Xbox 360 Slim 4GB won't format

Discus and support Xbox 360 Slim 4GB won't format in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Topic basically says it all. Me and my husband went and bought a white Xbox 360 Slim 4GB from one of those rental stores. (Like rent to own) and got it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Alexaria Maie, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Xbox 360 Slim 4GB won't format

Topic basically says it all. Me and my husband went and bought a white Xbox 360 Slim 4GB from one of those rental stores. (Like rent to own) and got it home. It works fine, plays games fine. Everything runs perfect except for the internal hard drive thats
    in it won't format. I've tried formatting it like 7 times now and every single time I do it comes to the load screen and acts like it's formatting for only a minute or two(with the download bar) then then goes right back to the storage screen and still shows
    that it's unformatted. Need help plz x.x

Yeah I didn't explain that very well. Explaining things is not my forte

:)

Alexaria Maie, Mar 15, 2016
  2. taidara
    taidara Guest
    Cant connect on xboxlive with new console

I know from some previous issues with a new Xbox 360 Slim 4GB that the users had to first format the HDD to sort it out. I assume you have nothing stored on this HDD. If so, try format the HDD.

taidara, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Xbox 360 4gb slim, will not format!

Formating the 4gb slim only erases the data. Seeing as you are having trouble you could go and delete everything manually.

Also i think there is a setting in the console settings that say something along the lines of "Reset to factory settings" or "reset to default settings"

Mythic xSagex, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Vorpal1986
    Vorpal1986 Guest

Well, why you want to format the internal storage 4gb? This is not an HDD, it's only used for system files, saves and a few tiny games. If you try to format it, it'll will not be able to start the console system. If you need space to install games or everything
    else, use a pendrive or an external or internal HDD attached to your console

Vorpal1986, Mar 16, 2016
  5. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest
    Sorry to hear you're having this issue. It sounds like an issue with the internal flash drive itself. This is one of the issues with getting from a rent to own place. They aren't able to check and see if the hardware is working properly when someone else
    returns it.

Also, considering that you would more than likely end up paying better than 5 or 6 times the actual retail cost of the console at a rent to own place I would recommend returning it and heading to your local gaming store and purchasing one new. That way
    you would have the warranty to fall back on in case something happened.

onyxishere, Mar 16, 2016
  6. Vorpal1986
    Vorpal1986 Guest
    Vorpal1986, Mar 16, 2016
  7. Irixion
    Irixion Guest
    It's a 4 GB console. There's no HDD. The internal storage is failing from the sounds of it, and it can't be repaired. So, I'd recommend returning the console.

Irixion, Mar 19, 2016
  8. Xbox 360 Slim 4GB won't format

We went ahead and returned the system and informed them of the problem. One of my friends graciously gave us hers and thankfully it works perfect! Thank you all for the advice ^^

Alexaria Maie, Oct 31, 2018
  9. EatMyFlesh Win User

Xbox 360 slim 4gb 2012 model BAD INTERNAL MEMORY or Corrupt data

Today I will be posting a Video on Youtube to show what my new xbox 360 slim 4gb, is doing.. The internal memory can't be formatted, the last update can't be deleted from it, It won't even reset to factory setting, all because of 4gb of bad internal memory..
  10. Mythic xSagex Win User

Xbox 360 4gb slim, will not format!

Formating the 4gb slim only erases the data. Seeing as you are having trouble you could go and delete everything manually.

Also i think there is a setting in the console settings that say something along the lines of "Reset to factory settings" or "reset to default settings"
  11. taidara Win User

Cant connect on xboxlive with new console

I know from some previous issues with a new Xbox 360 Slim 4GB that the users had to first format the HDD to sort it out. I assume you have nothing stored on this HDD. If so, try format the HDD.
  12. Obsessive Power Win User

Help! Hard drive unformatted after every restart

I think we have a misunderstanding here. I believe the OP is having an issue with the on-board memory on their 4GB Xbox 360 Slim, correct?

If that is the case, then depending on the age of their machine, they either need to return it to the store or set up a repair with Xbox support. The 4GB in the Slim should not be asking to be formatted unless there is a fault with it.

http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/repair/repair-process
  13. Honeybun75 Win User

4GB Xbox Not Showing Proper Amount of Space

Sage,

You might want to read the OP before copy and pasting an answer that doesn't apply.

