Xbox controller connected through Xbox Wireless Adapter randomly but repeatedly develops...

Discus and support Xbox controller connected through Xbox Wireless Adapter randomly but repeatedly develops... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've been using Xbox controllers on Windows 10 for the past 8 years, always connected through an Xbox Wireless Adapter for 2 reasons: I started with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MelodyAlonso, Apr 24, 2024.

1. MelodyAlonso
    MelodyAlonso Guest

Xbox controller connected through Xbox Wireless Adapter randomly but repeatedly develops...

I've been using Xbox controllers on Windows 10 for the past 8 years, always connected through an Xbox Wireless Adapter for 2 reasons: I started with Xbox One controllers, which did not support bluetooth, and also the Wireless Adapter has historically had better range, stability, and less input delay than bluetooth.

Due to stick drift and other issues, I've been using my original Xbox One controller from 2015 for the past year or so, this controller never had any issues in all the time I've used it. I play all sorts of games with it, both "Xbox" on windows games, and steam games.

For the past 2 months or so, I've started having weird issues, where during play sessions every few minutes the controller will suddenly spike from no noticeable input delay, to several seconds of input delay, and it will stay like that until disconnected. The time from connection until it happens seems somewhat random, sometimes it's 30 seconds, sometimes it's 30 minutes, battery level doesn't seem to affect. Note that when this happens, all inputs are affected, not just in-game, I regularly use Game Bar, and when this issue happens, both opening and navigating it with the controller shows the same delay as in-game.

I use a third party battery (2 of them always keeping one charged), so I thought it could be the cause. To test whether it's battery related, I've tested the following:

- Playing only when I've charged the battery fully

- Playing on a low battery

- Playing with the charging cable connected to the battery

- Playing with a USB cable connected to the controller directly

- Additionally, I tested the batteries with a multimeter and confirmed they're charging and retaining charge properly, with the output being in the expected range stated by the manufacturer

The behavior seemed the same in all cases, with both of the 2 batteries I have. When using the controller on a wired connection I did notice slightly different issues:

- Sometimes the controller doesn't seem to connect properly over USB, some games (that work well with the wireless connection) don't recognize it

- If I'm playing wireless, and then plug in the USB cable, only the Xbox button will work, this behavior remains the same when connecting the USB after the input delay has appeared, but noticeably it does remove the input delay.

- Sometimes the wired connection will simply not work until I connect over wireless with no game open, then turn off the controller, then connect wired

Solutions tried:

- Different USB ports for the wireless adapter, although it would help if there was some definitive advice on which type of port (2.0, 2.1, 3.0) to connect the adapter on.

- Different USB cables and ports for wired connection

- Different charging methods for the batteries

- Driver and Firmware updates, all (even possibly) relevant drivers and firmware versions have been updated

Commonly suggested solutions not tried:

- Different controller, I do not currently own any other Xbox controllers to test

- Different computer, haven't had the chance

- Updating to Windows 11, for several reasons not relevant here, this is not an acceptable change

- Different Wireless Adapter, as it is no longer officially sold as far as I can tell, and I couldn't afford buying another one second-hand just to test.

- Looking for commonality in games to rule out a software trigger, there's some games where, on first glance, I haven't experienced this issue, but the variability on how long it takes to happen makes testing practically impossible, it's simply not possible to know if a game is unaffected or if the issue hasn't kicked in yet.

-Full windows reinstall or rolling back to previous version, my backups are from after this issue first appeared, and I do too much work on this computer that would be severely affected by a rollback or reinstall.

:)

MelodyAlonso, Apr 24, 2024
  2. Harch Win User

Xbox one Controller identified as Bluetooth LE Xinput Device

I wonder if the xbox controller wireless adapter and the connection controller through it will help?
  3. Spazpol Win User

Xbox 360 Controller Connecting to a Windows 10 Laptop

The above are correct, the only way to connect a wireless controller is through the 360 wireless USB adapter, otherwise you would have to use a wired Xbox 360 controller. That will also connect without the wireless. The play and charge will not all ow
    the USB connection.
  4. kyle_m4496 Win User

Use headphones with Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller on win 11

Because Xbox controllers use a proprietary wireless technology known as Xbox Wireless. As such you can't use any adapter to connect the controller, it has to be the Xbox Wireless adapter specifically.
  5. siguyvirus Win User

My controller keeps disconnecting mid game

Is this an Xbox One controller, or an Xbox 360 controller? If it's an Xbox One controller, are you connecting wirelessly to the PC via Bluetooth, or with the Xbox Wireless Adapter?
    Xbox one controller with an xbox wireless adapter
  6. Spruce Goosed Win User

Intermittent Halo 4 XBOX Live

My Xbox connects through the wireless adapter. It's connected to the adapter with an ethernet cable.
Thema:

1. Xbox controller connected through Xbox Wireless Adapter randomly but repeatedly develops... - Similar Threads - controller connected through

2. Xbox controller only functions when connected to power

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller only functions when connected to power: I want to use an Xbox wireless controller on pc. My PC has Bluetooth 5.3 (MSI B650 Gaming Plus WIFI, Ryzen 5 7500f, RX 7800xt). I have tried two different brand new controllers and had the same...
  3. Neither of my xbox one controller will connect to my PC (USB)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Neither of my xbox one controller will connect to my PC (USB): I have two controllers that won't connect to my pc. I've tried 4 different USB cords, I've updated my controllers and I've even tried using my USB-C adapter . Both will blink when plugged in and...
  4. Trouble connecting XBox Series S controller to new Windows 11.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trouble connecting XBox Series S controller to new Windows 11.: Tried Bluetooth/paring and restarting...no other blue tooth devices are connected. Watched YouTube videos for Windows 11 - stuck! f992ffe4-060c-4ad7-ab2a-15d035d0f139
  5. Xbox one has a bright light then turns dim and not connecting to TV plus controller just...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one has a bright light then turns dim and not connecting to TV plus controller just...: I've tried connecting controller manually but still just flashes, have also unplugged everything and checked leads etc but still doing the same thing! Any ideas please or has it had its day?...
  6. My xbox one controller is no longer connecting through bluetooth to my windows 10 computer

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one controller is no longer connecting through bluetooth to my windows 10 computer: I have recently paired my xbox one controller to my computer and it no longer connects to the computer. I have restarted both the computer and the controller multiple times as well as turning the...
  7. For anyone struggling to connect their XBOX controller wirelessly through bluetooth (ie...

in XBoX on Consoles
    For anyone struggling to connect their XBOX controller wirelessly through bluetooth (ie...: I spent weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't connect my Bluetooth devices to Windows 10. I built my pc by myself so for the longest time I thought maybe I had installed something wrong. After...
  8. Trying to play through the Xbox app Remote Play option. Xbox controller is connected to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Trying to play through the Xbox app Remote Play option. Xbox controller is connected to...: Trying to play through the Xbox app Remote Play option. Xbox controller is connected to phone. Works in app until I start Remote Play. Once launched the system accepts some inputs but not all...
  9. how do I connect my gaming controller to my laptop through a wired connection

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how do I connect my gaming controller to my laptop through a wired connection: I am trying to connect my gaming controller to my asus vivobook and it won't allow me to. whenever I connect it though Bluetooth it causes my pc to overheat and crash my game, which is a similar...
  10. Why does my controller lose connection and will not connect back? (Been through all...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller lose connection and will not connect back? (Been through all...: Controller will de-sync randomly while in use, slow blinking light on controller. The firmware is fully updated and there's no Xbox updates needed. Controller power cycle doesn't work, and...