Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and ...

Discus and support Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and ... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought a Seagate Expansion 2TB 3.5-Inch Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 for my Xbox One. When I plug it into the Xbox One, it is detected but... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by lacey1979, Mar 2, 2015.

1. lacey1979
    lacey1979 Guest

Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and ...

I bought a Seagate Expansion 2TB 3.5-Inch Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 for my Xbox One. When I plug it into the Xbox One, it is detected but only for music and other media. I cannot use it for storing games/apps and there is no option to reformat
    the drive for games/apps. I have done a lot of searching on the internet but can't find anything to help. I can see the external drive when plugging it into a laptop - I used Disk Management to remove the NTFS partition and also to reformat the disk - still
    no luck. I now have an $80 external drive that is pretty worthless since I am at 96% capacity on my Xbox One and need to move games/apps over ASAP. Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

lacey1979, Mar 2, 2015
  2. COD 2 HALO
    COD 2 HALO Guest
    How do I go about buying an external hard drive for the xbox one?

I use a Seagate Expansion 2tb usb 3.0 (connected to the back usb 3.0 on the XBOX ONE). 5200 rpm usb powered

I love it. Much faster and quiet!!

COD 2 HALO, Mar 2, 2015
  3. External hard drive help!!!!

I am also having the same problem. I bought a brand new Seagate 3.0 USB 2 TB external hard drive, even formatted it on the computer, and the Xbox says "External Media Storage Ready" when plugged in.

Mike OnThe Mike, Mar 2, 2015
  4. Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and ...

I have the same HDD unplug your hard drive power up your console press console button 8 seconds un plug from wall socket for 30 seconds, don't have your console plugged into a surge protector, plug back in to wall socket power up your console, plug your
    HDD in see if that helps.

You can try plugging into other usb ports.

Try a new USB 3.0 cable.

GrowlingYapper, Mar 2, 2015
  5. NanoPrint76
    NanoPrint76 Guest
    I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy! I'm about to throw it out the window

NanoPrint76, Apr 26, 2015
  6. Dbole007
    Dbole007 Guest
    Are you plugging the external drive in the USB port on the left side of the console?? This is the port that is USB 3.0 for using the drives as an external drive for your games and apps.

Dbole007, Apr 26, 2015
  7. ShrewdVulcan
    ShrewdVulcan Guest
    The Xbox One will prompt you to format the drive when you first plug it in:

support.xbox.com/.../manage-storage

And if the drive does not meet the specs:

- USB 3.0

- > 256 GB size

then it will be treated as "media storage", which is what you are seeing.

Please post the exact model/type information here for us to review the drive specs. The first thing to look at it is whether this drive is actually USB 3.0.

ShrewdVulcan, Apr 26, 2015
  8. ShrewdVulcan
    ShrewdVulcan Guest

@dbole007

You can use any of the three USB ports on the Xbox One (2 in rear, 1 in side). They are all USB 3.0 and there is no difference between them.

I have used each of the three ports with no issues at various times.

ShrewdVulcan, Apr 26, 2015
  9. Malacath
    Malacath Guest
    Yes all ports are USB 3.0.

I have two HDD's plugged into the rear ones and use them both for storage.

I recently bought a new HDD and it wasn't detected at first.

I found I had to fully shut the machine down then switch back on. Only when the console had finished booting up did I plug in the HDD.

I was not prompted though I had to go to the settings app then to storage management then select the new HDD and choose the format option.

Malacath, Apr 27, 2015
  10. Gurney72
    Gurney72 Guest
    I brought my son 3tb had the same trouble. I backed up the software installed on the drive on my pc. Then formatted the drive then pluged it into his xbox one boooòm it worked found the drive straight away. Then went through the setup process

Gurney72, Oct 31, 2018
  11. COD 2 HALO Win User

How do I go about buying an external hard drive for the xbox one?

