Xbox 360 controller will not connect to Windows 10 Wireless Adapter

Discus and support Xbox 360 controller will not connect to Windows 10 Wireless Adapter in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I just bought a "Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10" to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my PC. The adapter installed its driver when I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ant BBK, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Ant BBK
    Ant BBK Guest

I just bought a "Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10" to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my PC. The adapter installed its driver when I plugged it in, and then said it was ready. I pressed the pairing button on both the adapter and my controller, both search, but never find each other.

This seems to be a known common problem with these, and people solved it years ago by updating the driver for the adapter. I found my adapter in the Device Manager, but the fix says to look under "Other Devices" as an "Unknown Device", but I instead found it under "Network Adapters" as "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows". I know this is the right device, because when I remove the adapter from my computer, this device disappears.

I try to follow the old fix's instructions: I right click on the adapter device, and update the driver. I browse my computer for drivers. "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". Here I'm supposed to find "Xbox 360 Peripherals" and after acknowledging the warning and downloading, this driver should make my adapter work. But I cannot find "Xbox 360 Peripherals", even if I uncheck "show compatible hardware", and look though some of the Microsoft drivers. The only compatible driver is called "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows".

I update and install this only option I have, I get a successful install message, try to pair them both again, but they won't sync. The driver that I updated says it's from 11/30/2015 in its properties, and is a Microsoft driver. My Windows 10 is up to date, and installed an update earlier in the day. The only I fix I can find is that the driver should to updated, and that specific driver that worked, I can't find now.

I also tried downloading the Xbox Accessories App, but even the app acknowledges that it does not work with Xbox 360 controllers.

So now what? Thanks.

------

Update, I may have it almost solved. I don't recommend this part, because you may not have to do this step, but I downloaded an old version of Xbox drivers that used to be available on the Microsoft site, but are not anymore. I scanned the .exe I downloaded through virustotal.com and my free antivirus, seemed ok, running it seemed like an official Microsoft product, and should have put "Xbox 360 Peripherals" in my drivers (but I may have already had them), but I still could not see the updated driver from the device update screen in Device Manager.

But here's the big progress: When I uninstall the adapter's automatic driver and software from my computer completely from the Device Manager, and I remove the adapter from my computer, and with the Device Manager still open, I insert the adapter again. Before the adapter gets to run it's automatic configuration download, it does appear as the fix said it should, an "Other Device", where I can follow the fix exactly as the instructions said, and I can find "Xbox 360 Peripherals" like I should. But the problem is, by the time I begin the install the correct driver as the fix said, the automatic setup has finished, and it doesn't let me actually download the "Xbox 360 Peripherals", and switches back to the old "Network Adapters" as "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows", that doesn't work. I'm trying to figure out how I can make the automatic setup stop now, and changing the automatic device installation setting off is not stopping it yet.

------

I can get "Xbox 360 Peripherals" installed on the adapter. Uninstall the current adapter driver, and start fresh. Turn off the internet, and when you connect the adapter, it will not be able to automatically configure, and will be stuck as an "Other Device" but mine said "XBOX ACC". Now you can follow the old fix instructions to put "Xbox 360 Peripherals" drivers onto the adapter. I had 6 driver choices inside peripherals: Controller, Receiver, Charge and Play Kit, and each has a 2019 and 2009 version. I tried all the 2019 drivers, installed them successfully, but now the light that turns on when pairing, won't turn on with any of these new drivers. I restarted my computer after changing the drivers, I removed the adapter after changing the drivers, but the light won't turn on to pair. If I uninstall the driver and start from scratch, and let the adapter automatically install its non-functioning driver, the light will turn on again when pairing. I tried to pair it even with the light not working as the 2019 version Receiver and it would not pair.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a fake look-a-like Microsoft adapter, or maybe this official product just doesn't work anymore with current versions of Windows. Maybe a 3rd party adapter is the only thing that could actually work nowadays.

*** Moved from Windows/Windows 10/Devices and drivers ***

:)

Ant BBK, Dec 14, 2023
  2. XBF Diego M Win User

Can the X Box One Wireless Controller with Bluetooth also be used with the X Box One Wireless Adapter for Windows 10?

Hi Beau,

Thank you for coming to the Xbox forums, I'd be happy to answer that.

