Xbox Game bar: Microphone audio won't go through unless I'm screaming

Discus and support Xbox Game bar: Microphone audio won't go through unless I'm screaming in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; The issue I'm encountering is explained in the title of this post. It began happening after I shutdown my laptop, moved to another place and opened it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by StarkSheep5659, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Xbox Game bar: Microphone audio won't go through unless I'm screaming

The issue I'm encountering is explained in the title of this post. It began happening after I shutdown my laptop, moved to another place and opened it up again while also lowering the sound for Xbox console companion via sound mixer options after turning the computers sound up. I don't encounter this issue in other programs like discord, and this behaviour is completely unlike what i have experienced with Xbox game bar before hand. Normally any sound will come through, from a computer fan, to vacuum cleaners across the house, even every slight breath a person takes.

How could input sound sensitivity seemingly drop so drastically for only Xbox game bar and how do i fix this?

:)

StarkSheep5659, Dec 25, 2021
  2. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Stark, your Laptop is Windows 10 or 11, have you tried some procedure on your PC, how to check system updates and the Microsoft store, have you also tried uninstalling the App Companion and the Xbox App from your PC and reinstalling?
  3. StarkSheep5659 Win User

Hello Georges

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the companion app and Xbox app from my laptop. I have also run windows troubleshoot to no avail. I also reset the data for game bar, with no results there either.
  4. brightdowned Win User

xbox game bar not picking up audio from microphone

I don't have any other microphones to test with unfortunately, I'm using the mic on my headset. Reinstalling the game bar made no difference either.

I checked through the capture settings and it only seems to mute me when the "audio to record" is set to "all" ( i.e game audio, microphone, all other apps ), but not when it's set to "game" ( game audio + mic ). But the issue with this setting is that I want my discord calls / party members to be heard in the clips and recordings too. So I'm very much at a loss :(
  5. XBF - Dom Win User

microphone not working for game bar or Xbox app Windows 11

Thank you for verifying! Have you tried changing your default microphone in both the Xbox app and the Xbox Game Bar?

Xbox Game Bar:

• Open the Xbox Game Bar
    • Go to your "Audio" widget
    • Select the "Voice" tab
    • Change your "WINDOWS DEFAULT INPUT" to the headset or microphone you'd like to use.
    • Change your "DEFAULT COMMUNICATIONS OUTPUT" and your "DEFAULT COMMUNICATIONS INPUT" to the headset or microphone you'd like to use.
    • Scroll down to "More Settings"
    • Click "Xbox Party Chat"
    • Change your "AUDIO OUTPUT" to the headset or microphone you'd like to use.
    • Change your "AUDIO INPUT" to the headset or microphone you'd like to use.
    Verify that "push to talk" is not enabled

Xbox app:

• Open the Xbox app
    • Click your profile icon at the top right corner of the page
    • Select "Settings"
    • Select "Audio"
    • Set your default "Input device" to the headset or microphone you'd like to use.
    • Set your default "Output device" to the headset or microphone you'd like to use.
    Verify that "push to talk" is not enabled
  6. Hoskayra Win User

Friends can't hear me unless the Game Bar is actively open

Hi, Patrick my name is Oskayra, and will be a pleasure help you

It's definitely concerning that your friends can't hear you in party chat unless the Game Bar is open. This seems to be a specific issue with the Game Bar and not your microphone itself, as evidenced by your friend hearing you in Gears 4's in-game chat. Here are some additional steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

Check Microphone Permissions:

Ensure the Game Bar has permission to access your microphone.
    Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
    Make sure the toggle for "Game Bar" is turned "On".

Update Game Bar:

An outdated Game Bar might have bugs impacting microphone functionality.
    Open the Microsoft Store app.
    Click on Library > Get updates.
    Check if any updates are available for the Game Bar. Install them if necessary.

Disable Overlays:

Some overlays from other applications can interfere with the Game Bar's microphone functionality.
    Close any overlays you might be running, such as Discord or other game launchers.

