xbox 360 E red light on startup

Discus and support xbox 360 E red light on startup in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When powering on the xbox the green light appears for several seconds and then turns solid red. I've tried turning everything off and disconnecting... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CloudierGrain90, Sep 2, 2016.

1. xbox 360 E red light on startup

When powering on the xbox the green light appears for several seconds and then turns solid red.

I've tried turning everything off and disconnecting and then reconnecting cables without any success. If remove the A/V cable the xbox will power up, but obviously no visual and audio info! This gives me confidence that its not the power supply. When
    plugging in the A/V lead the xbox powers off after approx 10sec or less with the red light.

The xbox is 2yrs old and not used that much (9yr old plays with it on the weekends). I've cleaned the xbox where appropriate around the vents etc.

I've heard reports about consoles overheating and then turning off with red light, I cannot see how this would be the case with this console as it doesn't stay on for longer than 10sec.

The only other point I can add is that when disconnecting the A/V cable and then reconnecting it, I did hear the CD drive or Fan starting up, this does not happen until plugging in the A/V cable. This may or may not have any reflecting on the issue.

Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated.

:)

CloudierGrain90, Sep 2, 2016
  2. Xbox Hard Drive Issue

I recently bought an Xbox 360 S genuine microsoft drvie from ebay but it wont work on my Xbox 360E console i get error code E 68 and no red blinking lights just a solid red light in center of power button. Any advice?

GermfreePine065, Sep 2, 2016
  3. KINECT PROBLEM RED LIGHT

My kinect is showing red light and the console says isn't conected.

Xbox 360 E

BethinaRachadel, Sep 2, 2016
  4. EggsBoxJuan
    EggsBoxJuan Guest

Hi, if your Xbox has a hard drive fitted try removing that and see if the Xbox will then boot up, if it does then the hard drive is at fault.

The red light on the power button generally indicates a hardware error, if the Xbox still shows the red light with the hard drive removed then try a different A/V cable.

If none of that works then you may need to get the Xbox repaired.

EggsBoxJuan, Sep 2, 2016
  5. QuickMythril
    QuickMythril Guest
    that's the 360E version of the "Red Ring of Death".

you can get a little more detail on what type of error you have. by pressing the sync and eject buttons you can retrieve a 4 digit error code which is a Base 4 (Quaternary) equivalent to the error code given when the console boots up and displays an error
    screen rather than not booting at all. the error screen would give this code in the Decimal "E##" format.

to get your secondary code, hold sync, then press eject. this will give you the first digit based on the number of flashing lights. press eject a second time for the second digit, again for the 3rd, and again for the 4th. pressing it again will return
    to the original regular red light pattern. (on the older consoles, a number of lights will light up 1-4, 4 is equal to a 0 in the code. think of the 4 lights making a circle or 0. newer consoles do not have the dual green-red leds, so they flash a particular
    number of times if i am not mistaken, rather than lighting up a certain number of ring sections.)

knowing this code can sometimes help narrow down the issue. you can use this link to convert your secondary code to an E## error code: (for example 0102 or "4142" would be E18)

www.metric-conversions.org/.../base-4-quaternary-to-decimal.htm

you can then look up your E code here:
    support.xbox.com/.../error-code-lookup

however most E codes will either be not found or just say, "This means there may be a problem with the Xbox console hardware." which i think you have already figured out by this point, lol. anyway i have a lot of experience with broken 360 consoles, so
    if you can post back with your more specific error code, perhaps i can help a little more.

most likely it would need some repair work, and 360E being a newer model, it's likely still under warranty, so the cost could be covered by MS.

QuickMythril, Sep 2, 2016
  6. First up thanks to everyone that has responded to my query.

To answer some of the questions I have some feedback below which highlights what I have carried out todate, in all 4 tests the light sequence 4433 occurs - this equates to E15 - MS:"Error code E15 occurs when you use your Xbox 360 console". I seriously
    cannot believe that it said that!

1. Removed all peripheral devices from mother board and cleaned out any dust from around the fan and micro. FYI there was very little dust/dirt around board. I noted some heat paste around the micro, but not alot and it was still quite moist (so maybe this
    is ok). I then put all peripheral's along with AV cable back into unit and as expected the red light appeared.

