Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in

Discus and support Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in. I have been having problems with my Xbox one wireless... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Terrance Jones1, May 5, 2023.

1. Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in

Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in.

I have been having problems with my Xbox one wireless controller and the external hard drive. I have figured (out after a long and painful process) that when the EHD is plugged in, the wireless controller will not work. It will turn on but will not interact with the Xbox. I have restarted it numerous times, unplugged it, done a hard reset where it has updated and i have logged back in (currently using my xbox glass on my phone) and i have done this over the last 2 days. I then reset it whilst the EHD was unplugged and this seemed to fix the problem of the controller not interacting with the xbox. However as soon as i plus it back in the controller stops working. This is extremely annoying as I cannot play any of my games, and at this moment in time i cannot afford a new hard drive, though if i were to get a new one i would lose a serious amount of games and data saved to my original one. Has anyone experienced this before and managed to get it sorted or is this something unfixable?????

:)

Terrance Jones1, May 5, 2023
  2. TheDoctor25991 Win User

Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in.

Thank you for your quick response, however, this has never happened in the 6 years that i have had both the Xbox and external hard drive. They have been in the exact same position for those 6 years, and the problem only arose when my fiancee moved the
    Xbox to clean around the unit.
  3. Ronnieee Win User

Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in

Hi there! This is Ronnie, an independent advisor.

Nice to meet you and I hope you are having a great day!

I understand you need help on your Xbox console having issues.

It seems to be a hard drive problem since it only happens when it is plugged in but I would still suggest checking to see if it works on a different hard drive or if the issue is still the same because it could also be an Xbox issue, like it's firmware.

Anyway, your games being saved to your hard drive can still be downloaded again since they are all saved to cloud and to your account. It will take time but you will still get your saves and games back in case you need a new hard drive.
  4. XBF Javier R Win User

Hello Doctor,

We thank you for bringing this inquiry to our forums community, and understand that this concerns an inability to connect your Xbox One controller to your Xbox One console while an external hard drive is plugged in.

If unplugging the external hard drive has assisted with resolving the connection issue regarding your controller, the cause may be due to wireless interference from the external hard drive. Our suggestion here, please attempt following our
    troubleshoot your Xbox One wireless controller support article.

Try this out for us and then let us know the results.

Best wishes!
  5. JTL1E Win User

this could also be a issue because the hard drive might be blocking the RF reciver for the xbox?
  6. JayForeman Win User

Network no longer works

Here is a relevant note from the known issues summary, I hope you find it useful

Wireless Networking:

You may encounter a “wireless network hardware on this console is not working” error when connecting to Xbox Live with a wireless connection.

Your Xbox One console may be unable to detect a wireless connection while an external hard drive is plugged in. Workaround: Unplug the external hard drive, hard reset the console, connect to WiFi, then connect the external hard driv
Thema:

1. Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in - Similar Threads - Wireless controller won't

2. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  3. Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?: We got a new Xbox Series S back in February and the controller that came with it was working very well.. Until recently. For some reason, the controller now won't turn on instantly and no matter...
  4. Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC: Hello, my Xbox Series X Wireless Controller recently started only charging up to 15% when I plug it into my PC. I do not own an actual console to troubleshoot on there. Additionally, the...
  5. New Xbox wireless controller won't connect to my Windows 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox wireless controller won't connect to my Windows 10: Few days ago I got a new Xbox wireless controller, I've connected it to one Windows 10 laptop and it worked perfectly. Few days later I tried connecting it to another Windows 10 laptop and it...
  6. Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core won't connect via bluetooth on PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core won't connect via bluetooth on PC: I just bought an Xbox Elite Wireless Gaming Controller Series 2 Core for my PC use. The Bluetooth works fine at the beginning. But the Xbox bar shows up whenever I push the A button. So I...
  7. Xbox Wireless Controller won't connect to PC Game Pass

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller won't connect to PC Game Pass: Today when I went to turn on my PC and open up gamepass, I was shown a small alert that said "No controller is connected" last night I had used the same controller without any issue but this...
  8. Xbox controller won't connect to wireless Adapter on PC.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller won't connect to wireless Adapter on PC.: I've been using a Xbox controller with a wireless adapter on my PC for about two years with no problems. Yesterday while playing a game my batteries ran out like they have many times before, Since...
  9. XBOX one wireless controller won't connect no matter what

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX one wireless controller won't connect no matter what: so i have two xbox one wireless controllers that im trying to connect to my windows 11 PC, and the first one (an xbox one s controller) connects just fine through bluetooth, however the second...
  10. My Wireless Xbox Controller won't connect when playing a game on Cloud gaming

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Wireless Xbox Controller won't connect when playing a game on Cloud gaming: My Wireless Xbox Controller connects to my MacBook via Bluetooth and through that I play on Xbox cloud gaming, but recently I connect my controller to my MacBook and when I start the game the game...