XBOX 360 first gen HD transfer issue (128G to 250G)......

Discus and support XBOX 360 first gen HD transfer issue (128G to 250G)...... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I have the original XBOX 360. I recently bought a new HD for it in order to go from 128G to 250G. I used the OEM (Microsoft of course) transfer... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by robert rouleau, Nov 1, 2023.

1. XBOX 360 first gen HD transfer issue (128G to 250G)......

Hello,

I have the original XBOX 360. I recently bought a new HD for it in order to go from 128G to 250G. I used the OEM (Microsoft of course) transfer cable and software but when the transfer was complete (all the data, games, etc.) the new drive is still showing a 128G capacity. I would like to regain the unused partition. I do know how to do this on a PC HD, but I have no clue on how to do this with the XBOX 360 HD, if it is even possible.

Any help, docs or links I can refer to would be greatly appreciated,

Robert

:)

robert rouleau, Nov 1, 2023
  2. robert rouleau Win User

Hmmmm.... I have the "FAT" version of the XBOX 360 as folk like to refer to it, Not the "Slim".

Anywho, to give more history and elaborate more on the issue at hand, I purchased the XBOX 360 loooooong ago when it was first released to the public with a 20G HD. That ended up with a "RED ring of death". Sent it back to Microsoft and it was replaced with a new refurbished one still with the 20G HD and all the data preserved. I started to run out of room on the 20G. So I got a 128G OEM HD from Microsoft. This transferred without issue and reported the full capacity of the new drive and all transferred data. No issues. Then the 128G HD over many years it started to run low on space. Sooooo I recently got a 250G OEM Microsoft drive. This is clearly stated on all forums, as well as MS itself, that the 250 OEM Microsoft drive will work with the "FAT" XBOX 360. In fact, if you wanted to Play COD when it was released on the XBOX 360 "FAT", it was required to have at least the 250G drive.

So yes, I could do an external drive. But I would prefer to actually use the 250G to full capacity for the remainder of the XBOX 360s life. The XBOX Software with the OEM transfer cable looks like this time around, did a clone of the 128G partition on the old drive and the rest of the 250G drive is simply tagged as unused (not recognized as usable disk space). Would have assumed the OEM transfer software would have formatted and partitioned the drive properly when doing the transfer to the larger drive.

So in summary;

20G -> 128G ; Worked out fine.

128G -> 250G ; Not fine. 250G HD is still showing a capacity of 128G.

Lastly, I does not seem I can "retry" the process if I missed a step since the old 128G HD is now "disabled" by the transfer software (most likely due to MS not wanting duplicate drives all over the place). Hopefully I am wrong on this statement.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

There is no official way to expand storage space beyond that limit.
    You can use regular external USB hard drives on the Xbox 360. This increases the storge limit to 2TB (2TB is the limit of the drive). Games can be moved from the internal drive to these external drives as well.

There are a few select Xbox 360 games that have to be partly installed. For these games you need to have an internal drive. An official internal drive is also required to play backwards compatible original Xbox games.

As these consoles get older, there is increased risk that the DVD drive will fail. To that end, I recommend any disc based games are fully installed as this will reduce the wear and tear on the Xbox 360's optical drive.
  4. David Wirsching Win User

Hello Robert R, My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today.

Unfortunately, the Xbox 360's hard drive capacity is limited by the console and it is not possible to easily expand the storage space beyond the official options provided by Microsoft. Even if you have installed a larger capacity hard drive, the Xbox 360 will only recognize and use the amount of space available for the original 128GB model.

On the original Xbox 360, the hard drive capacity limit is 250GB, so even if you installed a larger hard drive, the console will only use up to that limit. There is no official way to expand storage space beyond that limit.

It is important to note that any unofficial modifications to the Xbox 360 hardware or software may violate Microsoft's terms of use and void the console's warranty.

Best regards.
  5. ReacTionZ v7 Win User

Taking forever

Mister gwyther the transfer of the gamer tag worked perfectly .... But would transferring to a new 250g HD solve my issues ..... Because I transferred with no issues to a USB stick
  6. ReacTionZ v7 Win User

Taking forever

Miss ermine ... I took out the 250g hd and turned on but asked for a update. Turned off rep lugged the HD back in and same issues happened
Thema:

1. XBOX 360 first gen HD transfer issue (128G to 250G)...... - Similar Threads - 360 gen transfer

2. Start making the original 360 controllers for next gen consoles

in XboX Insiders
    Start making the original 360 controllers for next gen consoles: I’d like to say just for memories I had with the 360 since it’s getting shut down so why not make a 360 controller for people to use submitted by /u/Imaginary-Ease8041 [link] [comments]
  3. Old Xbox 360 Account has reset on new gen when signed in but not reset on 360. Any ideas?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Old Xbox 360 Account has reset on new gen when signed in but not reset on 360. Any ideas?: Okay so basically what happened is I signed into my old Xbox 360 account on a S series and the web app. But the account has nothing on it at all as if it was reset in the process but here’s the...
  4. How do I make a Xbox 360 account so I can save my gameplay on my games? On new gen

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I make a Xbox 360 account so I can save my gameplay on my games? On new gen: Need help I need to make a Xbox 360 account and somehow put it on my new gen so I can save my Xbox 360 gameplay d850d155-ad32-45df-89bb-6e2a8875b33e
  5. I have 2 Xbox 360 2nd gen with no hard drives can't get either one of them to pick up any...

in XBoX on Windows
    I have 2 Xbox 360 2nd gen with no hard drives can't get either one of them to pick up any...: Can't get Xbox 360 to read any hard drive no matter what format I use 1f864e3c-ddf8-47e6-a0fa-9732591d255d
  6. Would the next gen Xbox be capable of celebrating your gamerscore milestones like the 360 did?

in XboX Insiders
    Would the next gen Xbox be capable of celebrating your gamerscore milestones like the 360 did?: I think having a montage of all the game achievements you unlock and milestones. A visual timeline of how your gamerscore increased that year. submitted by /u/MR_Fantistic [link] [comments]
  7. Xbox 360 1st gen vs. Xbox 360 E?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 1st gen vs. Xbox 360 E?: Hello friends I have a query. please help. I own a relatively mint condition Xbox 360 first generation (bought in 2006). Yesterday I bought a Xbox 360 E, second hand and I tried playing some...
  8. Xbox 360 1st gen vs. Xbox 360 E?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 1st gen vs. Xbox 360 E?: Hi all, I have a realtively mint condition Xbox 360 first generation (bought in 2006). Yesterday I bought a Xbox 360 E, second hand and I tried playing some games on it (Halo Reach, Call of Duty...
  9. XBOX 360 Old Gen & HDMI

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 Old Gen & HDMI: Hi there! Yes I know, 2019 probably is a little late for an XBOX 360 old generation discussion, but I have a question in regards to visual output to a 4K HDTV. Luckily, my 4K Roku TV HDTV has a...
  10. Xbox 360 1st Gen Tray

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 1st Gen Tray: Hi is anyone else having problems with their Xbox 360 1st Gen tray not closing all the. Because mine is not closing all the way and I can't play games or movies and its getting irritating. I don't...