I use a Seagate Expansion 2tb usb 3.0 (connected to the back usb 3.0 on the XBOX ONE). 5200 rpm usb powered

I love it. Much faster and quiet!!
  12. Njal the Blue Win User

External Hard Drives for the Xbox One

I am using 2TB and 4TB USB 3.0 HDD externals run through a USB 3.0 hub and all is fine. It was the cost effective way as I could buy one, then when I had more cash add another. 16TB is the maximum external storage you can go up to.

I have 312 games installed and still have 2.6TB of space left, so will be a while longer before I need to expand again.

Edit: My externals are just off the shelf Seagate drives., the 2TB is the Xbox themed one, the other just a bog standard Seagate.
  13. WPAK Win User

Hd externo seagate 2tb 3.0 não armazena jogos?

Web translation:

Seagate 2tb 3.0 external hard drive does not store games?

I have this problem I bought an external HD Seagate 2tb 3.0 is only recognizing for media and music and the live does not let you download the application for that too.

Response:

Hi there,

just to be sure are you using a USB 3.0 cable to connect the seagate drive (which I assume is USB 3.0 compatible) to the console?

If so then be sure to try the steps mentioned on this support page:
    https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/storage/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage

Web translated response:

Olá,

só para ter certeza de que você está usando um cabo USB 3.0 para conectar a unidade seagate (que eu assumo é compatível com USB 3.0) ao console?

Nesse caso, tente as etapas mencionadas nesta página de suporte:
    https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/storage/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage
  14. Dbole007 Win User

Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and cannot be formatted

Are you plugging the external drive in the USB port on the left side of the console?? This is the port that is USB 3.0 for using the drives as an external drive for your games and apps.
  15. Gurney72 Win User

Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and cannot be formatted

I brought my son 3tb had the same trouble. I backed up the software installed on the drive on my pc. Then formatted the drive then pluged it into his xbox one boooòm it worked found the drive straight away. Then went through the setup process
Thema:

1. Xbox One External Storage (Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0) wont allow games/app saves and ... - Similar Threads - External Storage Seagate

2. How do I download a game and save it to external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I download a game and save it to external storage: It's not recognizing my phone is hooked up 514d0140-7277-4cdc-a56e-2413691971e0
  3. Xbox One S not registering external storage when it was fine this morning until I ended my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S not registering external storage when it was fine this morning until I ended my...: My xbox is not detecting my external hard drive anymore. It was fine when I turned on the xbox this morning and started streaming. I could see all of my installed games and everything was fine....
  4. My external storage device says it’s full but it’s empty. How do I fix this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external storage device says it’s full but it’s empty. How do I fix this?: My Seagate Xbox External Storage device says that it is full while’s it’s not. I tried restarting the Xbox, power cycles, resetting the Xbox, and other usb ports but it still says it’s full how do...
  5. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  6. Xbox one S digital external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S digital external storage: If I add an external storage to my Xbox one s all digital console, will I have to transfer games back and forth to be able to use them? Or does it work together, variations playing off of the...
  7. Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.: Game data deleted on internal storage of my Xbox X for only one game (Dead Space) after installing a external harddrive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still nothing. HELP!...
  8. If I put my physical game data into a external storage and plug it into my series s could i...

in XBoX on Consoles
    If I put my physical game data into a external storage and plug it into my series s could i...: So I have an Xbox one s and I feel it’s time to finally upgrade to a new gen console. being the Xbox one s has a disk drive I have a bunch of game disks of games I play. Now I have an external...
  9. Why can I only play some games directly from external storage?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can I only play some games directly from external storage?: I have a 5tb external hard-drive. I have it formated for the xbox series x. I have it almost full with games, but only some will play directly from it. Others I have to constantly swap back and...
  10. Okay so external storage device

in XBoX on Consoles
    Okay so external storage device: I have tried literally every "Useful" tip under the sun at this point and it's STILL not being detected, it was working fine one night then I woke up and it hasn't worked ever since....