Xbox App | 0x80070002 when moving or installing game to specific partition

Discus and support Xbox App | 0x80070002 when moving or installing game to specific partition in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Before asking, I tried: Restart Xbox App - nothing changed Restart *Gaming and Xbox* services - nothing changed Restart PC - nothing changed... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Ciprian1997, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Ciprian1997
    Ciprian1997 Guest

Before asking, I tried:

• Restart Xbox App - nothing changed
    • Restart *Gaming and Xbox* services - nothing changed
    • Restart PC - nothing changed
    • Delete .\XboxGames\ folder and .\.GamingRoot file on affected Partition - they get recreated, nothing changed
    • Try to install new game to affected partition - 0x80070002, nothing changed
    • Try to install new game to another partition - ok
    • Try to move existing game to partition - 0x80070002, nothing changed
    • Try to move game to another partition - ok
    • PS> get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers ; start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN - nothing changed (I did reinstall Gaming Services when prompted)
    • PS>subst Y: D:\ in (also with cmd) to map a new drive letter - Xbox App is too smart and won't suggest that as a new drive
    For extra testing, I installed "Among Us" (small size, good for testing) to C:\, went fine, moved to E:\, went fine, moved to F:\, went fine, tried moving to D:\ and... 0x80070002 at 0 bytes moved.
    Partition and Xbox folder structure is as follows, only D:\ is broken

• NVME
      • C:\ (36.5GB Free/292GB) - OK
        • \XboxGames\
        • \.GamingRoot
      • D:\ (307GB Free/638GB) - Broken
        • \XboxGames\
        • \.GamingRoot
      • (Hidden: EFI System Partition, Recovery Partition)
    • SATA HDD
      • E:\ (487GB Free/1.81TB) - OK
        • \XboxGames\
        • \.GamingRoot
    • SATA SSD
      • F:\ (192GB Free/1.81TB) - OK
        • \XboxGames\
        • \.GamingRoot
    Additionally, in the Xbox App, under Setings > Install Options > Change where this app installs games by default, I can select drive D: but after a few seconds the app reverts to the previous selection, which indicates some issue between the Xbox app and that specific partition.

I'm trying to get the Xbox App to forget that D:\ was ever a valid installation destination and have it reinitialise that partition for installation of games, but that seems to be almost from within the app itself. Cannot find any logs from the Xbox App or any of the associated services, which might help me figure out a solution to the problem.

Ideally I would like to have some way of reading the Xbox App logs to try and diagnose what is happening before people reply with the usual `PS> sfc /scannow` or "Reinstall Windows" suggestion.

:)

Ciprian1997, Sep 20, 2023
  2. Cliff A. Win User

Hi Ciprian1997

We have not heard anything from you in the last 72 hours. Please do not hesitate to create a new thread if you have new concerns. We hope that the issue you reported to us has been resolved. We personally understand that finding time to work on this matter can be little difficult to manage. Thus, we would like to let you know how much we appreciate your patience and most importantly the time you've dedicated to getting a resolution for this issue of yours.

Please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking on this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

Regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Cliff A. Win User

Hi Ciprian1997

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Thank you for reaching out back again. Here is another troubleshooting that we can try and if issue do still persist then the best option for this is to submit a bug via Windows Feedback within the Xbox App, and here is the link: Provide Feedback to Team Xbox

For some additional troubleshooting, you can try this as well:

1. Change where the apps are installed at the Windows level. Meaning they need be done on the following

• Go to settings
    • Click on System
    • Click on Storage
    • Click on Advanced Storage settings
    • Then click on Where new content is saved
    • Under "New apps will save to:" have the user choose the driver they want Apps, meaning games will install.
    2. Open the Xbox App and change the default save location there as well.

If issue do still persist, you can try to submit a feedback and submit a ticket as well.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your issue. I hope all of this information's are helpful. We look forward on your response.

Regards,

4. Ciprian1997 Win User

Hello.

Thanks for trying to help, and I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I was busy with other things for a few days and completely forgot about this.

