XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay..

Discus and support XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay.. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I have ensured the my 360 is up to date with the latest downloads.. I have bought what appear to be a Microsoft Hard Drive and the official MS Data... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GTFI, Oct 1, 2018.

1. GTFI
    GTFI Guest

So I have ensured the my 360 is up to date with the latest downloads.. I have bought what appear to be a Microsoft Hard Drive and the official MS Data Transfer Cable. I have managed to transfer over the data from the internal memory onto the HDD with no
    problem at all.

I turn off the 360 , disconnect the transfer cable and secure the HDD in the drive bay on the right hand side of the unit.

When I boot up - no profiles etc. are seen - if I go to Storage - the HDD does not appear.

I have powered down - removed the drive - powered up and waited. Powered down, replaced the HDD and powered up.. same thing.. HDD doesnt appear in Storage.

I power down - reconnect the HDD to the transfer cable and boot - player profiles appear and if I go to storage the HDD now appears in Storage as expected with 223 GB storage remaining. So the HDD is mechanically sound but doesnt want to work if I fit in
    the drive bay on the machine.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here please?

:)

GTFI, Oct 1, 2018
  2. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest
    Xbox 360 Slim Question

There's a trap door in the 360 S that conceals the drive bay. The drive bay is empty on a 4GB console. You can add a HDD to it later.

IceStorm III, Oct 1, 2018
  3. Have a 4GB Xbox 360 Slim and i have a question

all xbox 360's have upgradable hard drives, the slims just have a different internal hdd from the old 360's.

BootstrapGolem, Oct 1, 2018
  4. WhiteyBlack2
    WhiteyBlack2 Guest

you need to save all again in the internal hard drive put the new one and go to settings to format the drive internally on the Xbox if not be functional that way you need to used like external drive,

But try format the drive first when is internal on the xbox

WhiteyBlack2, Oct 1, 2018
  5. EggsBoxJuan
    EggsBoxJuan Guest
    Hi, when you fit the hard drive to the Xbox it can be a little bit stiff in the bay, make sure you give it a good firm push and you should hear it make a click as it locks into place. Obviously don't go smashing the hard drive into the bay, firm but gentle
    is the order of the day.

EggsBoxJuan, Oct 1, 2018
  6. GTFI
    GTFI Guest
    I placed the HDD firmly in the drive bay and on both occasions heard the 'click', I have just completed dismantling the unit to be sure the Sata and power cables are connected as expected and sure enough all is OK and the Sata is correctly plugged into the
    correct port on the motherboard.

I power the unit up and I can feel the drive spin up - so it is running when in the drive bay... just doesnt appear under the Storage as above...

GTFI, Oct 1, 2018
  7. GTFI
    GTFI Guest
    I did format the HDD but think I may well have done it when it was connected via the transfer cable.

So you say I need to format when in the drive bay..?

GTFI, Oct 1, 2018
  8. GTFI
    GTFI Guest

No - I cant do this - the HDD is not recognised in the drive bay so I cant format it in the machine..

GTFI, Oct 1, 2018
  9. EggsBoxJuan
    EggsBoxJuan Guest
    You didn't format the hard drive on your PC did you ?

That transfer cable you have, were you asked to format the drive at all when you connected it to the cable ?

It does appear to me that the hard drive is now not going to work as you'd expect, Xbox hard drives have special partitions and formatting, if those are removed during a format on for example a PC or by using a none official transfer cable then the drive
    could only now be used as external storage

EggsBoxJuan, Oct 1, 2018
  10. GTFI
    GTFI Guest
    There has been a development thought I am not 100% sure that this has anything to do with it. The transfer cable I bought despite being Microsoft labelled (could be 'snide' I suppose) is a cable for transfer TO PC- the Ebay listing does not mention anything
    about transfer from console to HDD. The item is on the LEFT below.

[table][tr][td]EBAY : Transfer to PC Cable... (it is labelled Microsoft )[/td][td]MICROSOFT : Hard Drive transfer cable..[/td][/tr][tr][td]XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay.. [​IMG][/td][td]XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay.. [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

I am wondering if this is the problem. When I connected this cable to my HDD and Xbox and booted the machine - there was NO prompt

asking me to format the drive.... I went into the Dashboard / Storage ... the HDD did appear there and I 'manually' selected Format here.

I then transferred files on the internal memory across to the HDD successfully.. I removed the HDD and loaded into the drive bay, removed the transfer cable and booted... no profiles loaded, go into Storage -> HDD does not appear anymore ...

Remove the HDD and reconnect via the cable on the left here.. XBOX boots just fine, profiles load, go to Storage .. HDD appears showing the amount of space remaining on the drive.. great if I want to leave the HDD hanging out of the side of the machine connected
    to the USB port, (which of course I don't!)

So I am now wondering if the transfer cable itself is the problem and may have been alluded to on other forums I have read.. I have now purchased the cable on the right and hope that when I use this - this will solve the problem.. if not, then the hard drive
    (which is a Microsoft HDD, may be the problem..)

Any thoughts welcomed.. thank you.

11. GTFI Win User

I placed the HDD firmly in the drive bay and on both occasions heard the 'click', I have just completed dismantling the unit to be sure the Sata and power cables are connected as expected and sure enough all is OK and the Sata is correctly plugged into the
    correct port on the motherboard.