2. I then removed wifi module without AV cable being plugged in and unit as expected powers up ok, however when plugging in the AV cable unit shuts down with red light after approx 5sec.

3. I then removed cd drive again without AV cable powered up device. All was ok until plugged in AV cable.

4. Finally I removed hdd, where again I had not connected AV cable. As expected device powered up ok, but when plugging in AV cable device shutdown.

So in reviewing above it looks very much like an AV cable issue. However before committing to this, does anyone know if the hdd or cd drive would start up if AV cable wasn't plugged in. I couldn't hear hdd doing anything while AV cable not plugged in!
    The AV cable could be a trigger to start the cd drive and possibly hdd (so these may still be causing the problem). I just put multimeter on AV cable and all 3 leads buzzed out ok, was unsure why the ground was in the middle of the connector (maybe this
    is an issue, can anyone advice)?

Final question for this reply... I seen that some people carryout a reflow on main micro, is this worth a go, as it sounds like a risk if temperature not correct or apply heat for too long. As the Error Code makes me think I have to return the box now!
    If return what do they replace... mother board, RAM..? Hence I reflow might be worth a final punt.

Any feedback welcome on any points written above. I'll maybe buy a new AV cable before thinking about reflow of micro.

CloudierGrain90, Sep 3, 2016
  7. EggsBoxJuan
    EggsBoxJuan Guest
    Hi, I'm afraid that all discussion of self repair is against the forum rules and as such no further support can be offered.

As you have now opened the Xbox up there is no option to send the Xbox in to Microsoft for a repair.

EggsBoxJuan, Oct 31, 2018
  8. CloudierGrain90 Win User

First up thanks to everyone that has responded to my query.

To answer some of the questions I have some feedback below which highlights what I have carried out todate, in all 4 tests the light sequence 4433 occurs - this equates to E15 - MS:"Error code E15 occurs when you use your Xbox 360 console". I seriously
    cannot believe that it said that!

1. Removed all peripheral devices from mother board and cleaned out any dust from around the fan and micro. FYI there was very little dust/dirt around board. I noted some heat paste around the micro, but not alot and it was still quite moist (so maybe this
    is ok). I then put all peripheral's along with AV cable back into unit and as expected the red light appeared.

2. I then removed wifi module without AV cable being plugged in and unit as expected powers up ok, however when plugging in the AV cable unit shuts down with red light after approx 5sec.

3. I then removed cd drive again without AV cable powered up device. All was ok until plugged in AV cable.

4. Finally I removed hdd, where again I had not connected AV cable. As expected device powered up ok, but when plugging in AV cable device shutdown.

So in reviewing above it looks very much like an AV cable issue. However before committing to this, does anyone know if the hdd or cd drive would start up if AV cable wasn't plugged in. I couldn't hear hdd doing anything while AV cable not plugged in!
    The AV cable could be a trigger to start the cd drive and possibly hdd (so these may still be causing the problem). I just put multimeter on AV cable and all 3 leads buzzed out ok, was unsure why the ground was in the middle of the connector (maybe this
    is an issue, can anyone advice)?

Final question for this reply... I seen that some people carryout a reflow on main micro, is this worth a go, as it sounds like a risk if temperature not correct or apply heat for too long. As the Error Code makes me think I have to return the box now!
    If return what do they replace... mother board, RAM..? Hence I reflow might be worth a final punt.

Any feedback welcome on any points written above. I'll maybe buy a new AV cable before thinking about reflow of micro.
  9. QuickMythril Win User

that's the 360E version of the "Red Ring of Death".

you can get a little more detail on what type of error you have. by pressing the sync and eject buttons you can retrieve a 4 digit error code which is a Base 4 (Quaternary) equivalent to the error code given when the console boots up and displays an error
    screen rather than not booting at all. the error screen would give this code in the Decimal "E##" format.

to get your secondary code, hold sync, then press eject. this will give you the first digit based on the number of flashing lights. press eject a second time for the second digit, again for the 3rd, and again for the 4th. pressing it again will return
    to the original regular red light pattern. (on the older consoles, a number of lights will light up 1-4, 4 is equal to a 0 in the code. think of the 4 lights making a circle or 0. newer consoles do not have the dual green-red leds, so they flash a particular
    number of times if i am not mistaken, rather than lighting up a certain number of ring sections.)

