Xbox App PC installs updates when Enable Automatic Updates is not set

Discus and support Xbox App PC installs updates when Enable Automatic Updates is not set in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Despite having turned off (unchecked) Enable automatic updates, the app keeps on starting massive Game Pass updates and using up my metered connection.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by gl0w0rm, Oct 20, 2023.

1. gl0w0rm
    gl0w0rm Guest

Despite having turned off (unchecked) Enable automatic updates, the app keeps on starting massive Game Pass updates and using up my metered connection.

Not all of us are privileged to live in areas with high-speed and unlimited Fiber connections. I also don't want to download 50+GB updates for games I haven't played in months. The other issue is if you cancel the update, then the game gets uninstalled. This happened with StarField where I downloaded it's 150GB on a friends fast connection and then it start an update of 50GB while on my metered connection.

Why have that setting if the app just goes and downloads updates as soon as they're available?

:)

gl0w0rm, Oct 20, 2023
  2. David Wirsching Win User

Hello Gl0w0rm, My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today.

I understand your frustration. It looks like you're experiencing issues with the Xbox app for PC automatically downloading updates even though you've disabled this option. Here are some possible solutions that could help you:

Restart your device: Sometimes a simple restart can solve many problems.

Update Windows; Make sure your operating system is up to date. To do this, follow these steps
    Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
    In Windows 10, select Update & security. In Windows 11, select Windows Update.
    On the Windows Update tab, select Check for updates to see if updates are available for your device.
    Once the updates are downloaded, select Install now to begin the installation.

Update the Xbox and Gaming Services applications. To do this, follow these steps:
    Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app.
    Select Library.
    Under Updates & downloads, check to see if updates are available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app.
    If an update is available, select Update.
    Reset the Xbox app and Microsoft Store. To do this, follow these steps:

Press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to open Windows Settings and click “Applications.”
    Look for the application called “Xbox” and select it, then click “Advanced Options” and then “Reset” and confirm the process.
    Perform this same process for the application called “Microsoft Store”.
    Restart your PC and check if the problem is fixed.

Best regards.
  3. Rock1m1 Win User

Xbox app for PC does not automatically update any games

Same Issue. The xbox app stopped installing updates and does not check updates automatically. What is even more annoying is the Microsoft store app can install updates but it cannot check for them. What is wrong xbox platform on pc?
  4. VulcanVFX Win User

Blu Ray Update?

@BC32 If I'm not mistaking, updates aren't installed automatically, they're downloaded automatically but not installed, however I think if you have the power settings set to keep ur console in standby mode that the consoles system updates will download and
    install automatically, but not updates for apps.
  5. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Cuphead closes seconds after launch

Be sure to have the account that made the purchase of the game on the Microsoft store app, and the Xbox app

Also confirm that the time and date of the PC are set to automatic, the region must match your location

Go to windows settings and on windows update install all updates pending even the optional

On Microsoft store app select library on the bottom left corner, select get updates
  6. killerkaesar Win User

Can't launch Edge browser on Xbox One. I get an error that says "Check your connection" but I am connected to internet.

Hello there, the app may need an update, did you enable your Xbox to automatically update games and apps? This option can be found here:

Settings > System > Updates,
    your games will be updated as new versions become available.

Enabling this is the recommended setting, to force the console to look for an update for the app try power cycling your console:

Hold the power button for 10 seconds while the system is on
Thema:

1. Xbox App PC installs updates when Enable Automatic Updates is not set - Similar Threads - App installs updates

2. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  3. Solution for XBOX app not updating or installing

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Solution for XBOX app not updating or installing: Hi, I've been struggling with XBOX app not working like many others the past couple of days. I manually installed it using uptodown.com. It works. LOL e1f4c8ac-9e3c-490b-8e19-7e0931cff91c
  4. Microsoft store wont update or install microsoft apps

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft store wont update or install microsoft apps: Microsoft Store wont update or install Microsoft apps. I believe it needs to update itself to fix this but it cannot. I am trying to get xbox app after removing it because it was not working...
  5. Microsoft store and Xbox App wont update/install

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft store and Xbox App wont update/install: Microsoft wont update and is just stuck saying "pending" and when it does say it is downloading it just stays at 1 percent. I just got this PC i tried to factory reset it did not work. And same...
  6. Not able to install or update Xbox App on new computer

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Not able to install or update Xbox App on new computer: Hello! I'm trying to install or update the Xbox app on new laptop, the laptop already was with the app and needed update only, however, hours already and nothing has been done. I already update...
  7. game on xbox pc app just disappeared after i installed an update

in XBoX on Consoles
    game on xbox pc app just disappeared after i installed an update: i mean in windows store i can still have access to them but can not open them through xbox pc app anymore. 4b4b2d92-c073-4270-8c07-7cdbb32edc4f
  8. Unable to install or update games and apps, Installing bar at 0.0% indefinitely

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to install or update games and apps, Installing bar at 0.0% indefinitely: Hi, I was wondering if anyone has come into trouble of games and apps not being able to update or install on their Xbox one. I have tried everything, a reset leaving the power cord out for...
  9. Xbox app/game installation/updates don't download or stay stuck.(Latest Beta update)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox app/game installation/updates don't download or stay stuck.(Latest Beta update): I wanted find out if anyone else is dealing with this issue. I swear this wasn't a issue with the previous update. Or is this a complete Xbox issue entirely, not exclusive to the insider program?...
  10. Unable to install / update / move any games in Xbox app for past 3 weeks

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to install / update / move any games in Xbox app for past 3 weeks: For over 3 weeks now any time I try to install update or move a game in the Xbox PC app I get an error code x80070490 and no download or installation takes place. I’ve tried restarting the PC,...