Xbox 360 2TB External USB Hard Drive Requirements?

Discus and support Xbox 360 2TB External USB Hard Drive Requirements? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to know if there are any minimum requirements for adding an external hard drive to the Xbox 360, apart from: 2 TB Maximum capacity... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Cryofuse, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Cryofuse
    Cryofuse Guest

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any minimum requirements for adding an external hard drive to the Xbox 360, apart from:

• 2 TB Maximum capacity
    • USB 2.0
    I have ordered a Seagate Expansion External 3.5" Desktop 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive and would like to know if it is compatible?
    (For my Xbox ONE I have the 4TB model of the above which works perfectly).

• Does the Xbox 360 support both 2.5" and 3.5" external drives?
    • Does the external hard drive require a power supply?
    • Are USB 3.0 hard drives compatible?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Cryofuse, Jun 8, 2015
  2. External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error

I have an xbox 360 that was running off a 8GB USB thumb drive with NO internal drive.

I just purchased an seagate 2TB external usb game drive for xbox which is compatible with both the xbox one and xbox 360. When I started a game it asks where I want to store the game and I chose the external 2TB drive. I get the error “Device not allowed”.
    “The game only permits installing HD content on the Xbox 360 Hard Drive”. I bought a genuine Xbox USB external drive was expecting it to work seamlessly.

SnobbyOrc179266, Jun 8, 2015
  3. Hard drive options?

Hi there, from major nelson's blog 'Larger external USB hard drives – Plug in any external USB hard drive up to 2 TB to store your Xbox 360 downloads, profile, saved games, and other data'

majornelson.com/.../xbox-360-system-update-now-available-adds-support-for-2tb-hard-drives

It basically says any hard drive up to 2tb so I'd plug in just about any, just be aware that it will format that drive and you will lose any data on there so make sure you don't want anything on there.

Also it will work the same as the 'internal' storage on the machine, so games, saves, profiles, music etc.

DigitalAssassin, Jun 8, 2015
  4. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest

There really aren't any other requirements other than what you listed. However, Seagate hard drives are known to have issues with the 360 so the one you ordered may not work properly.

Smwutches, Jun 8, 2015
  5. Irixion
    Irixion Guest
    Well, enjoy your dead in a few years HDD.

To answer your question, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. So your device reverts to USB 2.0 if you're not connected to a 3.0 port. That being said, Seagate drives are trash and you shouldn't waste your time with them. They also have a lot of compatibility
    issues...like magically becoming unformatted and you losing all your stuff...soo there's that.

Irixion, Oct 31, 2018
  6. RandyAU93 Win User

about the hard drive

Xbox 360 consoles can use USB-powered external hard drives up to 2TB in size.
  7. Obsessive Power Win User

about the hard drive

Hi,

The Internal hdd for the 360 must be a Microsoft branded hard drive - as these drives come in the correct compatible container to install into the hard drive bay.

The 360 also supports external USB hard drives up to 2TB and Flash drives.
  8. Obsessive Power Win User

Can I use a notebook HD on my xbox 360?

Hi,

Not internally no. The Xbox 360 does support external hard drives up to 2TB, so you can take your old PC drive and insert it into a hard drive enclosure and then plug this into the USB port for extra storage.
  9. Irixion Win User

Well, enjoy your dead in a few years HDD.

To answer your question, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. So your device reverts to USB 2.0 if you're not connected to a 3.0 port. That being said, Seagate drives are trash and you shouldn't waste your time with them. They also have a lot of compatibility
    issues...like magically becoming unformatted and you losing all your stuff...soo there's that.
  10. Smwutches Win User

There really aren't any other requirements other than what you listed. However, Seagate hard drives are known to have issues with the 360 so the one you ordered may not work properly.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 2TB External USB Hard Drive Requirements? - Similar Threads - 360 2TB External

2. Bought the Xbox One S 2TB Gears of War Ultimate Edition console bundle and not received 360 ...

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Bought the Xbox One S 2TB Gears of War Ultimate Edition console bundle and not received 360 ...: Bought the Xbox One S 2TB Gears of War Ultimate Edition console bundle and not received Gears of War 360 Collection. I have contacted support multiple times about this issue and I keep being told...
  3. Xbox 360 Gears of War collection codes not received | Xbox One S Gears of War 4 Bundle (2TB)

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Xbox 360 Gears of War collection codes not received | Xbox One S Gears of War 4 Bundle (2TB): I haven't received the codes for Xbox 360 GOW games and it's been more than 7-10 business days now. 2d785151-75c1-456c-a3de-35c34922cfc7
  4. Xbox One S 2tb Gears of War Console Missing 360 Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One S 2tb Gears of War Console Missing 360 Games: Hello Support Team. I reached out to Xbox not to long ago about not receiving the Gears of War 360 Collection. I was told that I would received them and that they come out in waves over Xbox Live....
  5. When can I get the GOW 360 games pack for downloan after getting the Xbox One S 2TB Gears Of ...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    When can I get the GOW 360 games pack for downloan after getting the Xbox One S 2TB Gears Of ...: Hi, I purchased the Xbox One S GOW 4 2 TB edition, and would like to confirm when I will be able to get the other GOW games in the series, as I read that they will be given free for all buyers who...
  6. What happen if I connect a hard drive bigger than 2tb to the xbox 360?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What happen if I connect a hard drive bigger than 2tb to the xbox 360?: Hi! I just want to know what happen if I connect a hard drive bigger than 2tb to the xbox 360, before I purchase one. Thank you very much! 86e4a535-e191-49a5-84a4-ff4c557ba5cb
  7. How to make 2TB in USB Flash disk (XBOX 360 S)

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to make 2TB in USB Flash disk (XBOX 360 S): Dear all, help me, please. I can´t make 2TB in my USB Flash disk. I have 32GB flash and I would like to format it into 2TB. Please, can you write me the instructions? Thanks. Milan...
  8. External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error: I have an xbox 360 that was running off a 8GB USB thumb drive with NO internal drive. I just purchased an seagate 2TB external usb game drive for xbox which is compatible with both the xbox one...
  9. Can I make my 360's 2TB External HDD its System Drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I make my 360's 2TB External HDD its System Drive?: is it possible to make my 2TB external HDD the "system drive" for my xbox 360? thanks 3e2d45c7-0891-42b0-ad22-5fcfc059efdb
  10. Subject : 2TB hard drive for xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Subject : 2TB hard drive for xbox 360: I've updated my Xbox 360 and want to use a 2 Tb external hdd but the system won't format the drive. I've tried formating it on my lap of no problem. I've tried formating it on my Xbox one no...