knowing this code can sometimes help narrow down the issue. you can use this link to convert your secondary code to an E## error code: (for example 0102 or "4142" would be E18)

www.metric-conversions.org/.../base-4-quaternary-to-decimal.htm

you can then look up your E code here:
    support.xbox.com/.../error-code-lookup

however most E codes will either be not found or just say, "This means there may be a problem with the Xbox console hardware." which i think you have already figured out by this point, lol. anyway i have a lot of experience with broken 360 consoles, so
    if you can post back with your more specific error code, perhaps i can help a little more.

most likely it would need some repair work, and 360E being a newer model, it's likely still under warranty, so the cost could be covered by MS.
  10. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Hi, I'm afraid that all discussion of self repair is against the forum rules and as such no further support can be offered.

As you have now opened the Xbox up there is no option to send the Xbox in to Microsoft for a repair.
  11. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Hi, if your Xbox has a hard drive fitted try removing that and see if the Xbox will then boot up, if it does then the hard drive is at fault.

The red light on the power button generally indicates a hardware error, if the Xbox still shows the red light with the hard drive removed then try a different A/V cable.

If none of that works then you may need to get the Xbox repaired.
  12. L4c3rd4 Win User

Xbox 360 E version Red Light on startup

I see. So sorry my friend, but usually when that happens is a hardware issue. :(
Thema:

1. xbox 360 E red light on startup - Similar Threads - 360 red light

2. 360 red. LIGHT. ON POWER BUTTON SO GOT USED 360 & can't connect to live,&6

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 red. LIGHT. ON POWER BUTTON SO GOT USED 360 & can't connect to live,&6: 360 can't connect live I called. Xb. & My Internet provider ATT. NO HELP. ROUTER CANT CONNECT TO XBOX I TRIED WIRELESS SAME MESSAGE. XBOX TEST FAILURE. WHEN I TEST IT SAYS CONNECTED. THEN. IT...
  3. 360 Red light so got another 360 & can't log on profile

in XBoX Accessibility
    360 Red light so got another 360 & can't log on profile: 360 Red light so got another 360 & PROFILE DON'T SHOW UP & GAMERTAG IS NOT SAME AS THE ONE. ON THE XBOX CONSOLE? IM PLAYING 15 YRS WITH LIVE GOLD ACCOUNT I HAV. YET NOT SURE. WHAT MICROSOFT IS...
  4. My xbox 360 slim has a green light when not plugged into tv, but turns red when plugged...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox 360 slim has a green light when not plugged into tv, but turns red when plugged...: I recently changed the thermal paste on this console and the fan sounds so much better, its no longer at max speed constantly, but when I plug the HDMI cable into the tv it turns the console light...
  5. What can I do if my Xbox 360 S is turning on but shows a red light when it's switched on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What can I do if my Xbox 360 S is turning on but shows a red light when it's switched on...: What can I do if my Xbox 360 S is turning on but shows a red light when it's switched on and then turns off b43c1a19-9640-44ef-b293-8cbb5d3ba3c1
  6. Xbox 360 slime red light

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slime red light: I have a xbox 360 slim the turn on botton goes green when turned on then goes red around the bottom I cleaned the vents and still red and when I connect the hdmi it won't appear on my TV. What can...
  7. Xbox 360 S red dot with four flashing green lights

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S red dot with four flashing green lights: Hi guys looking for help to diagnose my fault. I had a red dot on the power button of my Xbox 360 s . When I interrogate this by holding down the sync button and eject button I get solid red dot...
  8. What to do when xbox 360 power brick light turns red?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What to do when xbox 360 power brick light turns red?: What to do when xbox 360 power brick light turns red? 0d7ed1e9-81b8-4306-8974-60a8793eaeb5
  9. There is a red light on my xbox 360 ring

in XBoX on Windows
    There is a red light on my xbox 360 ring: There is a red light on my xbox 360 ring 60bfc58f-fc99-435b-ae4d-50b7aa9a25fc
  10. when trying to start xbox 360, get green light, then immediately flashing red light and it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    when trying to start xbox 360, get green light, then immediately flashing red light and it...: when trying to start xbox 360, get green light, then immediately flashing red light and it turns off. how can I fix? b66bee0f-4328-4b23-8327-e6dc9ce62405