Xbox 360 slim 250gb hard drive won't format

Discus and support Xbox 360 slim 250gb hard drive won't format in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, Recently the 250 gb hard drive for my slim console got the E68 error code and failed on me. I ordered a used microsoft 250gb hard drive (same... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Boffalo87, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Boffalo87
    Boffalo87 Guest

Hello,

Recently the 250 gb hard drive for my slim console got the E68 error code and failed on me. I ordered a used microsoft 250gb hard drive (same as the original) and it arrived a couple days ago. when I put the new hard drive in the console starts up normally
    but I am prompted to download the newest system update. When I choose this option it tells me I don't have enough storage space 190 MB of free space, available. I realized soon after that the hard drive is not formatted. When I go through all the steps to
    format everything seems to go fine. I put in the console serial number, the process begins and it tells me formatting in process. but once the process is complete it brings me back to the Storage Devices page where the hard drive is still seen as unformatted.Iis
    this an issue with the new hard drive or my console? Again the hard drive is being detected by the console it's just the formatting operation is not successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Boffalo87, Aug 28, 2014
  2. MuscularChip
    MuscularChip Guest
    Which Is Better

Which Is Better Between A Xbox 360 4GB Slim With A 250GB Hard Drive OR Just A Xbox 360 250GB Slim

MuscularChip, Aug 28, 2014
  3. Dr Black Bones, Aug 28, 2014
  4. Boffalo87
    Boffalo87 Guest

Is there any solution to this problem? Please help!

Boffalo87, Aug 30, 2014
  5. Mmm Anarchy
    Mmm Anarchy Guest
    Does this used drive have a warranty? I would try to take advantage of it if it does. Are you sure it's a genuine MS Product? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this sounds like a defective HDD. Unfortunately there's only so much you can do with the
    xbox dashboard in terms of storage diagnostics and control..

Mmm Anarchy, Aug 30, 2014
  6. Mmm Anarchy
    Mmm Anarchy Guest
    Also, note-worthy this is generally the failure mode of HDDs in various Xboxs. You're prompted for the dashboard update because it doesn't see it on the HDD because the HDD is no longer readable-hence it asking you to format it. It _really_ sounds like someone
    sold you a bad HDD.

If you lived closer I'd let you try a spare HDD.

Mmm Anarchy, Aug 30, 2014
  7. I'm have this same issue. Got a new HDD through service and it didn't work either, so they sent me a new console and THAT isn't working. With the new HDD that they sent either...

LazyProjector78, Aug 31, 2014
  8. Boffalo87
    Boffalo87 Guest

Thanks for your help, I was hoping it wasn't defective but that seems to be the only explanation. I should be able to return it so thank you again for your help.

Boffalo87, Aug 31, 2014
  9. Mmm Anarchy
    Mmm Anarchy Guest
    @LazyProjector, they sent you a new HDD and that didn't work...so they sent you another console while using the same _old_ HDD? Process of elimination still points to a bad out-of-box HDD. Hope you're still under warranty!

Mmm Anarchy, Sep 1, 2014
  10. Mmm Anarchy
    Mmm Anarchy Guest
    Also, out of curiosity..I have a 250gb Slim myself. Bought Christmas 2012-how long have you had yours? Should I start putting saved games on flash drives now? lol

Mmm Anarchy, Sep 1, 2014
  11. Nope, support said I needed a new HDD, so I sent that in to be replaced and got a new one (supposedly) instead. I then plugged in the new HDD and still had that same issue with it not being recognized, so support told me to send in my console. Got the new
    console back and plugged in the new HDD and boom, same exact problem.

And I got this Xmas of 2013.

LazyProjector78, Oct 31, 2018
  12. SONIC SCREAM 07 Win User

Burnoiut Paradise and the 4gb Xbox

You will have to get a 250GB Hard Drive for the Slim. Or you can try to see if it accepts a USB flash drive, formatted to use with the Xbox 360.

