware issues with Wifi and Kinect only with external USB 3.0 drive plugged in

I posted this earlier, but no one at MS seems to be reading so here it goes again:

The following issues have been experienced with my Xbox One (limited edition) and an external 5TB Seagate hard drive. These issues are repeatable. The Xbox has all of the latest stable system updates already applied.

Description of main issue:

When performing a soft reboot of the Xbox One with the Seagate drive plugged into any of the USB ports (2 on rear, 1 on side), the Xbox will fail to recognize a connect Kinect camera and WiFi network hardware (have not tested with CAT-5) fails to initialize.

The Kinect camera can be reinitialized by unplugging/plugging back into the Xbox. Similarly, the network hardware can be restarted by going into settings and performing a test, upon which the Xbox states that there appears to be an issue with the hardware
    and will attempt to turn the network hardware back on.

When performing a hard reboot (i.e. holding power button on console down for ~8-10 seconds) with the Seagate drive connected, the Kinect camera does not loose connectivity. The network hardware sometimes remains working; other times it does not. If the
    Wifi is not activated after a hard reboot, reactivation requires going into settings and performing a test.

With the Xbox set to "Instant On" in the power settings menu, turning the system off and then back on with the drive connected does not pose any issues. Both Kinect and Wifi hardware remain functional upon system start. It is only a soft reboot that causes
    issues with the drive connected.

When the Seagate drive is disconnected, performing a soft restart/reboot causes no issues at all with Kinect or network hardware.

Testing parameters:

1. With the external USB 3.0 drive disconnected, performing soft reboots no longer causes Kinect or network hardware faults;

2. Connecting a non USB 3.0 drive to the system does not cause reboot issues with Kinect or network hardware;

3. The soft reset issues are repeatable only as long as the Seagate USB 3.0 drive is connected to the Xbox.

4. Xbox power settings do not have an effect on outcome; i.e. instant on vs power saving does not change the result. Having external drives power off when the Xbox is off, or kept on when the Xbox is off, also does not impact the outcome.

5. The outcome remains the same regardless of which USB port the external Seagate drive is connected to.

Conclusions:

At first I thought I was having a hardware issue with the Xbox, but my testing leads me to believe that is not the case; rather, there appears to be something wrong with the external drive, cable, or software.

I don't believe anything is wrong with the drive however as it's only 1.5 years old and works fine for all intents and purposes. I've tried swapping the included USB 3.0 A male to B connector with a different one. The results are the same. I've read that
    USB 3.0 drives may generate RF interference that can cause network issues. I have not attempted to distance the drive from the Xbox. I will do that once I have a longer cable.*

The only other reason I can think off is a software issue. As such, I am requesting that someone in the Xbox division kindly test to see if similar anomalies are experienced, and if so, to determine the cause and provide a solution.

*I did get a longer, different party USB3 cable and it didn't make a difference. Neither did the latest fall software update.

:)

amstel78, Oct 31, 2017
  2. amstel78
    amstel78 Guest
    Kinect not recognized after soft reboot/restart

Are any of you guys using an external USB 3.0 hard drive?

It's been a couple of months, but decided to do some testing. I originally posted the following over in the support section, but will repost it here for visibility.

The following issues have been experienced with my Xbox One (limited edition) and an external 5TB Seagate hard drive. These issues are repeatable.

When performing a soft reboot of the Xbox One with the Seagate drive plugged into any of the USB ports (2 on rear, 1 on side), the Xbox will fail to recognize a connect Kinect camera and WiFi network hardware (have not tested with CAT-5) fails to initialize.

The Kinect camera can be reinitialized by unplugging/plugging back into the Xbox. Similarly, the network hardware can be restarted by going into settings and performing a test, upon which the Xbox states that there appears to be an issue with the hardware

When performing a hard reboot (i.e. holding power button on console down for ~8-10 seconds) with the Seagate drive connected, the Kinect camera does not loose connectivity. The network hardware sometimes remains working; other times it does not. If the
    Wifi is not activated after a hard reboot, reactivation requires going into settings and performing a test.

With the Xbox set to "Instant On" in the power settings menu, turning the system off and then back on with the drive connected does not pose any issues. Both Kinect and Wifi hardware remain functional upon system start. It is only a soft reboot that causes

When the Seagate drive is disconnected, performing a soft restart/reboot causes no issues at all with Kinect or network hardware.

Testing parameters:

1. With the external USB 3.0 drive disconnected, performing soft reboots no longer causes Kinect or network hardware faults;

2. Connecting a non USB 3.0 drive to the system does not cause reboot issues with Kinect or network hardware;

3. The soft reset issues are repeatable only as long as the Seagate USB 3.0 drive is connected to the Xbox.

4. Xbox power settings do not have an effect on outcome; i.e. instant on vs power saving does not change the result. Having external drives power off when the Xbox is off, or kept on when the Xbox is off, also does not impact the outcome.

5. The outcome remains the same regardless of which USB port the external Seagate drive is connected to.

Conclusions:

At first I thought I was having a hardware issue with the Xbox, but my testing leads me to believe that is not the case; rather, there appears to be something wrong with the external drive, cable, or software.

