Xbox Accessories - can't map keyboard buttons to Shift function on controller

Discus and support Xbox Accessories - can't map keyboard buttons to Shift function on controller in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Hi, I'm writing about a feature that was recently released for Xbox Accessories, allowing controller buttons to be remapped so that they input... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/acidfield, Nov 6, 2023.

1. /u/acidfield
    /u/acidfield Guest

Hi,

I'm writing about a feature that was recently released for Xbox Accessories, allowing controller buttons to be remapped so that they input keyboard keys when pressed. Here is a link to the Microsoft blog about the feature:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/08/03/keyboard-button-mapping-for-xbox-controllers/

After setting up Xbox Insider, I can bind keyboard keys to my controller buttons. However, I cannot bind keyboard keys to the shift function of controller buttons. When I attempt to do so, I see the message "Coming soon!"

According to the blog, both normal and shift functions should be supported. Moreover, this functionality is critical for what I am trying to accomplish.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or workarounds for this issue!

Build: 1.2310.23001.0

Thanks,

acid

submitted by /u/acidfield
    [link] [comments]

/u/acidfield, Nov 6, 2023
  2. PalmettoBling Win User

Steering Wheel Button Mapping Support

This function does already exist. If you look in the Xbox Accessories app for mapping a controller, there are options to enable a "Shift" function and assign it to a button to allow multiple combinations of buttons to trigger different actions.

As far as specific in game assignment, that would have to be implemented by the developer. Have you attempted to use the Xbox Accessories app to assign buttons, and then map them in game?
  3. Lov10sBeauty Win User

Elite controller 2 paddles useless ?

there are a few new commands you can take advantage of in the Xbox Accessories app, namely “Shift.” Using this allows you to add secondary functions to every button on the controller; only activate when you’re holding down whatever you’ve mapped as the
    Shift key.
  4. jacob ford1 Win User

How to map screen record/screenshot to Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller on PC?

Being on PC, I have this issue as well. There is no way to map "take a screen shot" or "Start/stop Recording" to the Elite controller through the Xbox Game Bar, or Accessories App....the button mapping works fine on the accessories app, but the Game Bar application does not recognize the button inputs from the controller when attempting to assign a short cut. Short cuts must be assigned via Key Board currently, and the short cuts do not translate over IE: 'Shift - A' on the key board is not the equivalent of 'Shift-A' on the controller. To use the screenshot or recording feature on PC, I currently have quickly hit the short cut on the keyboard, then get back to the controller...very inefficient.
  5. Kathy A. Win User

Can we add the shift button on the controller to a functioning button?

Hello Jay2199,

We appreciate your suggestion for Xbox Controller mapping.

I understand that you want to add the shift button function to your controller while still using the LT function. As it is not possible to assign both LT and Shift to the left trigger on the Xbox controller. You may try to check Xbox Accessories to remap the buttons on your controller to suit your needs or check the in-game settings for remapping your controller. However, for the controllers to have this specific SHIFT button, we encourage you to share this suggestion to our Team Xbox.

Please use this link to submit your suggestion: Xbox Support.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  6. XBF Esteban R Win User

Adaptive Controller button combinations

Hey, Cat5ive!

So yeah, I looked into this, and it seems that you can't map switch to be used for multiple buttons at once.

You do have the option to map
    something to be used as Shift
    if you want to switch between two buttons on the fly for one switch, though I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for it to do.

I'd also try and check out our site page
    Customize the Xbox Adaptive Controller in the Xbox Accessories app
    for more information on this subject.

Give this info a look through and let us know how that helped resolve the issue.

Thanks
Thema:

1. Xbox Accessories - can't map keyboard buttons to Shift function on controller - Similar Threads - Accessories can't map

2. XBO controller not found in Accessories app.

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBO controller not found in Accessories app.: I have an XBO I'm trying to use on my Windows 11 PC. I've been using the bluetooth connection just fine on my PC. I tried connecting it to my Steam Deck and ran into issues. The controller...
  3. Gaming and Xbox accessories

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gaming and Xbox accessories: Is there a warranty on the xbox wireless headset? 74233fef-ed22-4226-85a8-ed1bf5cbb4aa
  4. Xbox Accessories app sign in error 0x80004005

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories app sign in error 0x80004005: Just downloaded the app to reconfigure my elite controller. It will not let me sign in. I am signed in on the Xbox app/MS store/Outlook, just the accessories app wont let me log in All apps are...
  5. Xbox accessories doesnt find updates

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox accessories doesnt find updates: Hi. I have troubles cause my Xbox one controller cannot be updated, and that's cause Accessories doesnt find any updates for this controller. Does anyone have any tips how to get an update for...
  6. Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...: I cannot use the accessories app for my elite series 2 controller on PC. Says use wired connection but it's already plugged in how do I fix this db14f4d0-0b14-4148-a926-845124931b8c
  7. Can I unbind a analog stick from the Xbox accessories

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I unbind a analog stick from the Xbox accessories: My rights and left stick are busted and I have a game I'm trying to play that just doesn't require the sticks and I have others that don't require them I was wondering if there was a way to just...
  8. I can't access my Xbox Accessories app

in XBoX on Windows
    I can't access my Xbox Accessories app: My D-pad on my controller won't work with my PC, I tried to use the Xbox Accessories app to update it and to change the controls back to normal, but every time I load up the app it's only active...
  9. Why can't I flip the X Axis in either standard controller accessories app or Adaptive...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I flip the X Axis in either standard controller accessories app or Adaptive...: The Xbox adaptive controller allows almost perfect customization. I have found literally only one thing that you cannot change on the Xbox adaptive controller accessories app or standard...
  10. Joined windows gaming preview, can't use updated xbox accessories

in XboX Insiders
    Joined windows gaming preview, can't use updated xbox accessories: I recently bought an Xbox elite controller and wanted to use the paddles as keyboard keys for forza horizon 5, however that's only an option for inside members, luckily I've been one for the past...