Xbox app & remote play issues on same, hard-wired local network

Discus and support Xbox app & remote play issues on same, hard-wired local network in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hi. I'd like to start off with a disclaimer - I've gone through the possible support pages/posts/articles surrounding remote play and none seem to have... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Kinsbane, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Kinsbane
    Kinsbane Guest

Hi. I'd like to start off with a disclaimer - I've gone through the possible support pages/posts/articles surrounding remote play and none seem to have any effect on solving my problem.

My Setup:
    My Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition) sits on my desk. It is hard-wired to my network via a small LAN hub, also on the desk. My PC is also hardwired to that hub, which is hardwired to the router. My controller is directly connected to the console. My PC has a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio interface (music recording) which is connected to a pair of studio monitors.

The Problem:
    Xbox Console Companion App no longer lets me stream from my Xbox. Now I only have the option to "Test Streaming". If I click that, the Companion app says either the Xbox app or my console needs to be updated; however, they both are updated to the best of my ability. Previously, I had no issues with streaming my Xbox to the app, and then switching over to my secondary HDMI port on my 4k monitor while I still had audio from the Console Companion playing. This let me use my 2nd monitor for stuff like guides, maps, etc. Never had an issue playing this way, until recently.

So I switched over to the main Xbox app, was able to connect to my console, and followed the guides for remote play. My Xbox said everything checks out and I should have no issues with remote play. Windows 10 and the Xbox are all current on updates.

What's happening when I remote play, like for instance Elden Ring, the character stutters awfully when trying to move around or do anything. It seems like the actual controller inputs are constantly being activated/deactivated in rapid succession. Sometimes I have to double-click a button to get anything to happen, but the analog stick inputs are just awful. Okay, I figured maybe it was just cause I was using the app and that's what was rendering onscreen in it. So I switched over my monitor to the port the Xbox is connected to, and same behavior. Stuttery / jerky inputs and actions. I had thought something like this might also happen if the controller was connected to the PC, but it's not - connected direct to the Xbox. Even weirder? Using the Xbox OS UI controls (hitting the Xbox button, navigating around the Guide, going into settings, etc), are all fluid and respond immediately with seemingly no trouble at all. Seems to happen only in-game. I can't make a capture of this behavior happening for some reason while remote playing; nothing in the support articles seems to indicate that it isn't possible to make captures while remote playing. This even affects games like Chained Echoes or Octopath Traveler.

Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else encounter something like this (bonus points if you play your Xbox similar to my setup)? I don't like wearing headphones or earbuds and don't want that much separation of audio sources (if I plug them into the controller and just not stream the Xbox at all) and my previous method of streaming my Xbox allowed me to have the Xbox audio coming out of my PC, along with anything I might be watching in a browser on my second monitor.

Any help or insight would be hugely appreciated, thank you in advance!

:)

Kinsbane, Mar 3, 2023
  2. Brimstone Hawk Win User

Remote play on PC from XBOX X really blurry.

I have the same issue, I am hardwired for both Xbox and PC- I remote play in the same city. But the pixelation blocking is horrendous- I've tested my networks and have met and exceeded the requirements for remote play (According to Microsoft's own Proprietary tests in app). My latency has very low jitter and averages 15-35ms per Pingtest.com, SO I still do not understand why typically launching remote play on my laptop through the xbox app has such a hard time. I hope this issue is being looked into, I know cloudgaming works fine typically suffering only in terms of input lag. But through the xbox app on both my phone and laptop- i find remote play to suffer greatly in terms of picture quality. To the point of unplayability, we need real solutions!
  3. KhajiBower34 Win User

Why is the remote play so blocky and laggy?

Hello Krustykashew, My name is Khaji I am an independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today.

Remote play, which allows you to play your Xbox from another device, often depends on several factors, including the quality of the internet connection, network speed, connection stability, and the distance between the Xbox and the device you use to play remotely.

Although remote play has improved in recent generations of consoles, there can still be issues related to connection quality. Here are some possible reasons why you might be experiencing issues with Remote Play on your Xbox Series S:

Unstable or slow internet connection: Despite having a 5 GHz connection, stability and speed can fluctuate due to wireless interference, physical obstacles, or router problems.

Network settings on Xbox: Adjustments to your Xbox's network settings may improve the quality of remote play. Make sure your console is set up for a stable and fast connection.

App or software issues: Issues with the remote play app or the console itself can impact the quality of the remote experience. Make sure they are updated to the latest version available.

Latency issues: Latency is the amount of time it takes for information to be transmitted from the console to the remote device. If there is too much latency, you could experience response and audio delays.

Local network issues: Sometimes other devices on your local network can consume bandwidth, causing interference when connecting to the Xbox.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
  4. Kathy A. Win User

Issues with Remote Play on Windows 11

Thanks for the swift reply, Athmaus.

