Xbox Console Companion App Won't Start and freezes PC

Discus and support Xbox Console Companion App Won't Start and freezes PC in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all, I've got two different notebook computers (one Dell and other Asus) and the Xbox Console Companion App simply doesn't work on any of them.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Diego.Fernandes, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Xbox Console Companion App Won't Start and freezes PC

Hello all,

I've got two different notebook computers (one Dell and other Asus) and the Xbox Console Companion App simply doesn't work on any of them. It used to work on my Asus one, but now it doesn't and it had worked only once on the Dell.

The symptoms are: I start the Xbox Console Companion App and it asks me for my Xbox Live sign in. I put in my login info, then click on the play now button. After that, it start spinning the loading wheel and it never ends. The computer gets progressively
    slower till it become completely unusable and forces me to hard reset. The App doesn't respond at all or responds painfully slowly (more that two minutes for closing after clicking). All the dynamic content (friends lists, activities feeds, news, anything)
    never loads or just one of the panels (usually activities feed) loads, the other keep with the wheel spinning and never load. My intention of using the App is playing by streaming, but, of course, it is not possible because the application doesn't allow me
    to do anything at all.

I've tried what some previous support topic I've found told to do:

-remove user account on Windows, insert it again: didn't work;

-completely remove Xbox Console Companion App from computer, then reinstall it again from Microsoft Store: didn't work;

-run commands to check and restore Windows Image Integrity (DISM): didn't work;

-updated Windows with Windows Update to the last, as well as every single device driver: didn't work;

-tried to add a new logon User to the computer, run the Xbox Console Companion App, add the Xbox Live user and let it start: didn't work.

-tried to run the Xbox Console Companion App right after a fresh new installation of Windows 10 (latest version): didn't work;

-tried to run the Xbox Console Companion App with different Xbox Live profile login (a friend's one): didn't work.

The only thing that I haven't tried yet, but I'm seriously considering doing, is bashing the wall with the computer will all my strength.

One of the online tutorials I found is actually an antitutorial, because it doesn't have the problem fixed - and it is more than two years old, so it doesn't appear to be a faulty Windows update. How come a problem like this stays more than one year not
    addressed?!

Things that I have noticed about the problem:

-it seems to be related to the Xbox Live User login, because when I start the app with the Task Manager on I see the CPU usage get to 100% and the process "Web Account Manager" from thd service named TokenBroker gets to the top of usage, with up to 95% of
    CPU consumption alone;

-it doesn't seem to be related to device drivers or different chips/chipsets, as the two notebooks have different GPUs (nVidia and Intel);

-some times the Xbox Console Companion app gets closed by itselft after a period of 30~40 seconds.

Could you help me with this so annoying issue?

:)

Diego.Fernandes, Jul 23, 2019
  2. Diego.Fernandes Win User

If you get an error or are unable to sign in, there are a few common issues that could be causing this:

1. Make sure you're connected to a network and that you can access the Internet. To test your connection, go to
      Bing.com in your PC's browser.
    2. See if there's an Xbox Live service outage at
      Xbox Live Status
    3. Sign in at Xbox.com and ensure that your account is in good standing.
    4. Check your PC's clock. The clock must match the Xbox Live servers for sign-in to be completed. Your date and time settings for
      Set time automatically must be set to On.
    5. As a final step, try removing the Microsoft account by going to Settings, selecting
      Accounts, and then selecting remove next to the account. Then re-add the account from the account picker when you sign in to the Xbox Console Companion app.
    As it could be understood by actually reading my first post, these suggested troubleshooting steps were tried before. I forgot to mention the clock sync, but it was resync'ed on both computers, but were already ok even before the synchronization anyways.
  3. XBF Diego M Win User

Hi Diego.Fernandes,

I'm surprised the app is not opening even after a fresh install of the latest version of Windows. I suggest trying to re-install all of the Windows apps through PowerShell. Perform the steps mentioned below and see if it helps:

a: Press Windows key and search for PowerShell.

b: Then right click PowerShell and Run as admin.

c: Now type the following command and hit enter

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

After a restart, enter the following command (again in a PowerShell as admin):

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

This will install any missing built-in apps you may have uninstalled. If the issue persist, then it could be an issue with your CPU since I don't think it's usage should be getting up to 95% or 100% on any program.
  4. M3tal Daz3 Win User

