Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error)

Discus and support Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; This is how it goes down... So, for the past couple of months now, my xbox is *** up. It started slowly in 2011 where it would take me min 2 minutes to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by miheer, Nov 22, 2014.

1. miheer
    miheer Guest

This is how it goes down...
    So, for the past couple of months now, my xbox is *** up. It started slowly in 2011 where it would take me min 2 minutes to read a disc. I just thought, maybe it's normal. Overtime, my xbox got worse and worse. It only read my really old discs and never
    my new ones. I remember buying GTA V and COD Ghosts when they came out however, it took me quite a while to get onto them. At that point, i realised that this is worse than i thought. Now, it reads NO DISKS AT ALL! It just gives me the "Open Tray" error. I
    am really annoyed because i have quite a few games and I really enjoyed playing Xbox 360. I would like to request the public if they know of any way to fix this error without opening the console?

Also, I would just like to say, would it be possible to convert my games? In which i mean, if i send Microsoft my Call Of Duty Ghosts disc, they will send me a code via email which I can use to download the game straight onto my hard drive. This way, I would
    still be able to use my console. Please reply to me ASAP! I really need help and have been sitting here clueless for quite a while. Thank You very much for reading!

:)

miheer, Nov 22, 2014
  2. open tray problem with new xbox 360

my new xbox 360 wont read the disks, i put in a game and it says open tray . the xbox has not been opened or tampered with but it wont work how to i fix this

Sn0wManNipples, Nov 22, 2014
  3. XBOX 360 Elite disk tray wont open

disk tray wont open on my elite, although it will let me open it and close on dashboardperfectly, xbox doesnt even make the flash on xbox when buttons pressed... any ideas?

JordanQuinn92, Nov 22, 2014
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

Sorry to hear it. Because this has been an ongoing issue for a few years it may be that the laser is no longer able to read discs and the console would need to be repaired or replaced.

As for your disc based games, I'm sorry to say what you have suggested is not possible. Microsoft will not exchange discs for codes.

onyxishere, Nov 22, 2014
  5. onyxishere Win User

Sorry to hear it. Because this has been an ongoing issue for a few years it may be that the laser is no longer able to read discs and the console would need to be repaired or replaced.

As for your disc based games, I'm sorry to say what you have suggested is not possible. Microsoft will not exchange discs for codes.
  6. StevenPonce de Leon Win User

Xbox 360 disk format update problems

none of these steps really helped me, Ive tryed them all but they didnt work, I put in a game and my 360 elite reads it, then it says open tray, I have to open the tray like a alot of time before the game gets read, and my 360 never acted up till the disk
    format update.
  7. YellowJacket LE Win User

Received invalid promo code for Xbox 360 trade in.

Wow..i didn't even know they had a program like this. I have a spare 120GB Elite 360 that barely gets used now after getting my SE MW3 320GB console but i don't know if my Elite would qualify as the disk tray sticks:/
  8. Andrew_F90 Win User

Disk is Unreadable

Is it the Open Tray error message or does it say that the disk is unreadable? I had an issue with my old original white xbox, it started with the an error like this:

The disk is unreadable.

1. Clean the disk with a soft cloth.

2. Restart the console

Then that error became more and more frequent with all my games then the error changed to the Open Tray error, where it would just say Reading...then Open Tray because it did not recognize the disk.

Steps for unreadable disk:

Make sure the disks are clean from dust and dirt. If they appear dirty or spotty clean them with a soft cloth.

Clear your system Cache and try to load the game again -
    support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

Try removing your hard drive while the console is off then start it again and try to play - if this works let me know more steps are needed.

Check for tray errors-Press the open tray button and watch the tray if it opens about half way then retracts or acts weird then this may be a hardware issue.

Check to see if the console is overheating. Feel the top of the console as you play and see if it gets hot to the touch. Over heating does not always result in a red light error and has been know to cause disk read errors.

If you get the open tray error let us know there are many "fixes" but the most reliable resolution is replacement.

Hope this helps.
  9. Gianni Guice Win User

Modern Warfare 3 Disk Read Error / Disk Unreadable

I am having the same issue. All my other disk read perfectly normal. Sometime the MW3 disk reads great but most of the time it doesnt. I will sit there for a good 15-20 min opening and closing the disk tray. I have tried all the trouble shooting tips they
    dont work either. Most time i close the tray and it says reading then the disk drive stops spining and it says open tray. Some times it starts to read it and starts to load the game then I get the disk read error. some time it will actually start to play
    and I get the disk read error. i am on my second game disk.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error) - Similar Threads - 360 Elite 120GB

2. None of my Xbox 360's will connect to Xbox Live

in XBoX on Consoles
    None of my Xbox 360's will connect to Xbox Live: I have 2 Xbox 360's and I've been trying for the last week to get either of them to connect online so that I can download DLC and updates for my library before the store goes down in July. My...
  3. Im having issues trying to play 360 games on my series x.

in XBoX on Windows
    Im having issues trying to play 360 games on my series x.: it wouldn't let me use cloud saving, so I reset my xbox, now it wont let me download my profile or connect to xbox live , what can I do to fix this? I've powered cycled my console, cleared local...
  4. Recover things from a long wiped 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Recover things from a long wiped 360: I have an odd situation. In mid 2015 my whole XBox 360 wiped itself and I don't know why. It had also done this once before, I'd estimate around mid 2014. I did lose stuff I cared about, but I was...
  5. XBOX SERIES S — XBOX 360 connection/profile error

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX SERIES S — XBOX 360 connection/profile error: Hello! I recently got an Xbox Series S and have been attempting to play Fallout: New Vegas on it via backwards compatibility, however an issue has been coming up preventing me from this. I have...
  6. Can't sign into Xbox 360 profile on Xbox one console

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't sign into Xbox 360 profile on Xbox one console: I've tried absolutely everything possible, clearing Xbox 360 cache, deleting and redownloading the profile, it doesn't give me an error code, just tells me to go here, I'm clueless and without...
  7. Xbox 360 Elite power supply light

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Elite power supply light: I have a Xbox 360 Elite and the power supply light is orange when I am using the console. Is this normal? Thanks ec522ef2-d4f1-4329-809d-b632280e2257
  8. While using an elite controller s2, the mic will not work well on 360 game but it will work...

in XBoX on Consoles
    While using an elite controller s2, the mic will not work well on 360 game but it will work...: When I’m using my elite controller, I try to go in the 360 game my mic doesn’t work but if I switch to a normal controller it does work but not with my elite controller...
  9. Updated faild Xbox 360 elite 2014

in XBoX Accessibility
    Updated faild Xbox 360 elite 2014: [img] Can't process the update. If the problem persists, go to www.xbox.com/support. Status Code: 4451-4497-1381-0300 - C800-0036 Any help please 82021126-55fa-4e11-9b8b-dd779a407771
  10. Xbox 360 Elite Problems

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Elite Problems: so, the other day i bought an xbox 360 Elite manufactured in January 2008 with a Falcon V1 motherboard. The first 2 times i powered it on it had RROD, showing "general hardware failure" but the...