Wired connection via a switch. "Can't connect to your DHCP Server"

Discus and support Wired connection via a switch. "Can't connect to your DHCP Server" in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post. So here is my current setup: Coax cable from the wall -> modem -> switch -> one wire goes to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DoomWad, Feb 14, 2017.

1. DoomWad
    DoomWad Guest

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post. So here is my current setup:

Coax cable from the wall -> modem -> switch -> one wire goes to my router, the other goes to my Xbox.

Connecting the Xbox through the router is not an option, as I have a unique situation to get everything connected to the internet. When I go to test my wired connection, it says "can't connect to your DHCP server". I go through the troubleshooting steps,
    but nothing works. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Adam

:)

DoomWad, Feb 14, 2017
  2. SP Rhino
    SP Rhino Guest
    Nat Help Please

Xbox now using wired connection and now message says cannot connect to your dhcp server ??????

SP Rhino, Feb 14, 2017
  3. TWUK
    TWUK Guest
    No DHCP via wireless but OK wired

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a weird problem I have.

I've got an "old" Xbox One with a wired connection that works faultlessly. Yesterday I bought a 2nd Xbox One but because this one is going in a bedroom, it has a wireless connection. From the get-go, the wireless connection was flaky. My SSID shows every
    time, and the WPA2 password is accepted, but I get an error "Can't connect to DHCP server". I have about half a dozen wired connections running fine from my DHCP server and another half dozen wireless connections, but the new Xbox just won't accept an IP address.
    In desperation, I switched the DHCP server from my router to my NAS, and again everything would work apart from the new, wireless Xbox One. Eventually I grabbed a 10 metre Cat5 cable and connected the Xbox wired straight to the router. Lo and behold, it connects
    fine to the original DHCP server and all tests run fine. Unplugging the cable and dropping back to wireless, again it sees the SSID, accepts the password but won't communicate with the DHCP server. I checked the DHCP table on the router and it does allocate
    an IP address to the Xbox, wired or wireless, so for some reason the Xbox just isn't seeing it. I should add that this new Xbox is replacing an Xbox 360 in the same location, and the 360 used wireless and never had a problem with DHCP. It does seem to be One-specific.

For now, I'll leave the Xbox wired, but I thought I'd report this in case something got a bit *** up with the wireless code in a recent update. If I didn't have the reluctant fallback to a wired connection, I'd be really *** now.

Does anyone have any idea why the Xbox might fail to communicate with a DHCP server wirelessly, but work 100% wired to the very same router???

4. taidara
    taidara Guest

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reaching out to Xbox forums with your request.

Appreciate if you could post up the make and model of your modem, along with the make and model of your switch.

If you were to take the Ethernet cable, that feeds from your switch and into your console, and connect this cable into your PC/Mac machine, is your PC/Mac then able to obtain IP information from the DHCP server?

taidara, Feb 14, 2017
  5. DoomWad
    DoomWad Guest
    The switch is a Linksys SE1500, and the modem is a Motorola surfboard SB6121. It did cross my mind to test the switch by plugging it into a computer to see if it works, but the laptops in my house are all relatively new, and don't have ports for network
    cables. I don't know if it matters, but the wire that goes from the switch to the router seems to be acting just fine (i.e. I have wireless internet).

DoomWad, Feb 14, 2017
  6. taidara
    taidara Guest
    May I suggest a minor adjustment, to make your setup correspond to how you usually deploy router and switch into a network.

May I also suggest that, for reference, you post up the make and model of your wireless router.

Connect, with a Cat5e or Cat6 cable, from the LAN port on your cable modem and into the WAN port on your wireless router.

Connect from one of the LAN ports on your wireless router to your switch (Linksys SE1500). Since the SE1500 only support speeds up to 100 Mbit/s, it's preferable to use Cat5e. That is, if you haven't already connected your devices with Cat6.

You can now make the choice, where to connect your console (wired), with two options. Either trough the switch, or directly wired into your wireless router.

