XBox App - Can't Install Games

Discus and support XBox App - Can't Install Games in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've installed the XBox app and up until about a day or two ago it was working fine. I have multiple drives in my system labeled; C - Windows D - HDD... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by JasonRathwell, Sep 24, 2023.

1. XBox App - Can't Install Games

I've installed the XBox app and up until about a day or two ago it was working fine. I have multiple drives in my system labeled;

C - Windows
    D - HDD For Games
    F - SSD For Games
    R - Media Storage (photos/etc.)
    S - Docs/Projects
    Z - Backups

When I installed the XBox app I instantly set it to download all games to the F drive as I wanted the newer titles to have the best performance possible. I installed about a half dozen games and have been playing them fine. Two days ago, without any changes or updates to my computer, I went to look at my XBox library and it was completely blank. No games installed. I went to check the contents of the F drive and everything was still physically on it.

Back in the XBox app I looked into the settings and noticed it was set to use my C drive. I wouldn't have changed that setting myself, because I don't install anything to my C drive unless it's absolutely necessary. Games are NEVER installed to my C drive (aside from their appdata and whatnot). I tried to change the setting back to the F drive and it instantly popped back to C. Over a dozen times I tried to change the setting and it kept popping back to C. I tried setting it to my D drive and it stayed. Tried R, it stayed. Tried S, it stayed. Set it back to F and it popped back to the last one it was on (S in this case). No matter what I tried it would NOT select the F drive, which it had been using fine till that day. As stated, I made no changes to my computer. The only thing I'd been doing the past couple days was installing and playing games on the XBox app.

I clicked onto one of the games I was interested in installing, in this case Payday 3. When it popped up to install it let me select where to go. I actually selected the F drive, which was listed. Clicked install, the screen flashed and I got a notification in the XBox app that the game had a problem installing. One thing I noticed here is that, prior to this, when I would install an XBox game it would pop up and ask me to provide admin permissions. It didn't do that this time. Tried installing another game, selecting F, and the same result. Game wouldn't install and it never asked me for admin permission.

Next I wanted to see if the already installed games were broken. I used windows explorer to manually navigate through the F drive to the game's executable. Running the game manually worked and, interestingly enough, put the game back into my library in the XBox app. I have no clue if the games will update should a patch come out, but at least I found a work-around to add the already installed games back to the App library.

When searching this problem online I found a mountain of conflicting data telling me to do all kinds of **** to my computer. Wanting the app to work again, I followed each of them step by step. Here's some of the stuff I went through;

- Ran a chkdsk on the F drive.
    - Performed a system restore to 3 days ago.
    - Set windows to install Apps to F drive. (*1)
    - Used powershell to reinstall "Gaming Services".
    - Uninstalled and Reinstalled the XBox App.
    - Deleted all of the system folders from F drive.
    - Took ownership (my admin account) of the F drive. (*2)
    - Created a symbolic link from "C:\XBox" to F drive. (*3)
    - Verified all the XBox services are running
    - Verified "Gaming Services" is running

*1. This actually succeeded in allowing me to set the XBox app to now install to the F drive. However, when trying to install anything it still fails instantly.

*2. The ownership swap completed however it was unable to change the ownership on any of the executable files in the XBox game folders.

*3. The XBox app wouldn't use the symbolic link as a proper install location, so I had to abandon the test and delete the link.

One user suggested formatting the drive, then reinstalling the XBox app. Personally I don't find this a viable solution due to the fact that it's not the drive that's the problem. Steam and BattleNet continue to use the drive without any problems, and can install and uninstall from it just fine. The issue is clearly some kind of conflict between Windows and the XBox app, period. More than likely it's a permissions or access issue. That said, I have no idea how to fix it because I'm not the one who decided to write the software like that. Personally I think the XBox app should just be a regular program that we can run as admin... But hey, I'm not a programmer for Microsoft.

So how do I get this fixed? Right now the time is ticking on my Gamepass and the outcome to this problem will determine if I cancel or not.

:)

JasonRathwell, Sep 24, 2023
  2. clamore125 Win User

Xbox App broken game installs

The games don't show up in the apps list. I can't cancel or download the games through the Microsoft Store, it requires me to install said games through the Xbox app (game pass games). I tried wsreset, but it didn't resolve the issue, as the 2 games still show up as ready to install, and I can't do anything except view the installs in the Xbox app
  3. EagerSkydiver60 Win User

Can't install some games on xbox game pass for PC?

