Xbox 360 Controller Giving Wrong USB Descriptor and Hardware Id

Discus and support Xbox 360 Controller Giving Wrong USB Descriptor and Hardware Id in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Red Octane Wired Xbox 360 X-Plorer Guitar Hero Controller (model 95065) which was working normally on Windows 10 and then one day... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by lettucelottery, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Xbox 360 Controller Giving Wrong USB Descriptor and Hardware Id

Hello,

I have a Red Octane Wired Xbox 360 X-Plorer Guitar Hero Controller (model 95065) which was working normally on Windows 10 and then one day Windows Device Manager showed it as "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" even though it is a wired controller. It does not show up under Windows Game Controllers or in any game now. The Player 3 light is always lit up on the controller even though there are no other controllers plugged in.

Debugging:

Device Manager shows the following (which is not correct):

Hardware Ids:

USB\VID_045E&PID_0719&REV_0100 and USB\VID_045E&PID_0719

Compatible Ids:

USB\Class_FF&SubClass_5DProt_81 and USB\Class_FF&SubClass_5D and USB\Class_FF

According to Google, this is in fact the Hardware Id of an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter, but the Red Octane Xplorer Controller should have a Hardware Id of USB\VID_1430&PID_4748 and Compatible Id of USB\MS_COMP_XUSB10 (to tell the driver that it's a wired xbox 360 controller). Since the Hardware Id is wrong and the Compatible Id missing, manually selecting the driver during "Update Driver" is not successful. The result was also the same on a fresh install of Windows 10.

My understanding is that the Hardware Id and the Compatible Ids should be hardcoded on the device firmware so it doesn't make sense that they would change. How is it possible for the controller to be giving a USB Device Descriptor with the wrong vendor id and the wrong product id? Do xbox 360 controllers have multiple usb device descriptors or does Windows overwrite them?

Please let me know if you've had any experience with this or if you have any thoughts? Thanks!

:)

lettucelottery, Nov 18, 2022
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hello lettucelottery,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

Based on your description, you noticed the wrong USB Descriptor and Hardware ID of your Red Octane Wired Xbox 360 X-Plorer Guitar Hero Controller (model 95065). The device you are trying to use is currently not showing in your Windows' Device Manager that is why you have noticed the properties of the controller and how it differs to other users.

According to this support article for developers - USB device descriptors - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn

A device might report different information in its device descriptor when the device is connected to the host computer in a high-speed capacity than when it's connected in a full speed capacity. A device must not change the information contained in the device descriptor during the lifetime of a connection, including during power state changes.

That could mean USB Descriptor depends on what the controller's manufacturer (host) identifiers. Meanwhile, hardware ID should be unique unless the controller's manufacturer has set it to be the same to all devices.

Please ensure to install the device manufacturer's latest update for the controller's driver. Making sure you are using the controller on the system that is applicable for the device's system requirements the manufacturer has set.

In any case, you have concern about the device system requirements and updated driver, please contact the manufacturer of the device for assistance.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. IceStorm III Win User

New Halo 4 wireless controllers plug and play not CHARGING with Pc

I broke out my controller and tried it.

The reason it isn't working is that Microsoft changed the hardware ID on the controller. No matching ID means no driver install. You can see this from Device Manager, under the Details tab on the Unknown device Properties page.

The hardware ID on a working controller is USB\VID_045E&PID_028F&REV_0204

The hardware ID on the Halo 4 LE controller is USB\VID_045E&PID_02CA&REV_0427

For working controllers, I checked an actual controller sold as part of the set including a Windows Gaming Receiver. I also checked one of the controllers that comes with a Modern Warfare 3 console.

For non-working controllers, I checked both the stand-alone Halo 4 LE controller and the ones that come with the Halo 4 console (differnt design). Both come up as the new hardware ID that is unrecognized.
  4. hernandezgma Win User

Xbox series controller not recognized on PC using USB C connection

Hi, I looked for it in the Device Manager, but it doesn´t appear on the human interface device section. It appeared on USB controllers as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Thanks for your fast reply.
  5. Volga-5E42A5A9-B901- Win User

melees when i shoot on Call of Duty MW3

Your Xbox 360 might be using the wrong controls that are coming from your controller. It could be an hardware issue.
  6. 명균안 Win User

XBOX One 무선 컨트롤러 PC 인식 오류 -[Translation - XBOX One wireless controller PC recognition error]

I connected the XBOX ONE wireless controller to my Windows 10 laptop via USB connection, but it is not recognized.

It vibrates when connected, and when you press the X button on the center of the pad, the button lights up, but it is not recognized.

When I went into Device Manager,

Unknown USB device (request device descriptor failed)

in one's character

'The device has stopped because this device has reported a problem. (Code 43)

Request to USB device descriptor failed.'

It says.

+ Drivers are up to date with the latest updates.

How can I use the pad on my PC?
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Controller Giving Wrong USB Descriptor and Hardware Id - Similar Threads - 360 Controller Giving

2. Xbox 360 controller on PC - Awful physical movement to in-game movement translation

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller on PC - Awful physical movement to in-game movement translation: I have recently bought an xbox360 controller and dongle for my PC but the controller is nearly useless due to the translation between the physical movement of the analogue sticks to the in-game...
  3. Xbox 360 controller not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller not working: I'm using the Xbox 360 controller with the Play & Charge Kit, plugged in via a USB 2.0 port. However, despite showing up in Device Manager, nothing happens if I press the logo or try to use it...
  4. Hey I need some help with my xbox 360 controller, because it won't synk into the console...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hey I need some help with my xbox 360 controller, because it won't synk into the console...: Hey I need some help with my xbox 360 controller, because it won't synk into the console and a minute before that it let me synk my other controller f32a4156-18fe-44c4-8f69-1ca1f5d06696
  5. Weird Xbox 360 game inverter controls

in XboX Insiders
    Weird Xbox 360 game inverter controls: So recently I been downloading more 360 games to play and this never happened to me til now. A few games I downloaded, the controls were just inverted by default with no change to the settings at...
  6. Xbox 360 controller does not sync

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller does not sync: I just bought an play & charge kit for my xbox 360 controller, when I plugged it in on my 3.0 and 2.0 usb ports windows reproduces the sound of a new device connected and even shows correctly the...
  7. My PC does not recognize my Xbox 360 Controllers

in XBoX on Consoles
    My PC does not recognize my Xbox 360 Controllers: Hey, maybe someone can help me: I do own two original Xbox 360 controllers, one wired (fully wired, not "plug and charge"), one wireless. Both have previously worked with my PC, but recently...
  8. can you connect a Xbox 360 controller to a chromebook

in XBoX on Consoles
    can you connect a Xbox 360 controller to a chromebook: can you connect a Xbox 360 controller to a chromebook the wireless one but I am wondering if the wireless receiver would work on a chromebook 8d441067-6167-482d-baf5-8c0570ed48b9
  9. I need a new controller, xbox 360 elite...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I need a new controller, xbox 360 elite...: I have a xbox 360 elite console, and it has sat for a bit, but am breaking it back out, it powers on and everything but the controller no longer works. Are there "new" controllers that can be...
  10. how do i play pc games with xbox 360 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    how do i play pc games with xbox 360 controller: how do i play pc games with xbox 360 controller eff96eac-d791-4d15-bf0a-44991cf03387