Xbox 360 S refusing to recognize games on disc, updates or DLC after transfer from older HDD

Discus and support Xbox 360 S refusing to recognize games on disc, updates or DLC after transfer from older HDD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently migrated all my game content to an Xbox 360 S (250GB) from an Elite-model 120GB HDD, but encountered severe problems almost instantly.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RougeNerd, May 22, 2014.

1. RougeNerd
    RougeNerd Guest

Xbox 360 S refusing to recognize games on disc, updates or DLC after transfer from older HDD

I recently migrated all my game content to an Xbox 360 S (250GB) from an Elite-model 120GB HDD, but encountered severe problems almost instantly. Games acquired digitally work fine, but those on disc have been rendered completely unplayable. I've tried
    all the typical solutions (clearing the system cache, transferring content licenses, reinstalling game files) but have been unsuccessful. When trying to play almost any disc-based game, the Xbox demands a title update, which is then downloaded and the game
    restarts like normal. However, upon restart, the Xbox then claims the disc to be unreadable despite being in pristine condition. When trying to run the game again, either after restarting the console or not, it will cycle between this error or claiming it
    was unable to download an update. I can see few other options besides wiping my saved files clean and starting fresh, or going the expensive route of sending it in for repairs. Is there anything I missed?

:)

RougeNerd, May 22, 2014
  2. Xbox 360 S won't read old HDD on Xbox HDD Transfer Cable

I just upgraded to a Factory Refurbished Xbox 360 S after getting my THIRD red ring of death in as many years on the original style Xbox 360 (I know right?). I got the 250GB Xbox 360 S, and an Xbox HDD Transfer Cable to transfer my old HDD (20GB) to the
    new 250GB Xbox. I followed all the instructions, but the Xbox still won't recognize the old HDD. Even when I go to the Storage option on the Xbox System Options menu, it doesn't show the HDD on the cable. At first I thought the cable was bad, or maybe my HDD
    was fried, so I gave the HDD to a friend who still has the old-style Xbox, and he inserted it into his Xbox. It read the HDD no problem, so I figured it must be the cable. My roommate also has an Xbox 360 S, so I hooked the cable up to his to see if it would
    read the HDD; no dice. So today I took the cable back and got a new one. Still no luck. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm Crap Outta Luck as far as getting the games, etc. off my old HDD, but thought it would be worth a shot to post on here
    and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Dimples McCree, May 22, 2014
  3. iRayDawg
    iRayDawg Guest
    Disc Drive is having issues playing anything

It sounds like your disc drive in your xbox may need to be repaired, but before we jump to that conclusion if you could. Please try using the Disc Drive Solution tool to check and see.. If your Xbox indeed needs to be repaired it will alert you at the end
    if the solutions it recommends does not correct your issue. http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/disc-drive/disc-drive-solution

As for the HDD issue, you can not use the OLD 360 HDD's with the new Xbox 360 S since it has and different style of HDD that slips into the console, but you can transfer all of your files from the OLD style HDD to the new HDD for the 360 S by using a

Transfer cable
    . However you will also need to transfer all your content licenses from the old console to the new one as well by using this tool

here

iRayDawg, May 22, 2014
  4. WPAK
    WPAK Guest

Hi there,

you could try to see what happens when a game isn't installed so just run it from disc, also try to play a game via a different profile.

So you can determine if it is caused by the profile.

For me it currently sounds like a hardware issue with the disc drive...

5. RougeNerd
    RougeNerd Guest
    Running games from disc results in the game asking for an update that doesn't exist. The only way around this I've found so far is playing offline. The test profile works perfectly normal.

RougeNerd, May 23, 2014
  6. WPAK
    WPAK Guest
    So when trying a game with that test profile You can start a game without problems, even when connected to the internet? If so, please try deleting your profile and download your profile again if you know the email address and password for your account.
    In short, delete your profile only, clear cache, turn console off, turn console on, clear cache one more time and download your profile.

7. RougeNerd Win User

Running games from disc results in the game asking for an update that doesn't exist. The only way around this I've found so far is playing offline. The test profile works perfectly normal.
  8. WPAK Win User

Hi there,

you could try to see what happens when a game isn't installed so just run it from disc, also try to play a game via a different profile.