Managed to figure out what the issue was today after trying a bunch of other things I had found online, none of which were the cause of the error in this instance.

Short version is: I had a D:\WindowsApps folder from all the way back in 2021 containing Halo MCC files left over after nuking a previous Windows 10 Install on the C: drive. I'm guessing GamingServices was seeing that folder and its contents and freaking out trying to interpret them, thus preventing me from using the D: drive in the Xbox App. After deleting that folder D: now works perfectly again and I can install and/or move games to it as intended.

Longer story is:

1. Installed Windows 10 in 2021
    2. Played Halo MCC from GamePass, installed game to D: since C: was too small (both partitions are on the same physical drive, separated so I can more easily back up and nuke C: if necessary)
    3. Backed up and Nuked C: sometime in 2022 due to a suspected driver issue, D:\WindowsApps remained there
    4. Reinstalled Windows 10
    5. Bought a SATA SSD shortly after, started using that for game storage since most games didn't really need the NVMe SSD that C: and D: were on
    6. Upgraded to Windows 11
    7. Wanted to install something on D: recently, failed with 0x80070002, decided to install on the SATA SSD instead (F:) which worked fine
    8. Wanted to see if moving away from the SATA SSD to the NVMe SSD would improve load times, move kept failing with 0x80070002
    9. Problems mentioned above happened
    10. Tried a few other things since, such as confirming the sector size was 4096, checking permissions granted to D: and its subdirectories, the classic sfc /scannow, remounting the drive with a different letter, GamingRepairTool.exe, a soft reinstall of Win11 (keep apps and settings), etc., none of which helped
    11. Spotted the D:\WindowsApps folder, looked inside and saw the 2021-dated folders from Halo MCC as well as some kind of metadata folder (forgot the name of it) which did have recently modified files in it
    12. Got suspicious and decided to nuke that WindowsApps folder, couldn't do it from Explorer even after granting my account all the permissions it should need so I used the USB Install Media I just created instead which worked fine
    13. After booting back into Windows D: now works as usual in the Xbox App, just moved a game to it and it went perfectly fine

To answer some of the questions for the sake of posterity:

• NVMe is faster than SATA, wanted to see if it would make a difference in load times/fps/stutter
    • Haven't installed Xbox games on that drive in a long time, but the drive wasn't "cleaned" since the last Windows reinstall years ago which turned out to be the issue
    • Nothing recent, or at least nothing that seemed like it would explain the issue
    • Yes, NTFS with 4096 block size, checked with powershell PS>get-wmiobject win32_volume | Select-object Name, Filesystem, Blocksize
    • Yes, did an update check while trying to resolve the issue
    • Same physical device as C:, an internal NVMe SSD
  5. Cliff A. Win User

Hi Ciprian1997

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community

I do understand the urgency of you wanting to find other ways for this issue of yours in regards with moving and installing games on other partitions. We are very glad to help you out to find some of the best possible options that we can find.

We want to set your proper expectations on this that we had isolated your concern here on what we understood that all the other drives and partitions on your device is working, and it is only not working on Drive D. Thus, perhaps there might be some system errors or may have some problems with your Drive D specifically due to that error code that you have shared and all necessary troubleshooting, you had already done but still issue do still persist.

To get started, I'd like to ask a few questions to better understand the problem that you're facing:

• May we know what is the exact reason to why you want to move or install games on your other partition?
    • Is this the first time that you want to download the game or specific games on Drive D?
    • Had you made any changes on your device before this happened?
    • Is your Drive D formatted to a Format type to NTFS volume with a 4k Cluster size?
    • Have you completely updated all of your Windows's updates as well as optional updates?
    • Is your Drive D an external hard drive or internal?

We also need to ask as well for us to know what some options that you have not tried yet so that we can isolate and investigate more onto this for us to seek and find possible options as we move along. So that we can dig deep on what we can do next and in order for us to get things better.