I have restarted, restarted modem, flushed dns, signed in and out etc, also tried task manager fix. tried looking in windows store for updates, as per recommendation from another website. No luck. The mobile app can't install games, my other computer
    can't install games, the windows store can't install games, and the xbox beta app can't install games. This is seriously broken and I haven't seen any effort from Microsoft to fix it
  4. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Xbox app can't install paid games on ARM devices

You can't install games on Windows currently without using the Xbox app
  5. JasonRathwell Win User

Umm, thanks for your reply... As you can see in the list of steps I tried, the 3rd step was actually what you're suggesting. You'll also note in footnote (*1) that it did let me SET the Xbox app to install to the F drive, however the install still fails instantly.

As I figured this problem was permissions related I delved into the Event Viewer and found I was also seeing the symptoms listed here;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/30c060e3-3a89-4f7c-acf2-306c28e168e8?page=1

I proceeded to track through that string of replies until I happened upon a user who nailed it down to being a permissions fault, which is exactly what I thought too. He found walkthrough information on this site;

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-...mission-for-the-com-server-application-error/

Which allowed me to realize that the permissions were IN FACT screwed up somehow. I went through the event viewer and found the APPID and CLSID of the offending software, and which username (mine) was trying to use it. Went into the registry and tracked to the locations in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, which in my case was

CLSID {37399C92-DC3F-4B55-AE5B-811EE82398AD}

APPID {37399C92-DC3F-4B55-AE5B-811EE82398AD}

Found out the app was related to the "AppServiceContainerBroker" so I went into Component Services and looked at it's permissions. I tried adding my user account with full local launch and activation permissions but that didn't solve it. I tried adding "All Application Packages" with local launch and activation, and that solved the issue with the 10-second errors in event viewer. Sadly it didn't fix the installation problem though.

I still can't figure out why the games won't install to the F drive. There are no further event viewer entries occurring, even when trying to install. I'm not sure if the XBox app has a hidden log file somewhere that I could check?
  6. choks97 Win User

Can't install games on xbox app

OMG it worked thank you so much not even the support could help me with this

I've been trying to fix this for 2 days
Thema:

1. XBox App - Can't Install Games - Similar Threads - App Can't Install

2. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  3. I can't install assasin's creed Valhalla on my PC in English via the Xbox app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install assasin's creed Valhalla on my PC in English via the Xbox app?: I am having trouble installing assasins creed Valhalla on my PC via the xbox app as it won't let it install in English? It is giving me the option to install in other various languages except for...
  4. Can't install XBOX App on PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install XBOX App on PC: I've had GamePass since September 2023 and it has been working great. Yesterday when I tried to launch an installed game from my PC a white line went under it like a progress bar. It kept saying...
  5. I can't install Xbox app on Windows 11

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install Xbox app on Windows 11: Hi, I've just reinstalled Windows 11 on my PC. All updates, drivers etc installed OK. When I opened the Microsoft Store it updates all the apps but then seems to get stuck on the Xbox app and the...
  6. Can't install Xbox App on windows 10 laptop

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't install Xbox App on windows 10 laptop: I can download the app. But can't seem to install it. a17e8316-74fb-4279-9b22-7d3cbf9bb62c
  7. Can't install any app on my xbox series x. How do i fix?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install any app on my xbox series x. How do i fix?: I was wanting to reinstall spotify on my xbox series x just to find out i can't install any app. Error code 0x80244022. c93fb2e7-52eb-4a1c-a945-190278963c88
  8. Can't install games on PC through Xbox and Microsoft Store apps; getting error code 0x80070005.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install games on PC through Xbox and Microsoft Store apps; getting error code 0x80070005.: Specifically, I am trying to install Sea of Thieves. I have had this game since around launch and so had this game installed previously, but I had uninstalled after not playing for a long time and...
  9. Why can't I download and install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app on Windows 11?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I download and install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app on Windows 11?: I have tried everything I could to make it work, everything that is written in support and it still doesn't work. I just get an error message and the code is: 0x87e0000f...
  10. Microsoft Store can't install the Xbox app with error code: 0x80d06809

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Store can't install the Xbox app with error code: 0x80d06809: Hi, I'm not sure what's going on with the Xbox Game Pass. I can't re-install/ update anything from the Microsoft Store. At first, I tried to install a game on the Xbox Game Pass, and it still...