So you can determine if it is caused by the profile.

For me it currently sounds like a hardware issue with the disc drive...
  9. WPAK Win User

So when trying a game with that test profile You can start a game without problems, even when connected to the internet? If so, please try deleting your profile and download your profile again if you know the email address and password for your account.
    In short, delete your profile only, clear cache, turn console off, turn console on, clear cache one more time and download your profile.
  10. VisageOfAnAngel Win User

Purchasing Dark Souls DLC on a Disk?

You buy the DLC from the online store and it installs to your HDD. After the DLC is downloaded and you play the game it will recognize the DLC is on the HDD and load it along with the game. You can play the disc version of the game with DLC.
  11. iRayDawg Win User

Disc Drive is having issues playing anything

It sounds like your disc drive in your xbox may need to be repaired, but before we jump to that conclusion if you could. Please try using the Disc Drive Solution tool to check and see.. If your Xbox indeed needs to be repaired it will alert you at the end
    if the solutions it recommends does not correct your issue. http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/disc-drive/disc-drive-solution

As for the HDD issue, you can not use the OLD 360 HDD's with the new Xbox 360 S since it has and different style of HDD that slips into the console, but you can transfer all of your files from the OLD style HDD to the new HDD for the 360 S by using a

Transfer cable
    . However you will also need to transfer all your content licenses from the old console to the new one as well by using this tool

here
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 S refusing to recognize games on disc, updates or DLC after transfer from older HDD - Similar Threads - 360 refusing recognize

2. Xbox 360 not turning on

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 not turning on: I don’t know what happened but for some reason whenever I try to plug it in and turn it on, literally Nothing happens. Like there’s no rrod or lights the psu doesn’t even change there’s just...
  3. I am trying to update a vintage gaming system. The Xbox 360. It just says Can’t update your...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am trying to update a vintage gaming system. The Xbox 360. It just says Can’t update your...: I am trying to update a vintage gaming system. The Xbox 360. It just says Can’t update your console and gives a weird status code. Please help Jen 03063d52-94dc-42e3-a9a5-e38328db3bbb
  4. Games missing on Xbox 360 based on region

in XboX Insiders
    Games missing on Xbox 360 based on region: Hi I want to buy Resident evil 5 for xbox 360 but it seems that it is missing from the xbox 360 store (i live on greece) I noticed though that I can find it in my UK account but it has a different...
  5. Why is my Xbox 360 slim not connecting to my wifi?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox 360 slim not connecting to my wifi?: I use Cox and this is what my settings are (i am using a 2.4 ghz network). WPA WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES), And the mode is 802.11 g/n. I dont think the card is dead because it is still pulling info just...
  6. Xbox 360 Store Shut down

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Store Shut down: So, I know that the 360 store will shut down by the end of july, but I like to know can we still not get the xbox games and 360 games on our xbox series x store online or will all the xbox and 360...
  7. Cannot enable cloud storage on an Xbox 360 jasper, even though I have enough storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot enable cloud storage on an Xbox 360 jasper, even though I have enough storage: When enabling cloud storage I get this error , “console needs either a hard drive or console memory with 514mb available”. I have over 70gb of storage free though...
  8. Error code 80072741....trying to download....AGAIN....my profile to my 360....i have all...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Error code 80072741....trying to download....AGAIN....my profile to my 360....i have all...: All the details are in the question....cant get ant help from support as they don't offer a chat option for this issue and the AI is dumb 88af6598-6393-44f5-9a6c-1042b508c4be
  9. Update currently unavailable? Xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Update currently unavailable? Xbox 360: I bought an xbox 360 off someone yesterday and I haven’t been able to get it working. I’ve connected the Ethernet and everything and the internet works fine according to the connection test. I...
  10. Xbox 360 refusing to power on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 refusing to power on: Hoping my xbox hasn't died, but I'm reasonably sure it has. Yesterday, I was playing a game for a couple of hours and the 360 powered off and wouldn't immediately turn back on. The power button...