Xbox 360 S will not play H.264 Protected Content from WMC

Discus and support Xbox 360 S will not play H.264 Protected Content from WMC in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Comcast is in the process of converting their channel lineup to H.264. I use the Xbox 360 S as a Windows Media Center extender and this has worked... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CoolWhip23, Jan 31, 2016.

1. CoolWhip23
    CoolWhip23 Guest

Comcast is in the process of converting their channel lineup to H.264.

I use the Xbox 360 S as a Windows Media Center extender and this has worked great for years. Now that Comcast is converting their stream to H.264 the Comcast premium channels that are copy protected such as HBO will no longer play. I get audio but no video.
    The non copy protected channels play fine. MPEG2 protected content has always played fine and continues to do so.

There are many other people with this problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

:)

CoolWhip23, Jan 31, 2016
  2. Tomerance
    Tomerance Guest
    what kinds of video does my x-box support??

From USB storage device to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264, AVI

From Windows Media Player 11 to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264, AVI

From the Zune software to the Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264

From Windows Home Server to the Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), AVI

From Windows Media Center to an Xbox Media Center Extender: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), MPEG-2

If you video files are not compatible with you Xbox, you may need to convert using conversion utility like
    Handbrake,
    AppGeeker
    , etc., both of them have presets

to make things easier.

Tomerance, Jan 31, 2016
  3. JBernard11
    JBernard11 Guest
    Green screen with HEVC (.265) videos

It's H.265 not .264. .264 works without issue.

JBernard11, Jan 31, 2016
  4. Tomerance Win User

From USB storage device to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264, AVI

From Windows Media Player 11 to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264, AVI

From the Zune software to the Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264

From Windows Home Server to the Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), AVI

From Windows Media Center to an Xbox Media Center Extender: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), MPEG-2

If you video files are not compatible with you Xbox, you may need to convert using conversion utility like
    Handbrake,
    AppGeeker
    , etc., both of them have presets

to make things easier.
  5. JBernard11 Win User

Hey there custom90gt.

Sorry to hear your troubles with H.264 content. To start out, are you or any users on your Xbox One part of the Preview Update? If so, have you had a chance to report the issue over on the Preview Forums? If not, let us know so we can best help you out. H.264
    content is supported as
    outlined in this FAQ
    , although if your files contain unsupported content it may not work properly.
  6. Nic12321 Win User

Hey there custom90gt.

Sorry to hear your troubles with H.264 content. To start out, are you or any users on your Xbox One part of the Preview Update? If so, have you had a chance to report the issue over on the Preview Forums? If not, let us know so we can best help you out. H.264
    content is supported as
    outlined in this FAQ

Yep, and it still doesn't work. Pretty disappointing considering how microsoft touts the xbox as a multimedia machine.
  7. Deadlyredly Win User

Hiya, bit long winded, but hope this helps!:

Supported File Types

The Xbox 360 supports AVI, WMV, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264 and QuickTime movie formats. The file extensions included are as follows: .avi, .divx, .wmv, .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, and .mov.

Video Playback

For video files with the WMV container, playback occurs at 15 Mbps (Mega-Bytes Per Second) with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Files with the H.264 container have the same resolution, but are played back at 10 Mbps. For AVI and MPEG-4 Part 2 video files, playback
    is 5 Mbps at 1280 x 720 resolution.

Audio Playback

The Xbox 360 supports WMA 7-9 and Lossless audio profiles for WMV video formats. Dolby Digital and MP3 profiles are supported in AVI formats. For MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 encoded videos, the console supports only two-channel AAC audio encoding.

Streaming Video

With Zune software, the Xbox 360 can stream unprotected AVI, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264, and WMV video formats. Through Windows Media Player, protected and unprotected WMV videos can be streamed.

Streaming Tips

Download a third-party video codec package to expand the amount of video formats you can stream using the Windows Media Player. For better playback, convert video files into the more Mircosoft user-friendly WMV format using a third-party video conversion
    program.

Source(s):

Video Playback & Audio Streaming FAQ for the Xbox 360
  8. Mister Maka Win User

Hey there custom90gt.

content is supported as
    outlined in this FAQ
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 S will not play H.264 Protected Content from WMC - Similar Threads - 360 play 264

2. Xbox Play And Charge Kit USB C - Compatible with Xbox 360? Edit, not.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Play And Charge Kit USB C - Compatible with Xbox 360? Edit, not.: Hey, I know this is a long shot, but there any chance of this being compatible with the Xbox 360? https://www.xbox.com/en-AU/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit My gut instinct...
  3. Can the xbox 360 play xbox classic games? If yes what 360 ( like: arcade, premium, slim))do...

in XBoX on Windows
    Can the xbox 360 play xbox classic games? If yes what 360 ( like: arcade, premium, slim))do...: (( sorry for my bad english)) I have read that you can play xbox classic games om any 360. But is it true? Because i want to play Need for speed underground 2 ect...
  4. How can i play minecraft with friends on xbox 360?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How can i play minecraft with friends on xbox 360?: I know that xbox live gold now is game pass core, but i want to be sure that when i will redeem game pass core code i would be able to play online. be780707-f773-462d-b006-4b52ef2c6e44
  5. Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?: My PC is on windows 11. I have my Xbox 360 controller connected via the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows' the controller works fine for all games, I have just completed the Halo Master...
  6. Can't play Xbox 360 games on series x

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't play Xbox 360 games on series x: I need to fix my backwards compatible games I try to download my profile on the Xbox 360 dash board on my series x and everytime I try to download it says I can't connect to Xbox live I've tried...
  7. Xbox 360 controller is not playing any audio or microphone is not working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller is not playing any audio or microphone is not working.: I recently just bought a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm headphone jack so I could listen to audio and talk on my old Xbox 360 using newer headphones. But it doesn't play any sound through it and doesn't...
  8. I want to know why it is not possible to be able to use an Xbox 360 controller to play Xbox...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I want to know why it is not possible to be able to use an Xbox 360 controller to play Xbox...: I mean seriously tho. It is mainly because my Xbox One controller is in bad condition and has bad drift on both analog sticks. i love playing the fallout series along with alot of other games i...
  9. my sonic unleashed game on the xbox 360(brand new btw) isnt working, it only says, play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my sonic unleashed game on the xbox 360(brand new btw) isnt working, it only says, play...: It either has a laser burn, or something is wrong with the laser e05ab3d3-7d05-4022-a070-f96b3cbb9a3e
  10. I can’t connect to Xbox Live when trying to play Xbox 360 games on my Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can’t connect to Xbox Live when trying to play Xbox 360 games on my Xbox One: So I have done quite a bit of research regarding the backwards compatibility issue with Xbox 360 games on Xbox One, and nothing seems to work for me. At the end of the day, I can’t sign into my...