In addition, you may try to use this link for your reference for game installations that you want on your PC, here is the link for it : https://support.xbox.com/en-us/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/game-installation-issue-on-pc

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your issue. I hope all of this information's are helpful. We look forward on your response.

Regards,

6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hot wheels expansion not working in Forza Horizon 5

Thanks for the extra info.
    In this case please create a new NTFS partition and move the game there.
    And after that go to Windows settings > System > Storage > Where new content is saved > select the new drive under apps

If you need to know how to move an app: Go to Windows settings > apps and features > installed apps > find the game and click on the three little dots > move

If you need to know how to create a new partition:
    https://www.diskpart.com/articles/partition-ntf...

**If the issue persists after moving the game you can revert this change then delete the recently created partition and increase the C: storage

-------

Also, try this if the above doesn't work:

Reinstall Gaming Services using powershell command

Press Windows key + X and then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

Type or copy / past the following command and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

Restart the PC and Open the Xbox application.

A blue notification with the following message is going to appear at the bottom:
    "This app needs an extra component. Gaming Services is needed for playing some games. Administrator approval required. Install"

Select Install to reinstall Gaming Services, once installed check again
Thema:

1. Xbox App | 0x80070002 when moving or installing game to specific partition - Similar Threads - App 0x80070002 moving

2. Microsoft Store apps stuck on Error 0x80070002 "Something happened on our end" during...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft Store apps stuck on Error 0x80070002 "Something happened on our end" during...: I have already tried resetting the windows app store, repairing the windows app store, logging out of the store, using a different account on the store, uninstalling and reinstalling the windows...
  3. Receiving error code: 0x80070002 when downloading, updating, moving games in XBOX app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code: 0x80070002 when downloading, updating, moving games in XBOX app: I tried re-installing the gaming service. It didn't work. I have no idea how to fix it. 9fce01ee-3642-4f06-a48d-d19bed1f55d8
  4. Launching games from PC Xbox app - getting error 0x80070002 and the MS Store is showing...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Launching games from PC Xbox app - getting error 0x80070002 and the MS Store is showing...: Help i'm at a loss. All my games were showing an error code e0x80070002 when launching and then the MS Store loads showing Gaming Services. I have followed a number of tutorials to fix the issue...
  5. 0x80070002 error code when downloading new games from XBOX PC app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    0x80070002 error code when downloading new games from XBOX PC app: Hi team, I am trying to download games from XBOX PC app but after starting the download the speed starts with 0 B/s and then throw the error code: 0x80070002. I have tried multiple solutions but...
  6. Error 0x80070002 on installing Dyson Sphere Project via XBox app or Microsoft Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Error 0x80070002 on installing Dyson Sphere Project via XBox app or Microsoft Store: Error appears upon beginning install after checking product files. Error does not affect download of other apps. a24960dd-915a-4c2b-a51e-e6fd0b6abaf9
  7. Error code: 0x80070002 when trying to download games in Xbox PC App

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Error code: 0x80070002 when trying to download games in Xbox PC App: [img] [img] [img] Windows 11 Home build 22H2 If there is a command to compile data of my PC to help diagnose this issue please let me know here. If there is any other information I need...
  8. Issue installing Forza Horizon 5 on PC using Xbox app, error 0x80070002

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Issue installing Forza Horizon 5 on PC using Xbox app, error 0x80070002: Hey everyone, I have tried and re-tried to install this after a Windows refresh and I keep getting the error 0x80070002 which says it's something "on our end" (meaning Microsoft). I have tried...
  9. Getting error code 0x80070002 whenever I try to download anything from the Xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Getting error code 0x80070002 whenever I try to download anything from the Xbox app: Title. Recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer and had to redownload a bunch of games. For the Xbox App though, every single time I try to download anything it results in this specific...
  10. 0x80070002 error when installing apps

in XBoX on Windows
    0x80070002 error when installing apps: This appears to be a two fold issue, one of which I resolved. I'm getting 0x80070002 when attempting to install GamePass PC games to a different drive. I tried the services reinstall suggested by...