Xbox 360 S Disc Drive Loud Noise

Discus and support Xbox 360 S Disc Drive Loud Noise in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I purchased an Xbox 360 S and recently have noticed when I play the following games: Tony Hawk’s Underground 2, Madden 13, and Halo Reach, the drive... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by LouisF12, Jun 5, 2019.

1. LouisF12
    LouisF12 Guest

I purchased an Xbox 360 S and recently have noticed when I play the following games: Tony Hawk’s Underground 2, Madden 13, and Halo Reach, the drive gets louder and i can hear what sounds like gears shifting back and fourth really fast loudly and constantly.
    The console sits horizontally and these games play perfectly otherwise, but when i play Test Drive Eve of Destruction or Pro Street it sounds relatively silent. I’m aware that you can install your games to the hard drive but i don’t want to have to constantly
    clear space. Again the games are playing fine but the noise is very loud and VERY annoying! Of anyone could give suggestions that would be a big help.

:)

LouisF12, Jun 5, 2019
  2. loki87 Win User

DiscDrive makes annoying noise after start-up

Hi Rob, since this has started happening has it happened with different discs? Do you notice any scratches on the disc(s) after ejecting? I haven't noticed anything like this since the last updated, but that doesn't mean it isn't related. Hopefully, it
    isn't your disc drive going bad, because loud noises on the 360 disc drives were often the precursor to drive failure.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Which 360 Console Do you Own These days?

For several years I've had a Xbox 360 core console with a 120GB hard drive. This machine has served me well, in fact, it's now sitting in another room. It was repaired a few times, the last being November 2008. Over the past twelve months or so though,
    it's become rather loud. All the games are installed, it's the fans that are loud. They go full speed for the duration the machine is on.

I've just recently purchased a Xbox 360 S with a 250GB and I'm impressed. The machine is quieter than my PS3, and the my PS3 is pretty quite. No fan noise, no disc noise, the 360 S is great!
  4. XBF Crystal P Win User

Hi there Louis,

Thanks for reaching out here in Xbox Forums. I understand there is a concern with the Xbox 360 S disc drive producing a loud noise. The noise may be produced by the fan and operating system running the games. The sound may vary depending on the game graphics
    and system performance capabilities. I recommend to contact Customer Support
    for further assistance or visit the Device service and Repair
    site.

Hope this helps.
  5. Major Wreckus Win User

CD Drive Noise?

You'll never have a 100% silent disc drive when it is reading data from the disc. As long as it is still reading/detecting the disc fine and not a loud grinding noise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hmm, a clicking noise...could be the hard drive.
  6. Internet Expert Win User

Drive literally won't stop running

Games not yet installed to the hard drive, and Xbox 360 "Arcade" titles published to disc (Minecraft, The Walking Dead, etc) will constantly require the disc drive to load files. The latter is due to the fact that you cannot install
    Arcade discs to the hard drive.

In terms of noise, game discs tend to spin faster than movie DVDs. The drive will constantly spin so disc data is readily accessible at any given moment. Significantly louder noises than usual from the disc drive may indicate age
    or wear in the components within.

You can try repositioning the console (vertical or horizontal, while turned off), and see if the different position helps dampen the vibrations causing the loud noises.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 S Disc Drive Loud Noise - Similar Threads - 360 Disc Drive

2. When I put in a Xbox 360 disc my Xbox Series X disc drive beeps

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I put in a Xbox 360 disc my Xbox Series X disc drive beeps: When I put in the [slightly damaged] disc, it's spins, does stage normal sounds that I hear and then it's a quiet beeeeep then it goes back to the sounds and it repeats, any ideas why?...
  3. why will my xbox 360 disc drive open when sideway's but will not open when upright

in XBoX on Windows
    why will my xbox 360 disc drive open when sideway's but will not open when upright: My xbox 360 disc drive sometimes get's stuck when upright and does not when sideways. Also when I leave a disc inside my xbox disc drive does not get stuck. Does anyone have any idea why this...
  4. Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...: Hi everyone, I have an Xbox 360 Slim console that I had just replaced the disc drive in (the tray broke in the last one). The problem I am having with it is that when I insert a game disc, the...
  5. 360 disc drive wont read games

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 disc drive wont read games: The 36 console start to have issue that effect gaming experience. I looked into the 360 and I wasn’t the only one. I learned that the 360 had the infamous red ring and was very faults machine. A...
  6. XBOX 360 Disc Drive Won't Read Discs

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX 360 Disc Drive Won't Read Discs: My brother and I were given an XBOX 360 for Christmas about 4 years ago. Its the original console. I think it was bought refurbished. About a year after playing on it, we bought the Minecraft disc...
  7. XBOX 360 Boots without disc drive connected

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 Boots without disc drive connected: Took apart a 360 with E-64 issue. Really clean virgin unit (stickers were still in place). Yet getting E-64 which points me to disc drive. Had another set of the power cords - no joy (still E-64)....
  8. XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error): My xbox 360's disc drive laser seems to barely be moving even with all the fixes i tried. It first moves close to the center of the disc then stays there and moves just ever so slightly. The disc...
  9. Issues with xbox 360 disc drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Issues with xbox 360 disc drive: So me and my brother were trying to figure out what was wrong with our xbox 360 disc drive, because it took multiple attempts to get it to read discs and we had to beat it up to finally get it...
  10. xbox 360 slim disc drive opens automatically

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 slim disc drive opens automatically: Hello maybe someone here on this blog have an idea what i can do, besides from going to an hardware store please :) so my xbox 360 slim turns on normally then the green lights flash continuously...