As suggested by my colleague, would you mind performing the troubleshooting under Network issues provided from this support article - Troubleshoot remote play gaming.

We would like to know you will encounter any issue when playing Xbox Cloud games without connecting to Xbox Series X or doing remote play.

Are we having issues playing any games in your Xbox app lately?

Are we a Windows Insider or perhaps an Xbox Insider?

Can we try to replicate if same issue happen if we are using local user account in Windows?

We look forward for your response.

Kind regards,

5. XBF John Win User

Xbox Live South African Servers

Hello,

To be clear, xbox support does not have purview on the status, addition, or maintenance of the servers and their locations. I recommend the Xbox Insiders and submitting reports when you see this occur or experience issues due to this occurrence because it creates documentation to the issue for reference when and if these changes, choices, or decisions are discussed. In addition, remote play is in the same status as xCloud in that it is not out of its beta phase and all feedback helps in making future decisions and changes to the service to hopefully improve it.

Based on your screenshot remote play is functional while on the same home network? Do you get any errors or issues when trying to do remote play when both your Xbox and device are on the same network? Have you been trying remote play on two separate networks such as data on a cellular device or a different Wi-Fi connection outside the home?

Just in case here are a few solution pages for remote play:

Thanks,

John
  6. BlackenAmbaa Win User

Xbox Remote Play Black Screen after Xbox Logo - Works Only On Home WiFi & Mobile Data

If this issue is down to iOS16 and/or the app can it be fixed please!?!

It is certainly consistent with my experience that wifi local network access (same as Xbox is on) works fine but any remote wifi or cell connection just produces a black screen on the iOS device.

very very frustrating - has worked perfectly up until now.
Thema:

1. Xbox app & remote play issues on same, hard-wired local network - Similar Threads - app remote play

2. Xbox App on MacOS for Remote Play

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App on MacOS for Remote Play: Hey! I just purchased an Xbox series S and it every penny on it feels worth it and even better than PS in terms of power and price. However, it’s really off putting that there’s no Xbox app for...
  3. I can't use Remote Play because my Xbox Series X doesn't show up anywhere in the Xbox app.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't use Remote Play because my Xbox Series X doesn't show up anywhere in the Xbox app.: I've been trying to revisit Forza Motorsport 5 to recreate another Aftermarket logo as a Vinyl Group. Unfortunately, I've run into a rather annoying issue... To give you context, I use a program...
  4. Does anyone know of compatible Smart TV's that can run the XBOX app for REMOTE play?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone know of compatible Smart TV's that can run the XBOX app for REMOTE play?: Not interested in cloud gaming, just remote play, so when my living room TV is being used, I can remote play on a TV in another room, without having to buy another xbox console....
  5. Why do I have to sign in to my console every time I try to use remote play on the Xbox app...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do I have to sign in to my console every time I try to use remote play on the Xbox app...: I've got a backbone that connects to my phone that enables xbox remote play on my android device. I have enabled remote play and connected my console to my phone through the app. The issue is that...
  6. Remote play app has black screen with audio when trying to use it with new Xbox Series S 1Tb.

in XboX Insiders
    Remote play app has black screen with audio when trying to use it with new Xbox Series S 1Tb.: I'm completely at a loss here and unfortunately, I've already tried basically everything that Xbox would tell me to do. I purchased an Xbox Series S directly from Microsoft a few days ago. This...
  7. Windows XBOX App after selecting remote play, hangs up on black screen, however remote play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows XBOX App after selecting remote play, hangs up on black screen, however remote play...: re-opening this thread because the issue was not resolved and I have the exact same problem except I have something to add. My X1X worked flawlessly streaming to my Win10 PC but my XSX just shows...
  8. Xbox app remote play and Gamepass App cloud gaming not recognising my controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app remote play and Gamepass App cloud gaming not recognising my controller: I'm trying to use my stadio controller which has been transitioned to bluetooth mode. It works perfectly with in browser cloud gaming It doesn't work at all with remote play on the xbox app or...
  9. Start Xbox App Remote Play when Xbox starts.

in XboX Insiders
    Start Xbox App Remote Play when Xbox starts.: hey guys! Every time when I start my xbox, I need to start the windows 11 Xbox App and remote play to get the sound to my PC. Is there a way to automatic start the windows Xbox + Remote Play when...
  10. Trying to play through the Xbox app Remote Play option. Xbox controller is connected to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Trying to play through the Xbox app Remote Play option. Xbox controller is connected to...: Trying to play through the Xbox app Remote Play option. Xbox controller is connected to phone. Works in app until I start Remote Play. Once launched the system accepts some inputs but not all...