XBox controller disconnects from PC or stops responding

Discus and support XBox controller disconnects from PC or stops responding in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I purchased a new XBox controller to use on my Windows 11 PC. I updated the firmware using xbox accessories app. I installed the latest bluetooth... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Keith Byram, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Keith Byram
    Keith Byram Guest

I purchased a new XBox controller to use on my Windows 11 PC. I updated the firmware using xbox accessories app. I installed the latest bluetooth drivers from Intel. I even updated the BIOS on my motherboard, but I still run into the problem of my controller temporarily freezing up on me after playing for about 20-30 minutes. Same problem in games run on Steam or not.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

Keith Byram, Dec 18, 2023
  2. MarvinaPerez Win User

Hello, There are some signs that may indicate that your Xbox controller is broken or damaged. These signs include:

The control does not turn on. If the controller does not turn on, there may be a problem with the battery or the controller hardware.

The controller does not connect to the console. If the controller does not connect to the console, there may be an issue with the controller hardware or the console.

The buttons or joysticks do not work correctly. If the buttons or joysticks do not work correctly, there may be a problem with the controller hardware.

The control has physical damage. If the controller has physical damage, such as cracks or breaks, it may be broken.
  3. Keith Byram Win User

Hello Marvina

I'm not sure I understand that last message. Do you suspect that the controller is broken, and that's why it won't maintain a bluetooth connection? What steps would you like me to take to verify this?
  4. MarvinaPerez Win User

Hi Keith, There are two ways to connect an Xbox controller to a PC: with a USB cable or via Bluetooth.

Connect with a USB cable

Plug one end of the USB cable into the USB port on your PC.

Plug the other end of the USB cable into the USB port on your Xbox controller.

The controller should automatically connect to your PC.

Connect via Bluetooth

Make sure your Xbox controller and PC have Bluetooth.
    Activate Bluetooth on your PC.

Press and hold the pairing button on the Xbox controller for 3 seconds.

The controller should appear in the list of Bluetooth devices on your PC.

Select the Xbox controller from the list and click "Connect."

Let me know if the information is still useful.

Sincerely,
    Marvina.
  5. Keith Byram Win User

Hello Marvina,

I followed the instructions to pair the controller with the PC using Bluetooth. Windows identified the controller correctly and they paired. However, after using the controller in a game for 20 - 30 minutes it begins to lose connection.

AS for connecting with USB, I have done this in game when the bluetooth connection fails and seems to work correctly. I haven't tested this method as thoroughly since connecting wirelessly is my preference.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
  6. Keith Byram Win User

Hello Marvina

Thank you for your reply. I think I have followed those steps. First I have updated the firmware on the controller using the XBox Accessories app. Second, I followed the instructions on xbox.com under the title How Do I Connect my Xbox controller to PC. So far those suggestions have not solved the problem. What should I do next?

Thanks.
Thema:

1. XBox controller disconnects from PC or stops responding - Similar Threads - controller disconnects stops

2. Elite controller disconnects then reconnects after plugging in charger

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite controller disconnects then reconnects after plugging in charger: My new series 2 elite controller came with a charger and when I'm playing I like to plug it in so I can charge my controller but it disconnects then reconnects for a second. I don't know if this...
  3. My Xbox series s Brand new controller keeps Disconnecting then reconnecting and happens...

in XboX Insiders
    My Xbox series s Brand new controller keeps Disconnecting then reconnecting and happens...: Xbox controller series s keeps disconnecting and reconnecting and it keeps happening over and over I thought it was my headset dongle so I moved it to the back to avoid any interference but still...
  4. Hard drive keeps disconnecting my controller

in XboX Insiders
    Hard drive keeps disconnecting my controller: For some reason I think my external hard drive keeps disconnecting my Xbox controller, whenever I try to resync my controller to the Xbox the Xbox won’t blink. Can anyone help? submitted by...
  5. Ps5 controller connects via Bluetooth and disconnects immediately after

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ps5 controller connects via Bluetooth and disconnects immediately after: I used this controller for a month now, it worked great, and it still does if i plug it in with a cable, but out of the blue today it decided to stop working as it did usually. I tried basically...
  6. Xbox Elite 2 controller disconnects from the xbox and wont work unless plugged in

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Elite 2 controller disconnects from the xbox and wont work unless plugged in: I have an Xbox Elite 2 controller. Just started having issues with it. The controller disconnects from the xbox and wont work unless plugged in. Xbox light on it works and everything. No updates...
  7. Xbox elite 2 controller suddenly disconnecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox elite 2 controller suddenly disconnecting: Hello all of a sudden my Xbox elite 2 controller keeps disconnecting and reconnecting during game play i even tried plugging the cable directly into the controller and still starts flashing for...
  8. How do I stop my Xbox controllers from disconnecting and reconnecting.

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I stop my Xbox controllers from disconnecting and reconnecting.: Hello, so I have an Xbox one X and my 3 controllers keep disconnecting and reconnecting after 5 seconds. It has been happening since I connected my phone and my controller for cloud gaming, I’ve...
  9. Netflix stops playing if my controller turns off or I disconnect the charge cable

in XBoX on Windows
    Netflix stops playing if my controller turns off or I disconnect the charge cable: Hi everyone been having problems with netflix recently where if my controller turns off for being idle for too long or if I disconnect the charge cable on my eliet 2 it stops playing what I'm...
  10. PLEASE HELP! How to Get controller to stop disconnecting Windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    PLEASE HELP! How to Get controller to stop disconnecting Windows 11: I have been using a controller for awhile, my controller recently started to disconnect from my pc every 30 seconds. I made sure all my drivers are updated, I even reinstalled all of them; bios,...