Xbox 360 Discs and DVDs won't play on my Xbox One

Discus and support Xbox 360 Discs and DVDs won't play on my Xbox One in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; My Xbox One has not been able to play DVDs since August, I thought nothing of it since I have an Xbox 360 still which is what we use to watch DVDs on.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by MichaelPage424, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Xbox 360 Discs and DVDs won't play on my Xbox One

My Xbox One has not been able to play DVDs since August, I thought nothing of it since I have an Xbox 360 still which is what we use to watch DVDs on. However, recently, I discovered that my Xbox One will not let me install or play Xbox 360 games even though
    I have been able to previously install the game and play it on it before. I had previously removed said game before due to not having enough storage space on my Hard Drive.

Those in Tech Support that I spoke with suggested it is possible that the Preview Program was causing issues and that I'd need to factory reset everything on the device, which I did with the same results. I'll put the disc in and nothing happens at all even
    though I can install/play xbox one titles and even play blu-ray movies on the device but still can't install/play xbox 360 games or watch dvds. I've even sent a 'report a problem' to the preview program to see if it can be fixed which I have my doubts. Any
    suggestions on what could be the cause if it is a technical issue. If not and it's a hardware issue then what could the hardware issue be so I can start looking to get that fixed rather than spending $135 to get my xbox repaired when I can do it myself since
    I'm not under a warranty.

:)

MichaelPage424, Nov 11, 2017
  2. JoshAguilar
    JoshAguilar Guest
    Xbox One doesn't play DVDs but will play Blu-rays. Anyone else have this problem?

The strangest thing. My OG Xbox One will play Blu-ray discs just fine. I've watched plenty of Blu-ray movies on it plus I've played many of my Xbox One games on it too (witch are on Blu-ray discs too). Unfortunately when it comes to DVDs, the One won't play
    them. Usually I wouldn't give a thought about it because I no longer have any DVDs and have no need to watch a DVD movie but the fact is that I cant access any of my Xbox 360 games either because those are on DVDs. Kind of strange and I'm hoping I can get
    a fix because I have allot of 360 games on discs that I can't play because of this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Xbox One will play media on Blu-ray discs (Xbox One games/Movies) but won't even read DVDs (Xbox 360 games) witch means I can't play any BC games.

JoshAguilar, Nov 11, 2017
  3. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest
    Report: Xbox 360 emulation planned for Xbox One, claims Microsoft executive

[quote user="Hellfire IRL"]HD discs won't play in the Xbox One blu-ray drive, obiviusly as described an emulator sorts that out.[/quote]This is jibberish.

Xbox 360 titles are on standard DVD discs. They have never been available on HD DVD. The discs themselves are readable just fine by the Xbox One's optical drive.

IceStorm III, Nov 11, 2017
  4. Xbox 360 Discs and DVDs won't play on my Xbox One

Please close this post since tech support has helped me confirm it is an issue with the optical disc drive. Matters will have to fall onto my shoulders since I will be going out of my way to order the part I need from online. Also, accidentally reported
    this thread so please ignore the report.

MichaelPage424, Nov 11, 2017
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox 360 discs no longer work on Xbox One X

Hi,

You've said you've tried blu-ray discs and Xbox One discs but have you tried DVD discs?

Xbox 360 games are on DVD and my guess is that DVD won't play either.

The reason why they won't play is that DVD diode for reading these discs has failed. Other discs work because that laser diode is still working.

Try a DVD disc. If it does not work you'll need a repair.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

HELP ME PLEASE! XBOX ONE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY NOT WORKING AT ALL?!?!?!!?!?!?

Hi,

It's not the discs it's your console. If your console can not read DVD movies then it won't read Xbox 360 games either. DVD movie discs use the same type of discs that 360 games use (DVD-9).

The Xbox One has two lasers to read discs. One for Blu-rays - which Xbox One discs games are made of - and one for reading DVD's and Xbox 360 games.
  7. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One S Won't Ask to Update Xbox 360 Discs that I insert

Hi,

Can you confirm if your console can read DVD discs?

Xbox 360 games are on DVD and Xbox One games are on Blu-Ray. The Xbox One's Blu-ray drive has a separate laser to read DVD's, if it has malfunctioned, Xbox 360 games can't be read and the digital download for BC games won't start.

