Xbox One games take up way too much space

Discus and support Xbox One games take up way too much space in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Xbox One games take up a ridiculous amount of space. For example, Cod: Ghosts takes 40GB and TitanFall is rumored to take 40GB as well. That's already... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Syfern, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Syfern
    Syfern Guest

Xbox One games take up a ridiculous amount of space. For example, Cod: Ghosts takes 40GB and TitanFall is rumored to take 40GB as well. That's already 80GB without DLC. Not to mention you only have 362GB of space. I'm just wondering why these games take
    up so much space and what could be done about it in the future.

:)

Syfern, Feb 24, 2014
  2. dK Pearson
    dK Pearson Guest
    Very Disappointed

I was hesitant at first about kinect too, but it really is a good feature to use! Used game policy was taken away ages ago you can trade in xbox one games as you could the 360 games now. You are right about the game installs though, takes forever..and takes
    up way too much space on a harddrive that isn't very big to begin with.

dK Pearson, Feb 24, 2014
  3. not enough space

is there a way to take games off my gamer tag so it doesnt take up so much space

WyattEarp1985, Feb 24, 2014
  4. Xbox One games take up way too much space

Unfortunately, that is just the size of the games.

MS have said repeatedly that they're hoping to provide support for external storage in the future, and so hopefully that will be a solution.

In the mean time, you only have to install the games you are currently playing, and you can uninstall and reinstall all games (including digital titles) as many times as you want.

...so if you end up running low on space in the future, you can just uninstall the older titles you aren't playing at that time. Then swap them over if you want to go back to them.

Remember, your saves etc are all on the cloud, and your vids etc can be saved there too. So the storage is primarily JUST for game installs anyway.

David Russell Hook, Feb 25, 2014
  5. HydRaulix, this is the future of gaming and it's unlikely that games will use less storage in the future. In fact they are likely to grow.

One of the largest disadvantages the 360 had to the PS3 was it had a standard dvd drive as opposed to a bluray drive. This is the reason that later titles such as COD Ghosts & GTA V had multiple discs. With games increasingly having better graphics, they
    require more storage. To ensure that the games run smoothly, they're installed to the HD to remove the slowest component from the flow.

I know that this isn't the answer that you were looking for but as Hooksan pointed out, the only real thing any of us can do in the future is manage our data storage and ensure that the games that we are actively using are the ones still installed, while
    removing games that we have moved on from.

Rajesh from IT, Feb 25, 2014
  6. It just does not make sense though. How is it that Call of Duty: Ghosts takes up 40 Gigs but Grand Theft Auto 5( a game way bigger) takes up only less than 10 Gigs?

ItalianGangstax, Jun 21, 2014
  7. EvilBoris GX
    EvilBoris GX Guest
    Grand Theft Auto 5 isn't out for Xbox One, so the version that you are referring to is the Xbox 360 version.

GTA 5 also cheats a little bit as it installs Disc one Entirely to the HDD but then also uses all of the data on Disc 2 at the same time, so the game is probably close to 19gb in size.

Xbox One games install everything to the HDD and don't use the disc at all. I would expect that

The Xbox One versions of games are higher resolution, they look better and sound better. The files required to let this happen are larger in size which is why the next gen games will continue to take up more space.

EvilBoris GX, Jun 21, 2014
  8. Xbox One games take up way too much space

EvilBoris hit the nail on the head with that explanation. The size of the game install is all down to the size of the graphics data and the resolution and complexity of said data, not on how much you can do in the game. GTA V is actually about 16GB. The
    reason it is so large is not because the play world or the missions are more complex, it is in fact all down to the textures. Rockstar really pushed the ceiling here with regards to graphics for GTA V on the last gen systems.

Since it's all down the texture detail and resolution, it is likely that GTA V on the Xbox One - which was announced last week, will also likely be around the 35-40GB size too, even though graphics aside it is essentially the same game.

Obsessive Power, Jun 21, 2014
  9. Bazajaytee
    Bazajaytee Guest
    Previously with the Xbox 360 you didn't have to install games as DVD's spin faster than Blu-Ray discs do meaning most of the game could stream from the disc.

Blu-Ray's require the more complex items like HD graphics to be installed to the HDD for faster access times. Without it you'd see pop up and load in issues as it tried to get it from the Blu-Ray.

This is also why on Xbox 360 you couldn't install some games to USB devices as USB 2.0 wasn't fast enough to stream the content into the game, the Xbox One has USB 3.0 which is why external drives can now handle game installs of all kinds.

Bazajaytee, Jun 22, 2014
  10. MaggotKing18
    MaggotKing18 Guest
    I feel your pain. But sadly this is the new standard for gaming. The best advice I can give is keep a eye out for good deals on external hard drives. But remember that the minimum size allowed is 256g. I myself found a 4tb external drive for $146, needles
    to say I jumped on the deal right away lol.

MaggotKing18, Jun 23, 2014
  11. My brothers and i got an Xbox One for Christmas this year off our Parents. First we discovered that our 500GB console was in fact a 400GB console due to software taking up space. And then after TWO DAYS of installing only 5 games, our console now only has
    around 180GB left? This is something that is just really disappointing about the Xbox One. Whats the point of getting an Xbox if after less then a dozen games you will then have t go out and buy a new hard drive? This is something that should be clearly outlined
    to anyone who is purchasing this console, and should be resolved in the future.

CuckooNine73808, Dec 30, 2014
  12. It already has been resolved. Buy an external hard drive, problem fixed. You can't have bigger games with better graphics and keep the disc and download sizes the same as the Xbox 360, it just doesn't work like that.

Obsessive Power, Dec 31, 2014
  13. br3nd0n264
    br3nd0n264 Guest

None of this makes any sense how come on origins a copy of battlefield 4 is only 18 gb when pc has better graphics than next Gen? That makes no sense when xbox one and p s4 have statistically worse graphics

br3nd0n264, Jan 16, 2015
  14. Hey there br3nd0n264!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already. This way you can receive support specifically tailored to you. Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried. Thanks in advance!

Mister Quimby, Nov 1, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: