Xbox app/Microsoft Store on PC won't let me download to any drive other than the boot drive

Discus and support Xbox app/Microsoft Store on PC won't let me download to any drive other than the boot drive in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I've got my OS on a small 500GB ssd and a 1TB hdd for games and other downloads, when I try downloading games onto the hdd I keep getting the error... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ArshShaikh1, Dec 8, 2020.

1. ArshShaikh1
    ArshShaikh1 Guest

Xbox app/Microsoft Store on PC won't let me download to any drive other than the boot drive

I've got my OS on a small 500GB ssd and a 1TB hdd for games and other downloads, when I try downloading games onto the hdd I keep getting the error with Code: 0x80070057.

I can install at most 1 game on my ssd and occasionally find random games which manage to get downloaded on my hdd (so far found only doom eternal and no mans sky work) but majority of the games like forza horizon 4 and middle earth don't start downloading
    unless I select C drive.

Anyone know how to fix this?

:)

ArshShaikh1, Dec 8, 2020
  2. Joel555 Win User

3-4 seconds black screen.

That offline update $SystemUpdate file i download and put it in my new empty flash drive made it unable to open the drive in my PC and the offline system update in the xbox home in the next step won't let me select it. And I don't have any other drives to help me. The drive i was using is new 1 TB.
  3. XER0_Gamez Win User

Forza Horizon 5 is not able to download to an external drive.

All of my Microsoft and Xbox games are downloaded on my external drive including the previous Horizon, which is Forza Horizon 4. I changed where new apps are stored when downloaded from the Microsoft store to my external drive but it still wont download Forza Horizon 5 to my external drive. On the Xbox app it wont show my external drive as an option to download to. I am able to download any game from the Microsoft store and Xbox app to my external drive except Forza Horizon 5.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

After reinstalling Windows drive, I need to reinstall all of my Xbox APP games.

If you have a modern PC with an SSD as a boot drive you shouldn't need to keep resetting/reinstalling Windows. Unlike a mechanical hard drive, Windows won't slow down much on a SSD as long as you keep enough free space.

That being said, the copy protection for Windows Store/Xbox app is far too Draconian.
  5. AdamYeti Win User

Games Appearing In Sidebar While Not Installed, Unable To Install Them

Is it possible that the drive doesn't have enough space for these games? I recently tried to install a game that I didn't have enough free space for and the Xbox app was slightly less than helpful when informing me of the issue. If you go to the downloads
    page in the Microsoft Store app on your PC, it may give you more information as to why the download is failing.
  6. Zero Divided Win User

Boot up time with external HDD takes about double the time than without. Is that normal?

i wonder if the X1 is running some sort of integrity check on the hard drive, or it takes a really long time to mount the drive, i won't think it would have that much of an effect on the boot time since the external only stores games and apps, or does it
    hold more than that? maybe it keeps some sort of swap partition...
Thema:

1. Xbox app/Microsoft Store on PC won't let me download to any drive other than the boot drive - Similar Threads - app Microsoft Store

2. Abysmal download speed in the Microsoft Store and Xbox App

in XBoX on Consoles
    Abysmal download speed in the Microsoft Store and Xbox App: I am furious! It's been a while that I have abysmal download speed in the Windows Store and Xbox Application on PC. Everything related to Microsoft is just outrageously slow! Flight simulator...
  3. Xbox app and Microsoft Store app keeps crashing after upgrade of CPU and clean install

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app and Microsoft Store app keeps crashing after upgrade of CPU and clean install: I was using windows 10 (1903) edition on my core i5 6th gen machine. I bought and installed Microsoft Flight simulator from the store and it worked fine. I upgraded my PC hardware to intel core...
  4. xbox app & microsoft store greyed out

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox app & microsoft store greyed out: xbox app & microsoft store greyed out, tried everything true cmd, powershell & win repair a93c398d-29d8-4a82-a8a8-61812bc600ab
  5. Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app: I recently bought "Microsoft Flight Simulator" on Amazon, with an activation key on the Microsoft Store, but cannot seem to get it to run. System details Windows 11, Version 23H2 (OS Build...
  6. Error 0x80070005 when attempting to install the Xbox App from Microsoft Store

in XBoX on Windows
    Error 0x80070005 when attempting to install the Xbox App from Microsoft Store: I've tried multiple times on different days after restarts etc. Anytime I attempt to install the Xbox app I receive error 0x80070005 after the app downloads I'm running windows 10 Pro and there...
  7. Trying to reinstall Xbox app through Microsoft store after having to delete it but it just...

in XBoX on Windows
    Trying to reinstall Xbox app through Microsoft store after having to delete it but it just...: Hi, Microsoft community, awhile back I had to delete my Xbox app to fix one of my games from stuttering. It has been a couple of months, and I want to re-download the Xbox app to buy Game Pass and...
  8. Xbox App stuck on logo and Microsoft Store not downloading Minecraft Launcher

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App stuck on logo and Microsoft Store not downloading Minecraft Launcher: I've been trying to install Minecraft for hours now. The Microsoft store will not download the game ir the launcher and I cannot open the xbox app either. I have tried: 1. Uninstalling and...
  9. Microsoft store will not download or update apps.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft store will not download or update apps.: My overall goal is to be able to install Minecraft I can click install from the Microsoft store page, but it just loads for 10ish seconds and goes back to a blue install button. I went to the...
  10. Roblox wont open in Microsoft store and also in Xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Roblox wont open in Microsoft store and also in Xbox app: Description of the problem: When I click to open it, a window appears with a white background and the roblox symbol in the middle and after a few seconds it closes. When I tried to open roblox...