To test this out, try playing a DVD movie disc. In all likelihood these films won't play and that will confirm drive malfunction. If this is the case you'll need your console repaired/replaced.
  8. IceStorm III Win User

Report: Xbox 360 emulation planned for Xbox One, claims Microsoft executive

[quote user="Hellfire IRL"]HD discs won't play in the Xbox One blu-ray drive, obiviusly as described an emulator sorts that out.[/quote]This is jibberish.

Xbox 360 titles are on standard DVD discs. They have never been available on HD DVD. The discs themselves are readable just fine by the Xbox One's optical drive.
  9. Obsessive Power Win User

Backwards compatible games and dvds won’t work

Hi,

Sorry about your problem there. I take it that normal DVD's won't play now either? If the answer to that is yes, then I'm afraid your console's Optical drive has a fault.

There are two lasers in the Xbox One. The red laser is for DVD's and Xbox 360 game discs (360 games are on DVD) and a Blue laser for Blu-ray discs (Xbox One games are on BD discs).

Unfortunately Microsoft no longer repairs the original Xbox One. Only the Xbox One S and One X can still be repaired. You'll need a new console if you want to play BC games on disc.
Thema:

Xbox 360 Discs and DVDs won't play on my Xbox One

1. Xbox 360 Discs and DVDs won't play on my Xbox One - Similar Threads - 360 Discs DVDs

2. When I put in a Xbox 360 disc my Xbox Series X disc drive beeps

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I put in a Xbox 360 disc my Xbox Series X disc drive beeps: When I put in the [slightly damaged] disc, it's spins, does stage normal sounds that I hear and then it's a quiet beeeeep then it goes back to the sounds and it repeats, any ideas why?...
  3. Xbox 360 disc in Xbox one is it compatible?

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox 360 disc in Xbox one is it compatible?: So I bought a Xbox 360 game to play it but I have a Xbox One I searched up if the disc would work with my game and the results kept saying backwards capability and I don't know if that's a app or...
  4. When the 360 store shuts down in July will get on disc still be able to be updated and...

in XBoX on Windows
    When the 360 store shuts down in July will get on disc still be able to be updated and...: Just wondering as I have quite a few games that I have not played yet. Will they install from dosc and will they get updated after next month or so I need to install them beforehand? Thanks....
  5. Will the Assassins Creed 3 Xbox 360 disc be compatible on Xbox Series X? Will Fallout 3...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will the Assassins Creed 3 Xbox 360 disc be compatible on Xbox Series X? Will Fallout 3...: Will the Assassins Creed 3 Xbox 360 disc be compatible on Xbox Series X? Will Fallout 3 Xbox 360 disc be compatible with Xbox X series? Liam. V c487a30e-37cd-4c7c-a465-f333689f344a
  6. Hi i have a Xbox 360 and when i try playing GTA V it gives me this disc is unreadable i...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hi i have a Xbox 360 and when i try playing GTA V it gives me this disc is unreadable i...: Hi i have a Xbox 360 and when i try playing GTA V it gives me this disc is unreadable i need help pls. by 5f17215b-1c92-4aeb-a266-cddb5f0e3f6e
  7. On Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc...

in XBoX on Consoles
    On Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc...: on an Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc is healthy ? Is this a good way of testing whether a disc is healthy ?...
  8. My Xbox 360 stopped reading discs. When I put a disc in, it just says reading and then...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 stopped reading discs. When I put a disc in, it just says reading and then...: My Xbox 360 stopped reading discs. When I put a disc in, it just says reading and then it’ll go back to open tray. I have tried numerous different discs. bddf303c-080c-427b-936c-bff465775784
  9. NTSC XBOX 360 disc on xbox 1

in XBoX on Consoles
    NTSC XBOX 360 disc on xbox 1: So, I was rummaging through my basement, when i found a disc (halo: reach) of my old Xbox 360 (NTSC) . My friend has an xbox one (bought in india, so it must be PAL if it is region locked), so i...
  10. Can you play the NBA JAM Xbox 360 disc on Xbox one and series x ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can you play the NBA JAM Xbox 360 disc on Xbox one and series x ?: Can you play the NBA JAM Xbox 360 disc on Xbox one and series x ? 0bef4aae-8237-41a3-bf4f-8998f8b3600a