Reset Game Bar Settings:

This will reset all Game Bar settings to default, potentially resolving any configuration issues.
    Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
    Locate the Game Bar app.
    Click on Advanced options (three dots).
    Select Reset.

Check for Conflicting Drivers:

Sometimes, other audio drivers can conflict with the Game Bar's microphone functionality.
    Open Device Manager.
    Expand the "Audio inputs and outputs" section.
    Right-click on any other audio devices you're not using and select "Disable device".

Update Windows:

An outdated Windows system might have compatibility issues with the Game Bar.
    Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
    Check for updates and install them if available.

Create a New Audio Profile:

This can sometimes resolve microphone issues related to corrupted audio profiles.
    Go to Settings > System > Sound.
    Click on "Manage sound devices".
    Select your microphone and click on "Properties".
    Go to the "Advanced" tab.
    Click on "Properties" under "Default Format".
    Select a different format and click "Apply".
    Do the same for "Spatial sound" and "Test" the microphone to see if it works.

Here you have more and detailed information about mic issues with the game bar

https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/6d7e055d-8e2e-4dc5-88ec-cc9201b611ad

Information source (Credits): Note: The credits for this message go to the Independent advisor Zadee C. since his publication was the basis for obtaining said information,. I hope this information has been useful to you.

I really hope your problem has been fixed with my help, if it works let me know and have a nice day. Oskayra
Thema:

1. Xbox Game bar: Microphone audio won't go through unless I'm screaming - Similar Threads - Game bar Microphone

2. Recording in game voice using game bar

in XboX Insiders
    Recording in game voice using game bar: Is it possible to make game bar only record my voice input when using in game voice chat, rather than recording all input ? submitted by /u/s3cy7 [link] [comments]
  3. Windows Game Bar Clip Quality worsened

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Game Bar Clip Quality worsened: Hi all, I enjoy gaming in my spare time and saving funny moments I have with mates using the game bar's shortcut to save the last 30 seconds. I've been doing it for years and usually compile a...
  4. Game bar doesn't show on microphone privacy settings

in XBoX on Windows
    Game bar doesn't show on microphone privacy settings: I was trying to do some recordings but my game bar didn't want to turn the mic on. When I went to the microphone privacy settings, Game Bar simply wasn't on the list [img] This has never...
  5. Game bar doesn't show on microphone privacy settings

in XboX Insiders
    Game bar doesn't show on microphone privacy settings: I was trying to do some recordings but my game bar didn't want to turn the mic on. When I went to the microphone privacy settings, Game Bar simply wasn't on the list. This has never happened to...
  6. game Bar does not record my microphone properly

in XBoX on Consoles
    game Bar does not record my microphone properly: When recording a game via Game Bar, my voice sounds somewhat broken on the clip. my mic works perfectly fine, and it only sounds broken on the recording. It is also only my mic audio, not the...
  7. "Record what happened" in the game bar option does not take the microphone, how to solve it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    "Record what happened" in the game bar option does not take the microphone, how to solve it?: Every time I take 30 second clips with the "record what happened" option in the Xbox Game Bar, the microphone doesn't work and doesn't take it, causing the clip to not have my voice. When I record...
  8. Game Bar doesn't record microphone unless I mute and unmute it again

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game Bar doesn't record microphone unless I mute and unmute it again: Hello, Whenever I want to use the Game Bar to record the last 30 seconds of my games, the microphone icon appears unmuted, but actually is muted. I have to press mute and unmute to make it work...
  9. Xbox Game Bar & App Microphone Issues

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Bar & App Microphone Issues: I have been experiencing an issue in which my mic isn’t picked up my Xbox game bar or xbox app unless I actively have the app or game bar open. Once I close either, my mic is not picked up but I...
  10. Recording with X Box Game Bar screen capture and Microphone results in audio delay

in XBoX on Windows
    Recording with X Box Game Bar screen capture and Microphone results in audio delay: I was trying to record my gameplay on a steam game with my Blue Yeti, but found after I recorded there was an audio delay. I tried just about everything, from updating my canary insider to the...