Let me know how that goes and we'll work from there.

taidara, Feb 15, 2017
  7. taidara
    taidara Guest
    Your Xbox should receive an DHCP offer from the DHCP server on your wireless router, but I suspect that the only connection between your switch and your wireless router goes into the WAN port of your router, correct? If so, there will be no subsequent traffic
    from the DHCP server on your router. Only the initial messages from your console, being a discovery broadcast message, but no response from the DHCP server, being on the wrong interface.

taidara, Oct 31, 2018
  8. DoomWad Win User

Hi Adam,

Appreciate if you could post up the make and model of your modem, along with the make and model of your switch.

If you were to take the Ethernet cable, that feeds from your switch and into your console, and connect this cable into your PC/Mac machine, is your PC/Mac then able to obtain IP information from the DHCP server?
    The switch is a Linksys SE1500, and the modem is a Motorola surfboard SB6121. It did cross my mind to test the switch by plugging it into a computer to see if it works, but the laptops in my house are all relatively new, and don't have ports for network
    cables. I don't know if it matters, but the wire that goes from the switch to the router seems to be acting just fine (i.e. I have wireless internet).
  9. taidara Win User

May I suggest a minor adjustment, to make your setup correspond to how you usually deploy router and switch into a network.

May I also suggest that, for reference, you post up the make and model of your wireless router.

Connect, with a Cat5e or Cat6 cable, from the LAN port on your cable modem and into the WAN port on your wireless router.

Connect from one of the LAN ports on your wireless router to your switch (Linksys SE1500). Since the SE1500 only support speeds up to 100 Mbit/s, it's preferable to use Cat5e. That is, if you haven't already connected your devices with Cat6.

You can now make the choice, where to connect your console (wired), with two options. Either trough the switch, or directly wired into your wireless router.

Let me know how that goes and we'll work from there.
  10. taidara Win User

Your Xbox should receive an DHCP offer from the DHCP server on your wireless router, but I suspect that the only connection between your switch and your wireless router goes into the WAN port of your router, correct? If so, there will be no subsequent traffic
    from the DHCP server on your router. Only the initial messages from your console, being a discovery broadcast message, but no response from the DHCP server, being on the wrong interface.
  11. taidara Win User

Hi Adam,

12. SP Rhino Win User

Nat Help Please

Xbox now using wired connection and now message says cannot connect to your dhcp server ??????
Thema:

1. Wired connection via a switch. "Can't connect to your DHCP Server" - Similar Threads - Wired connection via

2. How do I connect a Xbox 1 (Wired) to Windows Vista?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I connect a Xbox 1 (Wired) to Windows Vista?: I've tried many links, but they don't work, and the videos that I watched told me to install a driver to get it to work, If you have any working links please tell me!...
  3. Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...: I cannot use the accessories app for my elite series 2 controller on PC. Says use wired connection but it's already plugged in how do I fix this db14f4d0-0b14-4148-a926-845124931b8c
  4. Wired connection issue on Xbox X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wired connection issue on Xbox X: Hi. My Xbox x is showing a wired connection plugged in. There is no wire connection as I only use wifi. Xbox stuck on check wired connection. This happened after a power failure in the...
  5. My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.: I've been trying to connect my Xbox controller to my pc via bluethooth but it won't appear in the bluethooth area, I tried updating the drivers, updating the controller through the Xbox...
  6. Original Xbox one (2014) internet issues even with wired connection

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Xbox one (2014) internet issues even with wired connection: I have had this Xbox one since 2014 and recently (last few months) have experienced some issues with its internet. I have exclusively used it with a wired, ethernet connection and have been having...
  7. Xbox states theres a wired connection, but no cable connected.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox states theres a wired connection, but no cable connected.: Hi, My Xbox recently has been playing up and continues to state network connected via cable, but I've always used wireless. I have done a soft and hard reboot, this didn't work. I also...
  8. does the Logitech h304 headset (wired usb) connect to xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    does the Logitech h304 headset (wired usb) connect to xbox one: does the Logitech h304 headset (wired usb) connect to xbox one 8651d522-0d08-4052-844b-2c460752a254
  9. Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2: Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Unable to Connect to PC The Issue When wired in using the USB-C cable that came with the brand-new controller, the Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 is not...
  10. My PC does not connect to my controller via wire

in XBoX on Consoles
    My PC does not connect to my controller via wire: When i connect my controller to my wire it keeps blinking and then it turns off i already contacted xbox support but the issue is not with my controller so i would really appreciate some help...