I don't believe anything is wrong with the drive however as it's only 1.5 years old and works fine for all intents and purposes. I've tried swapping the included USB 3.0 A male to B connector with a different one. The results are the same. I've read that
    USB 3.0 drives may generate RF interference that can cause network issues. I have not attempted to distance the drive from the Xbox. I will do that once I have a longer cable.

The only other reason I can think off is a software issue. As such, I am requesting that someone in the Xbox division kindly test to see if similar anomalies are experienced, and if so, to determine the cause and provide a solution.

amstel78, Oct 31, 2017
  3. amstel78
    amstel78 Guest
    Xbox One - external USB 3.0 hard drive causing network and Kinect issues

The following issues have been experienced with my Xbox One (limited edition) and an external 5TB Seagate hard drive. These issues are repeatable. The Xbox has all of the latest stable system updates already applied.

Testing parameters:

Conclusions:

USB 3.0 drives may generate RF interference that can cause network issues. I have not attempted to distance the drive from the Xbox. I will do that once I have a longer cable.

amstel78, Oct 31, 2017
  4. amstel78 Win User

Kinect not recognized after soft reboot/restart

Are any of you guys using an external USB 3.0 hard drive?

It's been a couple of months, but decided to do some testing. I originally posted the following over in the support section, but will repost it here for visibility.

The following issues have been experienced with my Xbox One (limited edition) and an external 5TB Seagate hard drive. These issues are repeatable.

Testing parameters:

Conclusions:

5. Obsessive Power Win User

NEW 1TB EXTERNAL.HARD DRIVE NOT WORKING

Hi,

Is your external hard drive rated USB 3.0?

Did you try your external drive on all the USB ports?

If you have a PC or laptop and plug it in, does the computer detect it?

The Xbox One supports all types of external USB 3.0 hard drives, but, could you let us know which drive you purchased please?
  6. Dbole007 Win User

Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and cannot be formatted

Are you plugging the external drive in the USB port on the left side of the console?? This is the port that is USB 3.0 for using the drives as an external drive for your games and apps.
  7. x24hrs2livex Win User

Xbox One Digital Download Transfer

1. Plug external hard drive into Xbox One with good connection.

2. Download games.

3. Unplug external drive.

4. Take external drive to Xbox One with bad connection.

5. Plug external drive in.

6. Play games.

7. Say thank you.

Note: External drive needs to be USB 3.0 and have 256GB of free space.
  8. StuartATrueRed Win User

Seagate external hard drive for Xbox one x

Is your Seagate drive a USB 3.0 drive. If it is a USB 1 or 2 then it will not be fast enough to work on the Xbox One. You would need to purchase a USB 3.0 external hard drive for it to work.
Thema:

1. Xbox One - hardware issues with Wifi and Kinect only with external USB 3.0 drive plugged in - Similar Threads - hardware issues Wifi

2. Issue with either hardware or Console...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Issue with either hardware or Console...: Hello! I am seeking help with a random issue that just started happening today, as of just turning on my xbox one after 3 or so weeks of not using it at around maybe 11:00 PM. My issue is that I...
  3. Advice on hardware issue? Xbox powers off immediately after turning it on.

in XboX Insiders
    Advice on hardware issue? Xbox powers off immediately after turning it on.: I have an older xbox one s that will often give me trouble when I go to turn it on. I hit the button, it chimes, the light comes on, then it shuts back down after a second or two. It doesnt even...
  4. hardware issues where my a y x b dpad rb lb l3 r3 won’t work, I’m trying to send in my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    hardware issues where my a y x b dpad rb lb l3 r3 won’t work, I’m trying to send in my...: So my buttons will not work, they worked maybe 30 mins beforehand where I sat the controller down and picked it back up and they were unresponsive, My warranty is still covered and the big issue...
  5. HardWare Connectivity Issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    HardWare Connectivity Issue: Hey, recently I’ve been having trouble with the connectivity on my console , it won’t recognise any networks or anything. I keep receiving an error message saying something about restarting my...
  6. Known Hardware Issue with Series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Known Hardware Issue with Series X?: Before I file a BBB complaint, file an official complaint with the Washington State AG office, and seek legal advice regarding class action, I'm going to throw this out for discussion. My Xbox...
  7. How to ask about hardware issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to ask about hardware issues: There should be better communication to report problems on consoles a32dad77-d8db-4d35-9b52-4a84ac1754c4
  8. Wi-Fi not connecting. hardware issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wi-Fi not connecting. hardware issue: Hey all. So my Xbox was working perfectly fine connecting to my hotspot with no issues. I was trying to get my 360 games to work as they won’t connect to the internet so I reset my MAC adress. Now...
  9. What kind of hardware issue am I having when the monitor turns off and fans start spinning...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What kind of hardware issue am I having when the monitor turns off and fans start spinning...: Been having this issue lately whenever I play some games like disney speedstorm, my pc is still on and fans start spinning faster but I still hear sound coming from the PC. Been searching and...
  10. Controller Hardware or Software issue?

in XboX Insiders
    Controller Hardware or Software issue?: So I've had an issue with a controller for awhile now, when I try to hold the Xbox home button (to bring up the power off, restart prompts), it will regularly open the blade menu (as if I only...