The Xbox One Wireless controller with Bluetooth can be connected to a Windows 10 PC with a USB cable, Bluetooth, or with the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10, so yes, it can be connected via the adapter. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 is not
    compatible with an Xbox 360 controller and will need the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. I'll provide the support articles with this information:

I hope this helps!
  3. gds1972 Win User

xbox one pad compatibility question

Hi

It is not possible to use the Xbox 360 wireless adapter to connect this controller to your PC. This controller looks like it features Bluetooth so you may be able to connect it this way or alternately you can connect it via a USB cable or the wireless adapter.

It may also be possible to purchase the controller and wireless adapter together such as I have linked below.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/d/x..._collection&rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Please note to use the Windows wireless adapter it looks like your PC must be running Windows 10.
  4. ANGELOTECH Win User

xbox one pad compatibility question

Hi

It is not possible to use the Xbox 360 wireless adapter to connect this controller to your PC. This controller looks like it features Bluetooth so you may be able to connect it this way or alternately you can connect it via a USB cable or the wireless adapter.

It may also be possible to purchase the controller and wireless adapter together such as I have linked below.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/d/x..._collection&rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Please note to use the Windows wireless adapter it looks like your PC must be running Windows 10.
    ok thank you very much
  5. s33r Win User

Xbox Elite Controller 2 will not connect VIA usb or Bluetooth to my pc

The original XBox Elite controller requires the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 so without that adapter it will not be recognized properly by Windows. The newer, Elite Series 2 can connect to a Windows 10 PC without the need of an adapter.
  6. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Xbox 360 and Xbox one controller for PC

Many PC games let you play with an Xbox Wireless Controller instead of a keyboard or mouse. You can connect your controller to a Windows PC by using a USB cable, the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows, or over Bluetooth. Some PCs also come with Xbox
    Wireless built in, so you can connect a controller directly without an adapter.
    The Xbox 360 Controller for Windows can be easily installed on any PC that has an available USB port and is running Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7.

For more info:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/connect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-controller-for-windows-setup
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 controller will not connect to Windows 10 Wireless Adapter - Similar Threads - 360 controller connect

2. can you connect a Xbox 360 controller to a chromebook

in XBoX on Consoles
    can you connect a Xbox 360 controller to a chromebook: can you connect a Xbox 360 controller to a chromebook the wireless one but I am wondering if the wireless receiver would work on a chromebook 8d441067-6167-482d-baf5-8c0570ed48b9
  3. recently I've been trying to connect my Xbox 360 controller (I have a cable that connects...

in XBoX on Windows
    recently I've been trying to connect my Xbox 360 controller (I have a cable that connects...: I've tried reading other people's answers on this but I can't seem to work it, I connect it by the cable to to my pc (windows10) and it works (like the Xbox sign in the middle works) and I've...
  4. My Xbox 360 controller isn’t connecting to my Xbox 360 s

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 controller isn’t connecting to my Xbox 360 s: I found my Xbox 360 2 of them it could connect to the original one but it won’t connect to the slim one *Moved from Gaming and Xbox / Hardware and network / Other*...
  5. Can a Xbox X controller connect to a 360 Xbox

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can a Xbox X controller connect to a 360 Xbox: The blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah a3230c55-753a-4666-8503-8ec864fa0f30
  6. Is it possible to connect a Xbox 360 controller to windows 11 for steam gameplay?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to connect a Xbox 360 controller to windows 11 for steam gameplay?: I just need to know where you can install the driver or do people want me to try develop the driver, if I can have some guidelines I believe I can do it with Windows Visual Studio Code and node.js...
  7. Can I use a Xbox 360 controller or something like it and connect it to my Xbox series x

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can I use a Xbox 360 controller or something like it and connect it to my Xbox series x: Can I connect an Xbox 360 controller or something like it to my Xbox series X or possibly use a cord to connect a Xbox 360 controller to the Xbox series X and if that doesn’t work are there...
  8. My Xbox 360 controller isn’t connecting to my Xbox 360 s

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 controller isn’t connecting to my Xbox 360 s: I found my Xbox 360 2 of them it could connect to the original one but it won’t connect to the slim one 79dfaf96-464e-4334-bb20-93d672d6f192
  9. 360 controller not connecting. Other issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 controller not connecting. Other issues: Xbox 360, 2015 version power light green is showing, a drawer won't open, wireless controller is not connecting all other functions are working USB ports hard drive as well I can open with wide...
  10. Xbox-360 S, wireless controller not connecting to console, What should I do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox-360 S, wireless controller not connecting to console, What should I do?: Xbox 360 S console and controller begin the syncing process, but the connection fails and the light becomes static or stops blinking. I have tried using usb contoller, it works, but wireless...