If you get an error or are unable to sign in, there are a few common issues that could be causing this:

1. Make sure you're connected to a network and that you can access the Internet. To test your connection, go to
      Bing.com in your PC's browser.
    2. See if there's an Xbox Live service outage at
      Xbox Live Status
    3. Sign in at Xbox.com and ensure that your account is in good standing.
    4. Check your PC's clock. The clock must match the Xbox Live servers for sign-in to be completed. Your date and time settings for
      Set time automatically must be set to On.
    5. As a final step, try removing the Microsoft account by going to Settings, selecting
      Accounts, and then selecting remove next to the account. Then re-add the account from the account picker when you sign in to the Xbox Console Companion app.
  5. AridLizard Win User

ip address

start the Xbox then on the PC start the console companion app.

you should see a box on the left that says connect to a console to start streaming a game.

that should let you play your Xbox through your PC
  6. StuartATrueRed Win User

game streaming from Xbox to laptop

First off, Smartglass is no longer supported. You have the Xbox Console Companion, and the Xbox app on PC. To stream to your PC, you will first need to turn on game streaming in Devices & connections Remote features in the Settings. Once you have done
    that, start the Xbox console companion, then make sure you are on the same network as the Xbox, sign in with the same Xbox account that is on the console, and select the connection icon on the left of the app, and then select the console that is connected,
    and select stream. You should now be streaming your console to your PC.
Thema:

1. Xbox Console Companion App Won't Start and freezes PC - Similar Threads - Console Companion App

2. bring back console companion or clubs feature in the new Xbox app :(

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    bring back console companion or clubs feature in the new Xbox app :(: why was Xbox console companion taken away it was far more useful than the now useless Xbox app it did all the same things plus so much more so please bring back the console companion or at least...
  3. How can I connect my xbox one console to my laptop without the xbox companion app?

in XBoX on Windows
    How can I connect my xbox one console to my laptop without the xbox companion app?: I want to connect my laptop to my xbox one console by hdmi but I dont have the xbox console companion app pre installed and i cant find it it any store.... How can I connect my cosole to my laptop...
  4. Features I miss from Xbox console companion. Will they return for the Xbox app?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Features I miss from Xbox console companion. Will they return for the Xbox app?: After Xbox console companion app has been officially unsupported, there are many missing features that I used to frequently use that I would love to see integrated into the official Xbox app, this...
  5. How do i download/access my Xbox screenshots on PC? Now that the Xbox Console Companion app...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do i download/access my Xbox screenshots on PC? Now that the Xbox Console Companion app...: How do i download/access my Xbox screenshots on PC? Now that the Xbox Console Companion app is no longer working. 33144d7e-870e-4f1a-bb2d-0f6ae3cc9d5c
  6. How do I connect my Xbox one to my PC to use as a monitor? The console companion app which...

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I connect my Xbox one to my PC to use as a monitor? The console companion app which...: How do I connect my Xbox one to my PC to use as a monitor? The console companion app which is mentioned in most tutorials isn't on the Microsoft store. I have HDMI....
  7. Since Xbox Console Companion app is no longer available, where do I check Network status?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Since Xbox Console Companion app is no longer available, where do I check Network status?: Hi, I previously used to do this... [img] I used to check the status of my network in the Xbox Console Companion app. Since this app is no longer available on Windows 11, please tell me where...
  8. i cant find the xbox console companion app. I want to use my laptop as a monitor for my xbox

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i cant find the xbox console companion app. I want to use my laptop as a monitor for my xbox: i cant find the xbox console companion app. I want to use my laptop as a monitor for my xbox cb87cddd-175c-44b7-a54e-287856f10795
  9. do i need the xbox app if i have the box Console Companion on my computer?

in XBoX on Windows
    do i need the xbox app if i have the box Console Companion on my computer?: do i need the xbox app if i have the box Console Companion on my computer? 2c9c6890-a610-4ffd-a09c-2e88537e735a
  10. xbox console companion app removed from microsoft store

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox console companion app removed from microsoft store: Not sure why the app itself was removed from the microsoft store as when i tried to search for it, there were no relevant results [img] And when i tried to search for xbox console companion on...