Xbox One does not respond to IR commands from media remote

Discus and support Xbox One does not respond to IR commands from media remote in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My xbox one will not respond to any commands from my Xbox One Media Remote. I have checked and made sure that the remote is in fact sending a signal... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by EDavisNC, Apr 4, 2016.

1. EDavisNC
    EDavisNC Guest

My xbox one will not respond to any commands from my Xbox One Media Remote. I have checked and made sure that the remote is in fact sending a signal with another device. I think it's possible my xbox one's IR sensor is simply broken, but I'm hoping that
    this is a fixable software issue. The problem has persisted since I got the remote a year ago. Some days the remote will be recognized by the console for about half an hour and then it goes back to ignoring the IR commands. I've tried full rebooting my xbox
    as well as resetting it. This does not fix the problem.

:)

EDavisNC, Apr 4, 2016
  2. JohnnyDangerX2, Apr 4, 2016
  3. MacGeekProG5
    MacGeekProG5 Guest
    2/14 Update broke harmony remote functionality for TV app.

Hi I have a harmony remote programmed to work with my Xbox one. Until yesterday everything worked just fine, then after the update the media controls from the remote do not control anything anymore. I can hit the pause button, the icons pop up and the pause
    button is big like I just selected it.... but nothing happens, I hit stop, same thing.

It seems the problem is only when I use the remote media commands, when I use the directional buttons to select the icon on screen the function executes perfectly by sending out the IR command with Kinect. The remote media controls work in every other app,
    it just doesn't send out the IR command in the TV app.

MacGeekProG5, Apr 4, 2016
  4. Xbox One does not respond to IR commands from media remote

Hi there,

Does the sun shine onto your Xbox? Or a strong light source? that could be the issue. Is the console quite near the floor? that could also be the issue. I find with mine that most functions work by pointing the remote in the general vicinity of the console
    but for certain commands like volume, I have to point the remoter more to the floor for some reason.

If any of those don't fix the issue, and you're certain that there couldn't be any other IR sources interfering. Then the only option remaining would be to try another remote or send in the console for repair I'm afraid.

Skeeter Quill, Apr 5, 2016
  5. EDavisNC
    EDavisNC Guest
    I've tried another remote and I've tried it in a dark room. No dice. I think it really might just be broken.

EDavisNC, Oct 31, 2018
  6. Skeeter Quill Win User

Hi there,

Does the sun shine onto your Xbox? Or a strong light source? that could be the issue. Is the console quite near the floor? that could also be the issue. I find with mine that most functions work by pointing the remote in the general vicinity of the console
    but for certain commands like volume, I have to point the remoter more to the floor for some reason.

If any of those don't fix the issue, and you're certain that there couldn't be any other IR sources interfering. Then the only option remaining would be to try another remote or send in the console for repair I'm afraid.
  7. EDavisNC Win User

I've tried another remote and I've tried it in a dark room. No dice. I think it really might just be broken.
  8. JohnnyDangerX2 Win User

IR Extender or Repeater Question

No, not in the way I need. The Kinect does push IR signal to other devices, but it wont accept a signal from the remote to push to the One. I thought it was at first too, but it is not according to Microsofts XBOX One Media Remote Page. See the "Using
    The Media Remote" here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/xbox-one-media-remote-info#a9c721fbfb30407aaf1cfdb82bad46f8
  9. reforc3 Win User

Syncing Xbox media remote on a series X

Hi, the Xbox Media Remote controller does not get paired with your console instead it uses the IR blaster.

Do your consoles are near or next to each other? Try by removing the batteries for a few seconds and by blocking the IR receiver from your Xbox One Console so the Series X gets the commands (aim to the button next to the USB port in the front of the console).
  10. fireboy92k(2) Win User

xbox one media remote control tv volume WITHOUT Kinect ... possible?

No, it's not a universal remote: (www.xbox.com/.../media-remote)

The remote controls TV/receiver power and volume through Kinect, or an IR extender cable (cable not included).

You need Kinect or IR Extenders.

support.xbox.com/.../use-external-ir-with-xbox-one
Thema:

1. Xbox One does not respond to IR commands from media remote - Similar Threads - does respond commands

2. Does Microsoft even care? Quality across the board is horrendous.

in XboX Insiders
    Does Microsoft even care? Quality across the board is horrendous.: Ive seen countless consumer feedback negatively reviewing microsoft and xbox as a brand nowadays. The UI is uninspired, continuously redundant, and filled with ads to the point that it’s ugly and...
  3. Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?: I am trying to play some black ops three zombies with my friends but I cannot join them because bo3 says my nat type is strict. But when I go to my Xbox's network settings it says open and all...
  4. when you complete a task in minecraft but does not give a code what do you do?

in XBoX on Windows
    when you complete a task in minecraft but does not give a code what do you do?: I did these tasks that give you items and minecoins but I did not get the coins it has? bb87f0b9-be24-4578-9c20-4e75c285374b
  5. Does limited warranty cover any case damage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does limited warranty cover any case damage?: The bottom panel and back panel broke off my xbox series s and its causing massive overheating and i cant play any games or even watch youtube for that matter. Does limited warranty cover this?...
  6. Does clearing a cache in 2024 for a 360 resolve the error code 80151006

in XBoX on Windows
    Does clearing a cache in 2024 for a 360 resolve the error code 80151006: So recently set up my old 360 and ran into the error code 80151006 I found a old post from 2013 saying to clear your cache I was wondering if that would still apply now in 2024 or would there be...
  7. How long does it take for Microsoft@security to respond??

in XBoX on Windows
    How long does it take for Microsoft@security to respond??: I sent a email (that i wouldn’t like to get into details) to Microsoft@security and its nearly been a month do they ever respond 0f61ef18-0f88-4e9f-a702-3b97066c50da
  8. When I press my buttons on the controller it does not respond How do I fix this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I press my buttons on the controller it does not respond How do I fix this?: I have used this Xbox for a year and have not had any issues but as of today I logged in and tried entering my passkey however the the LT and RT work and the joysticks move around but the rest of...
  9. Xbox freezes, crashes, and does not respond

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox freezes, crashes, and does not respond: My Xbox keeps freezing mid games and crashes. Whenever I press the Xbox button the screen only dims the guide does not show up. Eventually after a couple of the minutes the game will unfreeze or...
  10. How long does Microsoft take to respond an account suspension appeal

in XBoX Accessibility
    How long does Microsoft take to respond an account suspension appeal: I got my xbox/microsoft account suspended and i wanted to appeal my suspension, how long does it take to get an answer from microsoft f6dce858-9f36-4766-b4b7-93371edcc213