If you noticed, I already covered the base 10 (decimal) to base 2 (binary) conversion issue in the OP. I even provided a summary of the math. I suppose it wasn't clear enough though, so I'll try again.

4.0GB (base 10) = 4,000,000,000 bytes.

4,000,000,000 bytes / 1,073,741,824 bytes = 3.7GB (base 2)

Every time an Xbox 360 formats a flash drive it reserves half a gig for the system. This is why on the older Xbox 360 4GB Slim you see a Capacity of 3.3GB on the internal memory unit and usable space of 3.2GB when it is freshly formatted. You will see the
    exact same thing if you take a 4GB USB stick and format it in any Xbox 360.

On this new Xbox 360 Slim it shows a Capacity of 3.0GB and useable space of 2.9GB when it is freshly formatted. And yes, freshly formatted means there is NOTHING on the drive. All of the folders are empty. Yet the free space is only 2.9GB.

I would like to know why this new Xbox 360 4GB has less useable memory space than an Xbox 360 4GB bought last year.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Slim 4GB won't format - Similar Threads - 360 Slim 4GB

2. The frozen 4gb xbox 360 slim

in XBoX on Consoles
    The frozen 4gb xbox 360 slim: Backstory: (2016-2018) I have an xbox 360 slim, the 4 gb version. I was second owner(first one had it from 2014-2016) the 4gb was enough storage at the time because it was barely used and I had...
  3. nepovedena aktualizace xbox 360 slim 4gb [Edit - Translation] - xbox 360 slim 4gb update ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    nepovedena aktualizace xbox 360 slim 4gb [Edit - Translation] - xbox 360 slim 4gb update ...: Dobry den, nedari se mi aktualizovat xbox 360. zkousel jsem to i pres flash disk, ale porad to pise chybu "Can´t update your console". Na konzoli sviti zelene svetlo uprostred a ovladac blika....
  4. Xbox 360 slim 4GB with 320GB official HDD won't play original Xbox games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 slim 4GB with 320GB official HDD won't play original Xbox games: I recently got hold of an Xbox 360 slim, the model that comes with the kinect and the 4GB flash memory. Obviously, that's not nearly enough space, so I ran out and bought an official 320GB HDD...
  5. xbox 360 slim 4Gb no elimina archivos dañados

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 slim 4Gb no elimina archivos dañados: tengo xbox slim de 4gb y cuando voy a eliminar los archivos dañados los elimina y cuando reinicio están ahí. no se actualiza y por ende no conecta a xbox live . no se que hacer, no deja...
  6. 4gb 360 Slim console will not update or go on live will go on internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    4gb 360 Slim console will not update or go on live will go on internet: I have a 4gb 360 Slim console it will not update or go on live it will connect to the internet but not update or connect to live. Console had only the 4gb and no other Hard Drive when I bought it...
  7. Xbox 360 Slim 4GB update failure

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim 4GB update failure: Hi all, Recently I got an old version but unpacked and so still new XBOX 360 Slim with 4GB. Right after the unpacking and starting with the first instalation process I got to the problem I was...
  8. Xbox 360 Live Slim model 4GB, error code 0x80070571, Have cleared cache and reloaded profile. ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Live Slim model 4GB, error code 0x80070571, Have cleared cache and reloaded profile. ...: I'm at a loss to figure why cloud drive not syncing to open my GTA 5 online files. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. After 3rd update to Xbox live that's when I started receiving error...
  9. Xbox 360 slim 4GB and Kingston Datatraveler G4 32GB

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim 4GB and Kingston Datatraveler G4 32GB: Hi everyone. I own a 4GB Xbox360 Slim and I wanted to buy a Kingston Datatraveler G4 32GB to use it as an external memory. Does it work good? a1803c30-226b-434d-b5b2-fcebca832053
  10. 360 Slim E 4GB stuck in update loop and wont connect to live due to this. Help please.

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 Slim E 4GB stuck in update loop and wont connect to live due to this. Help please.: I have done everything on the support site to troubleshoot this. I have cleared cache, reset router, reset xbox network settings, attempted to install download from CDR and a properly formatted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox 360 cant format memory unity 4gb