Xbox Live cloud saved games corrupted my save game

Discus and support Xbox Live cloud saved games corrupted my save game in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have contacted support about an issue with my cloud saved games. This issue is that it seems one or more of my cloud saved games for GTA have been... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by nrbrook, Jan 15, 2014.

1. nrbrook
    nrbrook Guest

I have contacted support about an issue with my cloud saved games. This issue is that it seems one or more of my cloud saved games for GTA have been corrupted. When I load GTA, I get the error 0x8007045D. Having been through several steps to try to resolve
    this issue, I have reached a dead end with support — my save game is corrupt and that's it. The support team can't pass the issue on to engineers so I guess any future save games on xbox live could well be corrupted as the issue won't be resolved. This is
    terrible support. How can I trust xbox live again? I pay for this service and you have lost my data. It might just be a game but I've put many hours into the save game and now it's just gone, and that's that. End of story. Cheers for your money, better
    luck next time.

I feel like this issue has not been taken seriously enough. Is there any way of escalating it? Is there a way to make a formal complaint?

:)

nrbrook, Jan 15, 2014
  2. Munkey Boy
    Munkey Boy Guest
    Questions for new buyer

You don't need Gold for cloud saves, Silver membership works for that also.

Manage Game Saves in Cloud | Games On Xbox One

Munkey Boy, Jan 15, 2014
  3. Did MS give up on "the cloud"?

Speaking in a somewhat related direction, cloud saving saved my ass, last night. (No pun intended.) For whatever reason, my save for Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO was corrupt...corrupted(?). Anyway, I deleted the local save file, rebooted the game, and it sync'd up with my XBL save, and I was good to go.

Bonemeal2pointOh, Jan 15, 2014
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

onyxishere, Jan 15, 2014
  5. nrbrook
    nrbrook Guest
    Yes those were the steps suggested, I have tried them all. I am experiencing a different error which is not related to my xbox live profile, but shares the same error code. My error is related to cloud saved games

nrbrook, Jan 15, 2014
  6. I'm sorry but I'm at a loss as to what you would actually like to be done.

Once data is deleted or damaged it is not recoverable.

What would you like it escalated to? Literally nothing can be done to get your file back and the save being corrupted was a fluke probably due to dropped packets from your ISP.

A formal complaint? I'm not even sure what that means outside of a military or employment setting.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 15, 2014
  7. nrbrook
    nrbrook Guest
    Dropped packets from my ISP? There is a thing called error correction, integrity checking, and not overwriting a file until you have the whole thing. Whatever the reason for the corruption, it can be fixed/avoided and should not happen. As such it should
    be investigated to stop it happening again.

I have lost data due to this problem with Microsoft's product which I have paid for. As such, if the data is not recoverable I think the least Microsoft could do is give me some free xbox live to recompense me for lost time.

Most companies have support/complaint escalation. Every company has some kind of management structure in support. I'm not satisfied with the outcome the base level of support has offered, so I'm wanting to escalate the issue.

nrbrook, Jan 15, 2014
  8. Xbox Live cloud saved games corrupted my save game

Unfortunately as I already said there is nothing to escalate. Deleted or damaged files are not recoverable.

In regards to the whole "error checking, Integrity checking, and not overwriting a file until you have the whole thing" bit goes you can't check for errors or integrity of a file that has nothing to compare it to. Your game saved the file, the system makes
    the logical assumption that if your system functions properly that it saved the data properly and uploaded it. Since this is a completely new file with entirely different data how is it supposed to check if it's valid? Even if this was possible your Xbox
    console doesn't have the ability to perform such checks and to do them on a server would be highly ineffective.

Microsoft doesn't owe compensation to someone for what is--as I said early--most likely a situation outside of the Microsoft environment. It's probably an ISP issue dropping packets. It could even be that the game data simply was corrupted when it saved locally
    and then was uploaded as corrupt.

Regardless of how it happened it was indeed a fluke.

9. nrbrook
    nrbrook Guest
    The save game could have been corrupted console side. There are many ways this could happen, and the vast majority of them are preventable or would be caused by bugs. The only ones that wouldn't is user turning off the console while saving (I didn't, but
    this shouldn't corrupt a cloud saved game anyway) and physical hardware failure (my hardware seems ok, but that's not always obvious).

When the file is uploaded to cloud saved games the system can create a hash of the file for CRC (en.wikipedia.org/.../Cyclic_redundancy_check). It sends the hash along with
    the file and the server can then verify the file's integrity before overwriting the currently stored save game.

In addition, the data is undoubtedly sent over TCP which has built in error detection (en.wikipedia.org/.../Transmission_Control_Protocol).

This is how data is protected during transfer. It's used everywhere. I'm sure Microsoft employs these practices in cloud saved games too. It's just somewhere along the line, something went wrong, and that something is almost definitely a bug. Please
    don't make assumptions before understanding the underlying technologies completely.

nrbrook, Jan 15, 2014
  10. Oh that's rich... I understand the technologies quite well kid. You need to understand that what happened to you was a glitch, a fluke, a rare one-off incident outside the norm that was most likely due to something on your end.

11. nrbrook
    nrbrook Guest
    I'm sorry, but by the fact you think this is a fluke then I don't see how you can. Data corruption shouldn't happen. Full stop. There are very well established ways to prevent it. This may well be a very rare situation, but nothing in technology is a
    'fluke'.

nrbrook, Jan 15, 2014
  12. I just had my game save lost in the cloud.

CopperySinger5, Oct 4, 2015
  13. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

Sorry to hear it Singer. However, as this thread is well over a year old could you please create a new one detailing your issues for further assistance? Thank you.

onyxishere, Oct 31, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: