Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

Discus and support Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by SpacePrez, Mar 12, 2024.

1. SpacePrez
    SpacePrez Guest

Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue.

I have my new windows setup and working find on C:/. I can install Xbox games to C:/ just fine.

However, the D:/ drive is permanently blocked from being used due to a frustrating bug.

It attempts to read the old folder where previously xbox games were installed on the D drive. This folder does not exist anymore. The xbox app simply does not allow me to select the drive. If I click D:/, in installation locations, it just switches back to C:/ instantly.

I have repaired the app. I have reinstalled the app. I have uninstalled and manually installed the app. Somehow, even though it claims to "wipe settings", the locations for all the installations are preserved through clearing out the xbox app.

I think this is related to the .GamingRoot file created on drives used by the Xbox app. What a terrible, stupid design idea. No other game store does this. Steam, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Epic, all these apps work fine and are portable because they maintain their own file directories internally. Only the xbox store has to do this crazy thing creating a file on each drive that points to the folder, just absolutely asinine design.

And the fact that there's no way to repair this? No way to recover it? Did nobody consider this at all? Unbelievable oversight by Microsoft.

You need to patch in a way to force resolve a drive in Xbox app, immediately. I have seen many forum posts of users who have this issue dating back YEARS!!!!

Unbelievable. I have to cancel my Game Pass until this is resolved, as I cannot install games. (Again, all other game installers, steam, ubisoft, epic, work fine as they do not do this)

***moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Gaming***

:)

SpacePrez, Mar 12, 2024
  2. ReJobsian Win User

Xbox app for PC does not automatically update any games

Same issue here, and upgrading to Windows 11 Beta did not resolve it. At this point it's pretty clear that the XBox app, and Windows Stor integration with it, is totally broken. Is there a way to bring this more to Microsoft's attention?
  3. RichieB_ Win User

The xbox app on my pc is not letting me into games

Hi netanel603,

Greetings!

Thank you for publishing in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you're experiencing issues with the Xbox app on your PC. I'd be happy to help you resolve this issue.

The error message you're seeing, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item," typically indicates that there is a problem with the permissions on the file or folder that the Xbox app is trying to access. This can be caused by a number of different factors, including antivirus software, user account control settings, or file system permissions.

To resolve this issue, there are a few steps you can try:

1. Check your antivirus software: Some antivirus software can interfere with the Xbox app's ability to access files and folders on your PC. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you may need to adjust your antivirus settings to allow the Xbox app to access the necessary files and folders.

2. Check your user account control settings: User account control (UAC) is a security feature in Windows that can prevent apps from accessing certain files and folders without your permission. Try adjusting your UAC settings to allow the Xbox app to access the necessary files and folders. You can do this by going to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings.

3. Check your file system permissions: If the Xbox app is trying to access a file or folder that you don't have permission to access, you may see this error message. Try checking the permissions on the file or folder in question and make sure that your user account has the necessary permissions to access it.

4. Reinstall the Xbox app: If none of the above steps work, you may need to reinstall the Xbox app. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features, find the Xbox app, and click on it. Then click on the "Uninstall" button and follow the prompts to uninstall the app. Once it's uninstalled, go to the Microsoft Store and reinstall the app.

As for the error code 0x800704c7, this typically indicates a problem with the Windows Update service. You may want to try running the Windows Update troubleshooter to see if that resolves the issue. You can do this by going to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update.

Learn more: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

Thank you,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. Ana William Win User

Bannerlord Will Not Install to Correct Folder

It sounds like the issue you're experiencing may be related to the permissions set on the XboxGames folder. In order to ensure that the game installs to the correct folder, you may need to adjust the folder permissions to allow the Xbox PC App to write to that folder.

To do this, you can try the following steps:

1. Right-click on the XboxGames folder and select "Properties."
    2. Click on the "Security" tab.
    3. Click on "Edit" to change the permissions.
    4. Click on "Add" to add a new user or group.
    5. Enter "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" in the object name field and click "Check Names" to confirm it is a valid entry.
    6. Click "OK" to add the user or group.
    7. Select the new user or group from the list and give it "Full Control" permissions.
    8. Click "OK" to save the changes.
    Once you've made these changes, try reinstalling the game and see if it installs to the correct folder. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to contact Xbox support again or seek further assistance from a Windows or IT professional.
  5. Villaman68 Win User

Flight Simulator 2020 launch issue

I resolved issue by moving my WindowsApps folder inside another temp folder, then installed MSFS to the same drive where it made another WindowsApps folder which competed the installation, I then just moved the original files from the temp Apps folder back
    to the new one. Sounds simple, but I had a lot faffing about to do as moving the windowsapps folder had files inside being used by other programs like the xbox beta app and not having permissions for files and folders, a google search helped in fixing those
    issues which was simple in the end.

Only other way of doing it is a clean install of windows i'm afraid

Forgot to mention, have you changed the default location of windows store apps? as choosing my drive and clicking install did absolutely nothing untill I change default apps location

Hope this helps you get up in the air.
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Im trying to download a game but everytime i just turn off my pc, it gets cancelled and goes back to 0% ???

Thanks for the update, let's try first changing your windows apps folder name or deleting it, in that way the system is going to create another.

For this you need to change permissions (after that restart the PC and see if a new WindowsApps folder is created)

Press Windows + E and go to the drive where game is installed.

On the WindowsApps folder, right click on it and select properties > Go to the Security tab and select Advanced:

Click on Continue in the Permissions tab > Select Change > Click Advanced in the Select User or Group window, then Find now:

Select your user account and click on Ok > Click on Ok and Apply on every window and close them.
Thema:

1. Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,... - Similar Threads - app broken Windows

2. Xbox app is broken.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app is broken.: Every time I launch the xbox app its stuck on a black screen with a logo, i bought PC game pass recently and I cant even use it. 4b0bab7b-1b41-41a0-90e6-8ec6deeab14e
  3. Is the Xbox App Broken on PC?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the Xbox App Broken on PC?: Split from this thread. Hello, I have tried the same suggested steps (just reinstalled Windows 10 today) and am unable to get the Xbox app to work. I've tried downloading the app from the...
  4. Is the Xbox App Broken on PC?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the Xbox App Broken on PC?: Is anyone aware of an issue with the Xbox app on PC not working. Mine hasn't worked for about a week, and according to reviews on the Microsoft store it appears others have been affected over the...
  5. Xbox related apps are broken

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox related apps are broken: The “Xbox” app on my PC, and “Game Bar” will not work. I tried a bunch of different solutions, I even reset my pc, but nothing is working. When I open the “Xbox” app it just pops up for a second...
  6. Xbox app and game services is entirly broken

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app and game services is entirly broken: I have tried EVERYTHING your "technicians" say to do, and not a thing has worked, doing the old Get package command, does not work, i cant even uninstall game services to reinstall it, I SHOULDNT...
  7. Xbox insider hub app broken after update.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox insider hub app broken after update.: Anyone else's hub app broken after the current alpha skip update? An error popped up when opening, tried uninstalling and keep getting installation stopped. submitted by /u/yikesmyguy7392...
  8. Is the twitch app broken?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is the twitch app broken?: Over the last few months, I've e gone from being able to stream for hours without isdue. To now maybe being able to stream for am hour and then everytime I restart my broadcast afterwards, It...
  9. Storage management is broken and won't let me reinstall apps that were moved and deleted.

in XboX Insiders
    Storage management is broken and won't let me reinstall apps that were moved and deleted.: I just got a 8TB Samsung SSD 870 QVO. Initially it seemed to work. After formatting to NTFS on my PC, I attached it via USB 3 cable and my Series X|S asked me to format it to games. It did that....
  10. Xbox pc app is broken.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox pc app is broken.: When i launch xbox pc app, i can not see all the tabs on the left panel, i can only see my library and store icons, and when i use the store many games are missing from it. [img]...