Xbox 360 won't set up like new device after formatting hard drive?

Discus and support Xbox 360 won't set up like new device after formatting hard drive? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Normally when your format your hard drive and memory unit it allows you to set-up your xbox 360 like a new xbox 360.... but mine just said it was done... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JayTee3, Jun 18, 2019.

1. JayTee3
    JayTee3 Guest

Normally when your format your hard drive and memory unit it allows you to set-up your xbox 360 like a new xbox 360.... but mine just said it was done and returned to the storage menu in the settings. Help?

Device: Xbox 360 Slim

:)

JayTee3, Jun 18, 2019
  2. ThisGameIsSucky Win User

I'm not too terribly up to date on my Xbox 360 knowledge but I'd like to help out. Its been years since I've booted up my console so I tried to find you some links to supports and articles that may help you out a little bit.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/storage

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/format-usb-xbox-360.html

https://www.wikihow.com/Format-a-Hard-Drive-for-Use-With-Xbox-360

I hope at least one of those helped. I read through them and they seem to be able to get you where you need to be.
  3. EggsBoxJuan Win User

System Update caused my Hard Drive to be unformatted

Hi, it's more likely what has happened is that the hard drive has failed or become badly corrupted hence why you're getting the system update request because the system can't find the software on the hard drive.

All you can do is try to format the hard drive, if it formats that's great, if it won't format or formats then shows as unformatted again after a restart of the xbox you're looking at needing to buy a new hard drive.

As you already have usb devices configured as xbox storage you can remove the hard drive and the xbox should update and use one of your usb device rather than the hard drive for the system software. You will then at least be able to use the xbox until you
    get a new hard drive.
  4. Camren DeAngelo Win User

Eternal hard drive showing as a new hard drive

I used a laptop/chromebook and it's not showing anything up for where I can install my games onto the hard drive but won't it just re-format the hard drive back onto the xbox?

Because when I plugged it in, it showed up as a new device
  5. Irixion Win User

Can't use external hard drive on Xbox 360

Format your drive to its default settings, and try to get the 360 to format it instead. The 360 uses a specific cluster size. Anything with the wrong size, and the drive won't show up. Windows usually uses its own 'optimized' settings, which the Xbox doesn't
    like. Also, larger drives take longer to mount to your Xbox, so you'll have to wait on the storage device screen for a few seconds (up to 15 seconds in some cases). iirc, the cluster size is 512, so set it to that when you format it, if the Xbox still doesn't
    detect it.
  6. TheStMichel Win User

I'm Having Hard Drive Problems

Hey there Fire!

Sorry to hear about the Hard Drive issues.

For clarification are these issues absent when the new Hard Drive is not connected to the Xbox?

Have you tried formatting your Hard Drive through the Xbox 360 console? If not, Try these steps below:

• Verify you have moved the important game data off of the Hard Drive. To do this, check out our How to Move Xbox content
      support page.
    • On your Xbox Controller press the Guide button, Select Settings and then System Settings.
    • Select storage or memory.
    • Select which storage device you'd like to format(120gb Hard Drive), then press Y on your Xbox 360 controller.
    • Select Format, and you should see a message saying, "This will delete all content on this device. Do you wish to continue?"
    • Select "Yes" to format the storage on your Hard Drive.
    After you followed each of those steps, verify if the issue persists. If the issue does persist. I'd recommend bringing the Hard Drive back to the retail location you've bought it from.

Please be sure to post back and let me know how that goes.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 won't set up like new device after formatting hard drive? - Similar Threads - 360 won't set

2. Hey I need some help with my xbox 360 controller, because it won't synk into the console...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hey I need some help with my xbox 360 controller, because it won't synk into the console...: Hey I need some help with my xbox 360 controller, because it won't synk into the console and a minute before that it let me synk my other controller f32a4156-18fe-44c4-8f69-1ca1f5d06696
  3. Trying to connect to Xbox 360 marketplace...won't connect?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trying to connect to Xbox 360 marketplace...won't connect?: Trying to connect to Xbox 360 marketplace to buy a video game which I did in October but can't now 094132d1-2583-4ab4-9d0c-6c869d427b94
  4. Why won't my xbox 360 let me sign into my Microsoft account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox 360 let me sign into my Microsoft account: When I try to sign in to my existing account to my xbox 360 it will not let me sign in I have an account on my xbox one that's lets me sign in fine but it won't let me on my xbox 360...
  5. 360 compatible games won't connect to Xbox live

in XBoX Games and Apps
    360 compatible games won't connect to Xbox live: Reset re downloaded game will continue to not connect to Xbox live on Xbox series x have 1gb internet and no issues with connection or Xbox f83858bd-4e88-4096-b549-7ae68716e635
  6. star wars battlefront 2 original won't work on my 360

in XBoX Games and Apps
    star wars battlefront 2 original won't work on my 360: i know the Xbox360 systems are getting old but this use to work on my last Xbox360. Same game disk, attempting to run on replacement console with original Hdd from my first console, attempting to...
  7. Xbox 360 game won't download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 game won't download: I bought Silent Hill HD collection for the Xbox 360 and I tried to download it to my Xbox 360 from the market place but it won't install after 79% and brings up a message saying that the game...
  8. Xbox 360 slim e won't let me do anything

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim e won't let me do anything: My old xbox 360 slim e gives me an error saying "A problem occurred while signing in. Please try again. If the problem persists, visit www.xbox.com/support." when I boot up the console, when I try...
  9. I can't play any 360 game on my Xbox series x because it won't let me download my profile...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't play any 360 game on my Xbox series x because it won't let me download my profile...: Every time I go onto a 360 game in the past week it won't let me on xbox live and so I looked online and it says to clear local xbox 360 saved storage and stuff and it said it would work. Now I...
  10. Why won't either of my series x xbox' connect to 360 servers?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't either of my series x xbox' connect to 360 servers?: I have two series x consoles in my house (two kids plus two consoles equals fewer arguments). Today my youngest wanted to play a 360 game on his profile but when trying to download his profile I...