wired connection causing higher ping/ms than wireless on fortnite and other games

Discus and support wired connection causing higher ping/ms than wireless on fortnite and other games in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; hi , does anyone know or have any pointers to help me out with my ms in games when i am playing wired connection via tp links cat-5e cables on both on... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JoshConnolly05, Jul 24, 2023.

1. wired connection causing higher ping/ms than wireless on fortnite and other games

hi , does anyone know or have any pointers to help me out with my ms in games when i am playing wired connection via tp links cat-5e cables on both on fortnite for instance which is a game based of ms/ping i received upwards of 40 ping and is very inconsistent when i test my connection i have high up and download speeds and my xbox ms is 20 ish but when playing my ping will always spike or constantly stay high whereas when i play wireless even though my connection strength is only 88%i have 8ms and my ping is low 0-10 but will spike to 150 from time to time , i have opened port on my router tested each port provided by xbox and used it when opening ports but nothing seems to work id happily play wireless if the up and download speeds where the same as my wired speeds , to conclude im just looking for any options or new things to try to fix my wired connection to reduce my ms in game

also i have tried all setting in advanced options going from manual to automatic tired numerous mac address , dns settings and ports changes to fix this. Also , all of this is only when playing fn creative mode as in game seems to be okay , unlike apex where i get 150ms wired

stats

wired 3074 port , ipv4&ipv6

fortnite - 40ms

xbox - 31ms

download - 128.27mbps

upload - 62.26mbps

packet loss - 0

MTU - 1480

wireless 2.4ghz. 3074 port , ipv4&ipv6

fortnite - 9ms

xbox - 198ms

download - 44.63mbps

upload - 26.55mbps

packet loss - 0

MTU - 1480

wireless strength - 92

both QoS settings are enabled on both

:)

JoshConnolly05, Jul 24, 2023
  2. Janet_C Win User

wired connection causing higher ping/ms than wireless on fortnite and other games

Hello!

I'm a Independent Advisor. I will be glad to help you.

If you already have all the ports used by Xbox Live open, be sure to open the different ports that each game can use.

Also check to see if the same thing is happening with another cable, there is a possibility that a twisted pair in the cable is damaged.

Also test what happens when you disable QoS, as this can cause problems in some LAN environments.

Best regards
  3. Malacath Win User

Ping / latency from UK 170 ms with wired broadband connection 12 Mbps d/l and 1 Mbps u/l

You don't say if you are using wired or wireless.

Your brothers stats look like he is using a wired connection which would explain his COD being less laggy.

If your connection is wireless then that is very unreliable. Wireless can cause slower speeds, packet loss, higher pings and lag.

From personal experience I have found BT hubs have terrible wireless.

I have had a homehub 2, homehub 3 and now a homehub 5. All of them had crap wireless. Speed are a lot slower via wifi than they are when wired. Also I get more packet loss and the ping is a bit higher.

If you are using wireless then you should try using wired to see if that makes a difference.
  4. Paul1119021iu4190241 Win User

I can't get a fair game because of the lag compensation

I should probably run wireless, I have always wired my connection because it's better for gaming, or gaming not named Call of Doodoo. I bet going wireless would give me higher ping and then I would probably do better.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Please help with ping/latency on Xbox

Hi,

The speed test is just a general test to the Microsoft server. The fact that it's higher (potentially a lot higher) than the ping you get from an internet speed test site should be of no real concern. Do you suffer lag in online games?

I can't explain why it's higher now than what why it was before. It maybe that the location of the test server is now further away than what it was before. The 'ping' measured in milliseconds (ms) is more about distance than speed.

No matter how good and how fast your internet connection is, connecting to a server hundreds of miles away from your location will always get a higher ping than one from a few miles away.

That does not mean that a high ping on the test means that you'll now have a high ping when playing online. Most gaming services you use to play with others online on Xbox Live are not even run by Microsoft. For example, all of EA's online games run off EA servers.
  6. SGT SADLER Win User

lag on xbox live duplicate ping?

Wireless is the issue i changed to cable Cat5 cable and haven't had 1 issue since, party works without a issue and so does multiplayer i think they need to do tests on our wi fi connections as it seems to lose signal and gets slight packet loss causing us
    issues,when i was on wireless i would only get about 60mbdps with 324 ms ping now with the wired connection i'm getting the full speed of my Cable at 109mbdps and 317 ms ping so i gained 5ms of ping and its not dropping out ever well it's only been 4 days
    but that is the longest my box has worked no issues.
Thema:

1. wired connection causing higher ping/ms than wireless on fortnite and other games - Similar Threads - wired connection causing

2. Wireless and wired connections fail on Xbox (Series X/S)

in XboX Insiders
    Wireless and wired connections fail on Xbox (Series X/S): About 6 months ago, my Xbox became unable to connect to the internet wirelessly. I’ve been using an Ethernet cable to connect the Xbox to the internet since then. Today, my Xbox lost connection in...
  3. Why isn't my headest connecting to my Xbox via wireless and wire

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my headest connecting to my Xbox via wireless and wire: I have an Xbox series s and captian 4000 headset and they won't connect when I try either method in the manual. I looked at the website and didn't find any help 9350bd46-4486-4548-b876-4ec72cd1bde3
  4. How do I connect a Xbox 1 (Wired) to Windows Vista?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I connect a Xbox 1 (Wired) to Windows Vista?: I've tried many links, but they don't work, and the videos that I watched told me to install a driver to get it to work, If you have any working links please tell me!...
  5. Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...: I cannot use the accessories app for my elite series 2 controller on PC. Says use wired connection but it's already plugged in how do I fix this db14f4d0-0b14-4148-a926-845124931b8c
  6. Wired connection issue on Xbox X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wired connection issue on Xbox X: Hi. My Xbox x is showing a wired connection plugged in. There is no wire connection as I only use wifi. Xbox stuck on check wired connection. This happened after a power failure in the...
  7. My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.: I've been trying to connect my Xbox controller to my pc via bluethooth but it won't appear in the bluethooth area, I tried updating the drivers, updating the controller through the Xbox...
  8. Original Xbox one (2014) internet issues even with wired connection

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Xbox one (2014) internet issues even with wired connection: I have had this Xbox one since 2014 and recently (last few months) have experienced some issues with its internet. I have exclusively used it with a wired, ethernet connection and have been having...
  9. Xbox states theres a wired connection, but no cable connected.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox states theres a wired connection, but no cable connected.: Hi, My Xbox recently has been playing up and continues to state network connected via cable, but I've always used wireless. I have done a soft and hard reboot, this didn't work. I also...
  10. When plugging my XBox Series X into a wired ethernet connection, it causes my internet to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When plugging my XBox Series X into a wired ethernet connection, it causes my internet to...: I got a new XBox Series X for Christmas, plugged it into my wired ethernet connection (the same one I was using for my PS4 console with no issues), and shortly after I did this I noticed my...