Witcher 3 Save files gone after upgrading to Windows 11

Discus and support Witcher 3 Save files gone after upgrading to Windows 11 in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I recently decided to update my computer to Windows 11 from 10 since I heard that all the issues it had previously when it first released were patched... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Levi Siegel, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Levi Siegel
    Levi Siegel Guest

I recently decided to update my computer to Windows 11 from 10 since I heard that all the issues it had previously when it first released were patched up. Low and behold, updating completely wiped my local saves from the computer? I searched the save files directory and there was nothing there except "steam_autocloud.vdf". I thought maybe I had them up in the cloud since this was all that was in there, but it turns out I never enabled cloud syncing since Steam cloud can be unreliable. I double checked anyways and they are not in the cloud. So they were definitely stored locally and now they're gone.

The solution I've tried so far was to scan the hard drive with a software called Recuva which searches for and recovers deleted files. But it never showed up. Does anyone have suggestions or a solution? Or is it just gone forever? And why would updating cause this?

:)

Levi Siegel, Dec 25, 2023
  2. Jhonkito Win User

Hi, Levi my name is Jhon, and will be a pleasure help you

I'm sorry to hear about your lost Witcher 3 save files. While it's frustrating, Based on my experience here are a few potential avenues to explore:

Previous Windows Installation:

Windows.old Folder: If you didn't perform a clean installation of Windows 11, the old save files might still be in the Windows.old folder on your primary drive.
    Access Previous Files: You can access the Windows.old folder and copy the saves back to their original location in Windows 11.

System Restore:

Restore Point: If you created a system restore point before upgrading to Windows 11, you could try restoring your system to that point to potentially recover the lost saves.

Proceed with Caution: Be aware that system restore can revert other system changes as well.

Cloud Syncing (Long Shot):

Double-Check Steam Cloud: Even if you didn't enable it manually, sometimes

Steam Cloud can automatically sync saves. It's worth checking again within Steam's settings.

Check GOG Galaxy: If you purchased the game through GOG, GOG Galaxy might have cloud save functionality as well.
    Additional Tips:

Prevention: In the future, consider enabling cloud saves or manually backing up your save files regularly to avoid such situations.

I hope the information I gave you has been useful, have a happy day.
  3. Mouse1433 Win User

Thanks for the suggestions, I never considered looking into the windows.old folder. Sadly they aren't where they're supposed to be though. Nothing again on the cloud. I guess they're gone for good. Definitely going to have to back up my saves
  4. Mouse1433 Win User

Hey Jhon thanks for the tip. I scoured through my windows old folder and still didn't find anything. However in that link you posted I noticed that there's a way to see what the steam cloud has been up to. It looks like that the saves were in fact saved to the cloud. But for some reason when I was updating the computer, it decided to delete all of my saves. Take a look. The list of saves it "Deleted" or "Forgot" goes for miles.

[​IMG]
  5. Jhonkito Win User

https://help.steampowered.com/faqs/view/68D2-35AB-09A9-7678
    Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
  6. Jhonkito Win User

Hi again Levi

Most likely, they have disappeared forever. But before giving up, make sure you have searched the windows.old folder carefully.

and look for the following folder which is the location of the locally saved steam files: Program Files\Steam\userdata\[steamID]\7\

Source of information:
    https://help.steampowered.com/faqs/view/68D2-35AB-09A9-7678

According to my research and that source of information, the local files are stored there.

I really hope that if you manage to recover your games, I know how frustrating it can be.

Merry christmas
Thema:

1. Witcher 3 Save files gone after upgrading to Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Witcher Save files

2. How do I get suspended for clipping a cutscene off Witcher 3

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I get suspended for clipping a cutscene off Witcher 3: Unreal there is no way my case was reviewed thoroughly 45977854-67f9-4cd2-93fc-3dc7c0526bf6
  3. Hello xbox. Iam trying to download the witcher 3 but he tells me something went wrong....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hello xbox. Iam trying to download the witcher 3 but he tells me something went wrong....: Hello xbox. Iam trying to download the witcher 3 but he tells me something went wrong. It dosent happen with other game just with the witcher ffc32eaf-3fe0-49a0-a833-adc0f22ba0e2
  4. Lost game save data on the Witcher 3.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Lost game save data on the Witcher 3.: So I got the message that there wasn’t enough space to save any more games on the Witcher 3. So I deleted the local data and rebooted. When I rebooted and it synced my cloud data, the last save...
  5. Witcher 3 save will not load.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Witcher 3 save will not load.: I purchased Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY edition. My save from the Game Pass version will not load. e67e1b1c-50a2-4f3b-84dd-f46faa2b2bb8
  6. The Witcher 3 save files

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The Witcher 3 save files: I downloaded The Witcher 3 from Game Pass and then decided to buy the full Game of the Year edition because it went on sale, but my save files did not transfer over. Is there any way to access my...
  7. Game Pass - Witcher 3 & save games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game Pass - Witcher 3 & save games: I am loving this but playing it very slowly. I am worried MS is going to take it off Xbox Game Pass and I will lose all progress Could I buy the game on disc and would the same save games work?...
  8. Witcher 2 save thumbnail glitch on XB1X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Witcher 2 save thumbnail glitch on XB1X: i have the original dvd version of the Witcher 2 EE. i installed it on my recently purchased xbox one x. I noticed a small glitch which although doesn't affect the game it still concerns me....
  9. Witcher 2 digital copy corrupt save files on XBOne

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Witcher 2 digital copy corrupt save files on XBOne: Hi, I've downloaded Witcher 2 through the recent promo, and played about 15 hours to the second half of game. On loading the game tonight, it presents Gamma screen, then "The storage device...
  10. Witcher 3: several save game slots don't work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Witcher 3: several save game slots don't work: I have the digital download version of Witcher 3. When I try to load all but one or two of my saved games, the game starts to load it up but when it has about 1/5 of the way left to go I am...