xbox controller died and now certain buttons don’t work

Discus and support xbox controller died and now certain buttons don’t work in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Xbox controller died mid game, usually I can plug it in with usb cable and it continues to work fine. Plugged it in this time and the A, X, B, Y... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Abbey E, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Abbey E
    Abbey E Guest

Xbox controller died mid game, usually I can plug it in with usb cable and it continues to work fine. Plugged it in this time and the A, X, B, Y buttons will not work but all other buttons and analog sticks will. Any ideas or suggestions? I have already plugged in using different cords and into different places other than just the Xbox and no change in status but the controller is charging it’s just those sets of buttons stopped working.

:)

Abbey E, Apr 9, 2024
  2. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Hi Abbey, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to check the controller test on the Xbox Accessories App?

While on the app, if a firmware update notice appears, please accept it and update the controller.

Press the Xbox Guide Button > Settings > Devices & Connections > Controllers & Headsets > Enter Test Mode (Click on the Conical/Lab Flask Icon beside the three dots ...).

Test the face buttons ( X A Y B) if they still won't work, the controller might be damaged.

If it's still under warranty, you can submit a repair request.

Please, register your device on this link: https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/warranty-service/register-your-product

Then, fill out the repair form: https://account.microsoft.com/devices/select-device-for-repair

You can check the warranty terms here: https://support.microsoft.com/help/...ce-plans-and-terms-conditions-for-your-device

I hope this helps.
  3. Mister Maka Win User

Xbox one controller

Hey there EXxon VeNoMZz.

Are you certain you're not accidentally pressing the Xbox button on the controller? The menu button should be working like the start button on an Xbox 360 controller. Do you have a different controller you can test?
  4. JDRColegio Win User

Controller gets stuck

What type of problem are you having with your controller?

MY CONTROLLER WON’T CONNECT TO MY CONSOLE OR PC -> it doesn't apply. the controller does connect to my pc

I CAN’T UPDATE MY CONTROLLER -> it doesn't apply. Xbox Accessories says it is up to date

MY CONTROLLER DOESN’T FUNCTION CORRECTLY -> somehow it doesn't. let's take this option

MY CONTROLLER WON’T POWER ON -> it doesn't apply. the controller does power on

SOME OR ALL OF THE BUTTONS ON MY CONTROLLER DON’T WORK AT ALL -> it doesn't apply. All buttons do work correctly

SOME OF THE BUTTONS ON MY CONTROLLER DON’T WORK AS EXPECTED -> it doesn't apply. All buttons do work as expected.

so:
    Xbox One Wireless Controller Solution
    doesn't have an option for the "stops working" symptom
  5. spencorThotland Win User

Xbox installed games invisible/not showing up?!

I don’t know how to close this topic but it seems to be working now. I shut my xbox off, holding the power button. Unplugged the xbox for 30 seconds and hit the power button before plugging it back in and turning it back on. It seems to be working properly
    now.
  6. Jeremy2085 Win User

Brand new Xbox One

If a controller isn't syncing correctly too your xbox try pressing and holding the small circular button next too the usb port while di the same with the small circular button on the top of the xbox controller. This should snyc the controller too the xbox.
Thema:

1. xbox controller died and now certain buttons don’t work - Similar Threads - controller died certain

2. My controller isn't letting me move or select anything?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller isn't letting me move or select anything?: I had disconnected and reconnected to my xbox and it's still not letting me select anything while I also tried a different xbox and it still didn't work 821e57ac-9075-4de5-a1fc-e854d7b50038
  3. Xbox Design Lab Controller has Stick Drift out of the box.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Design Lab Controller has Stick Drift out of the box.: Ordered a controller with a customized shell through Design Lab to play games on PC a few weeks ago, and it arrived with the right stick having bad drift at all times. Warranty is still up and I...
  4. controller not working in games rog ally

in XBoX on Windows
    controller not working in games rog ally: i have the Asus ROG ALLY Z1 extreme and i’ve tried two different controllers Ps4 and Xbox s and they dont work when i get into games. half the time they work as a mouse and then dont respond at...
  5. Gyro controls and my confusion

in XBoX Accessibility
    Gyro controls and my confusion: using a third party add on, if this device does not aim for me but lets me aim using gyro, is it treated as the same as a Xim or Cronus? It is not giving me a competitive advantage as my wrists...
  6. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  7. My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not...: My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not connected to my xbox I have plugged it in and fully recharged the pack and it still hasn't connected does anyone...
  8. All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller)

in XBoX on Consoles
    All digital buttons suddenly died, but analog sticks still work (Series X controller): I was in the middle of playing Starfield when the game stopped and said the controller was disconnected. I look down and sure enough, it's turned itself off. I replaced the batteries, thinking...
  9. My Xbox Series S controller keeps dying randomly. (I am using it on my pc trhough a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series S controller keeps dying randomly. (I am using it on my pc trhough a...: So I had this controller for almost 2 years. After about 10 months of using it, I got it sent to Germany to get it fixed after the USB C port was not working at all. Warranty got it fixed and sent...
  10. Why my Xbox One controller shook and died while I was using

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my Xbox One controller shook and died while I was using: Can somebody please tell me why when I change the batteries out that the controller would not turn back on and it shook every time I push the power button and now it just won't do anything please...