I power the unit up and I can feel the drive spin up - so it is running when in the drive bay... just doesnt appear under the Storage as above...
  12. GTFI Win User

You didn't format the hard drive on your PC did you ?

That transfer cable you have, were you asked to format the drive at all when you connected it to the cable ?

It does appear to me that the hard drive is now not going to work as you'd expect, Xbox hard drives have special partitions and formatting, if those are removed during a format on for example a PC or by using a none official transfer cable then the drive
    could only now be used as external storage
    There has been a development thought I am not 100% sure that this has anything to do with it. The transfer cable I bought despite being Microsoft labelled (could be 'snide' I suppose) is a cable for transfer TO PC- the Ebay listing does not mention anything
    about transfer from console to HDD. The item is on the LEFT below.

[table][tr][td]EBAY : Transfer to PC Cable... (it is labelled Microsoft )[/td][td]MICROSOFT : Hard Drive transfer cable..[/td][/tr][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

I am wondering if this is the problem. When I connected this cable to my HDD and Xbox and booted the machine - there was NO prompt

asking me to format the drive.... I went into the Dashboard / Storage ... the HDD did appear there and I 'manually' selected Format here.

I then transferred files on the internal memory across to the HDD successfully.. I removed the HDD and loaded into the drive bay, removed the transfer cable and booted... no profiles loaded, go into Storage -> HDD does not appear anymore ...

Remove the HDD and reconnect via the cable on the left here.. XBOX boots just fine, profiles load, go to Storage .. HDD appears showing the amount of space remaining on the drive.. great if I want to leave the HDD hanging out of the side of the machine connected
    to the USB port, (which of course I don't!)

So I am now wondering if the transfer cable itself is the problem and may have been alluded to on other forums I have read.. I have now purchased the cable on the right and hope that when I use this - this will solve the problem.. if not, then the hard drive
    (which is a Microsoft HDD, may be the problem..)

Any thoughts welcomed.. thank you.
  13. GTFI Win User

No - I cant do this - the HDD is not recognised in the drive bay so I cant format it in the machine..
  14. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Hi, when you fit the hard drive to the Xbox it can be a little bit stiff in the bay, make sure you give it a good firm push and you should hear it make a click as it locks into place. Obviously don't go smashing the hard drive into the bay, firm but gentle
    is the order of the day.
  15. WhiteyBlack2 Win User

you need to save all again in the internal hard drive put the new one and go to settings to format the drive internally on the Xbox if not be functional that way you need to used like external drive,

But try format the drive first when is internal on the xbox
Thema:

1. XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay.. - Similar Threads - 360 Slim HDD

2. My Xbox 360 Slim isn't detecting its HDD when it's in its slot

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 Slim isn't detecting its HDD when it's in its slot: So it reads the HDD only when I use an adapter in a USB port, it also reads my USB drives. It works fine without the HDD other than the fact that I can't play Destiny....
  3. Xbox 360 slim hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim hdd: Yesterday i tried starting up my old 360 slim, at first it displayed my profile but no gamerscore, checked storage, all is as should be except my main profile was corrupted, so i restarted the...
  4. Xbox 360 slim 4GB with 320GB official HDD won't play original Xbox games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 slim 4GB with 320GB official HDD won't play original Xbox games: I recently got hold of an Xbox 360 slim, the model that comes with the kinect and the 4GB flash memory. Obviously, that's not nearly enough space, so I ran out and bought an official 320GB HDD...
  5. Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive: So i have a slim 250 gb 360 and a broken (disk tray) old 360. I want to trade in my slim and keep the old because the only game i really want to play is Tales of Vesperia which i have from games...
  6. Xbox 360 Slim HDD in my Xbox 360 E console

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim HDD in my Xbox 360 E console: Hi, Can I use a Xbox 360 Slim HDD in my Xbox 360 E console? Whatever games, etc. is already on the Slim HDD, will it also be visible / usable on the E console? Thanks...
  7. Xbox 360 slim 500 HDD Problems with storage or something - Take a look PLZ n THX

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim 500 HDD Problems with storage or something - Take a look PLZ n THX: Okay so i got a 500 gb Hdd awhile ago for my xbox slim, and i put it in and it said it only had around 229 gb of total space, i called support and they didnt help at all, So I'm Pretty sure...
  8. Can I keep my Xbox 360 Slim HDD Data If Replaced?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I keep my Xbox 360 Slim HDD Data If Replaced?: My Xbox 360 Slim HDD appears to have stopped working properly. The most recent May update would not download until I cleared my system cache After doing so, it froze during the update I had to...
  9. Upgrading 360 Slim, with Off the Shelf HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Upgrading 360 Slim, with Off the Shelf HDD: Hello everyone, A few years back I acquired a new Xbox 360 Slim (or whatever we are calling the v2 ones). Anyway, when I got it it came with the plain old 4 GB Memory, which, just isn't going to...
  10. xbox 360 slim not picking up official 250 gb hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 slim not picking up official 250 gb hdd: Hi all, I have bought an Xbox 360 slim halo reach version that didn't come with a HDD, so I went on line and bought an official Microsoft 250 GB hard drive. When I plug it in and go to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox 360 slim internal hard drive not recognised