Note: It has to be at least 1GB and a maximum of 16GB.
  13. Dr Black Bones Win User

Can I use those old hard drives for the newer xbox 360's?

14. ellerem Win User

Problem with internal memory

Some XBOX 360 Slims have issues with the internal small memory even if formatted frequently. Everything can run from your inserted 250gb hard drive so make sure you install everything there.

Is yours the slim? If so leave the small internal memory unformatted when it fails and asks to be formatted again. Then just use the other drive.
  15. bincheepundajoh Win User

Can't play Halo 2!

It's on the 360 slim. I got a 250GB hard drive.
  16. maxen Win User

xbox 360 hard drive not working

For Original Xbox games to be playable on an Xbox 360, it needs to be an official Microsoft Hard Drive.

However, there is no official 120GB hard drive for the Slim, only 250GB and 320GB.

There is a 120GB for the original-style Xbox 360 and the later Elite, but not Slim.

If you are using a Slim, the hard drive itself will be the problem and you will need an official one.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 slim 250gb hard drive won't format - Similar Threads - 360 slim 250gb

2. I can't get the 10 digit code for my Xbox 360 250GB Slim

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't get the 10 digit code for my Xbox 360 250GB Slim: Can someone reach out to me as I have been trying to connect my Xbox Live Account to my Xbox via the Xbox mobile app however i cannot get the 10 digit code for my Xbox 360 250GB Slim version....
  3. xbox 360 slim 250GB wont play backward compatible xbox games (need for speed underground 2,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox 360 slim 250GB wont play backward compatible xbox games (need for speed underground 2,...: when either are inserted it shows original xbox logo for a second then this message: [img] i bought this xbox second hand last year, and havent touched the hard drive so im assuming they...
  4. Problem with router password that has special characters. Xbox 360 (slim, 250gb, internal ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem with router password that has special characters. Xbox 360 (slim, 250gb, internal ...: Hey guys, my son is having a problem connecting to my WiFi router because (he says) that the xbox 360 will NOT recognize special charactersin a password. This seems to me to be a strange mistake...
  5. XBOX 360 Slim 250Gb - Will I be banned if I replace HD?

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 Slim 250Gb - Will I be banned if I replace HD?: Hello! I need an official answer because I'm really confused, I googled, I read a lot and asked to every one... I've an XBOX 360 3 or 4 years old, it's perfect but I need to change the HD because...
  6. Xbox 360 Slim 250GB has a red dot and won't turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim 250GB has a red dot and won't turn on: hi, So I accidentally spilled a drink on my xbox 360 slim. So at first the system fans shut off and the video stopped displaying. Then the power button turned red and stayed red. So I let the...
  7. Bought Xbox 360 Slim 250gb Second Hand, Has Family Settings On, With 4-digit Pass Code, ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bought Xbox 360 Slim 250gb Second Hand, Has Family Settings On, With 4-digit Pass Code, ...: Hey there, I don't really know where to post this kind of question to forums, as I've never posted here before. But basically I bought a xbox 360 slim 250gb console second-hand, and it has family...
  8. Xbox 360 Slim 250GB Matt Black Model Signal Problem PLEASE HELP!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim 250GB Matt Black Model Signal Problem PLEASE HELP!!: Hey Everyone, Having a problem where my Xbox when I turn it on it dose not give signal through HDMI to my television. What I done, I was watching a DVD this morning so I turned on my Xbox it...
  9. 360 Slim 250GB making weird grinding noise at startup

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 Slim 250GB making weird grinding noise at startup: Good day to all of you. For the last couple of months, my 360 slim that I've had for about four and a half years have been making this really loud grinding noise at startup, and sometimes it goes...
  10. How do I tell if I have a legit MS 250GB HD in the 360 Slim?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I tell if I have a legit MS 250GB HD in the 360 Slim?: How do I tell if I have a legit MS 250GB HD in the 360 Slim? I bought a 360 Slim off craigslist a while back and saw the hard drive inserted with an end piece missing. The hard drive is visible...