Windows cannot access the specified device when trying to open Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox App

Discus and support Windows cannot access the specified device when trying to open Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox App in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I've recently just purchased FH5 and installed it on my main drive. When I go to press PLAY on the Xbox app the game doesn't open and I get this... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by forzahat3r, Oct 14, 2022.

1. forzahat3r
    forzahat3r Guest

Windows cannot access the specified device when trying to open Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox App

I've recently just purchased FH5 and installed it on my main drive. When I go to press PLAY on the Xbox app the game doesn't open and I get this message.

Windows cannot access the specified device when trying to open Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox App [​IMG]

Ive tried reinstalling it multiple times on different drives and also tried to run it as admin.

:)

forzahat3r, Oct 14, 2022
  2. Georges C. Win User

Hello again, try to perform the procedures below.

DEFRAG

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/def...

Using System File Checker in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/usi...

chkdsk

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

1 - Type cmd (Command Prompt) in the search bar of the Start menu and then click Run as administrator.

2 - Enter chkdsk /f/x/r/v

Being in use the system will ask if the user wants to check the chosen drive after reboot. Just type S and restart the computer.
  3. forzahat3r Win User

All of my software is currently up to date. I tried it again and I still get the same messages.
  4. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Forzahat3r, have you checked if you have the latest version of Windows installed, at 21H2.

See which version of Windows 10 you have

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/see...

have-12d35019-4da9-0cb1-ba47-f8b031b712ad

Updates are often seen as optional.

If you haven't updated yet, click the link below, update, and make all subsequent security updates.

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Download Windows 11

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Also, make sure all Xbox Apps are up to date in the store, and make sure you have the Xbox Companion App installed, it works with the Xbox App.
  5. acfranco Win User

Forza Horizon 5 on PC game pass crashes on launch - issue with permissions?

Hi Josef

Thanks very much for the reply. Forza 5 is installed on C: but not under the WindowsApps folder.

I followed your steps and tried again, but it didn't solve the problem. Nothing happens when I try to run Forza 5 from the Xbox app. In the Event Viewer I get the same error message as above. When I go to C:\XboxGames\Forza Horizon 5\Content and run ForzaHorizon5.exe I get a message saying: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Not sure if that is normal though?

When I run gamelaunchhelper.exe in the same folder as administrator, it opens the Forza 5 launch window, but then crashes while launching... Same permissions issue for source DistributedCom as above, with application error for ForzaHorizon5.exe.

Worth mentioning perhaps, that in one of my previous re-install attempts, I could get into the game after moving files to another drive. But then got an infinite loading screen at the xbox controller and could never go in game. When trying to move the game to a different drive now, the xbox app gives me error code 0x87e00196.

Thanks in advance.
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

I have a game that is Unistalled called forza Horizon 5 but its still here?

And you're not able to see it too after opening Windows settings > apps and features and look for Forza Horizon 5?

Also, not in the Xbox app?

If that's the case, could you try reinstalling it via Xbox app to see if the process starts?
Thema:

1. Windows cannot access the specified device when trying to open Forza Horizon 5 on the Xbox App - Similar Threads - Windows cannot access

2. I cannot access xbox networking and xbox console companion in Windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    I cannot access xbox networking and xbox console companion in Windows 11: I installed Windows 11 recently, and was enjoying Forza Horizon 5 and one day i couldn't access online to play with friends. I reinstalled xbox and whole game but it wasn't fixed. I searched for...
  3. Windows 11 Xbox Controller cannot disable taking screenshots

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows 11 Xbox Controller cannot disable taking screenshots: I cannot find the setting to disable the functionality of the Xbox controller taking a screenshot when I press the button. I use that button for steam screenshots so it is very annoying that a...
  4. I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message: We weren't able to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message: We weren't able to...: I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message from Windows 11: "We weren't able to install the app (0x80073CF6)" 31635452-d5bb-429e-a940-28a80cf9fb78
  5. Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, or File" Error When You Try to Install,...

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, or File" Error When You Try to Install,...: Ok so I was playing Fortnite and for a while I got off to take a break, 3hrs later I return (nothing has changed) and when I launch I get the issue in the title. I have tried literally everything...
  6. Cannot sign in to Xbox app (PC), sign in window immediately closes itself

in XboX Insiders
    Cannot sign in to Xbox app (PC), sign in window immediately closes itself: So when I try to sign in, the sign in window opens and then closes almost immediately. I saw a post on this sub from someone with the same problem from a couple years ago, and their solution was...
  7. [Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller...

in XBoX on Consoles
    [Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller...: I am creating this question because my previous question was closed due to inactivity. Please read this linked post for context on this issue:...
  8. Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB: Context I have two dualshock 2 game controllers that I connect to my system using DS2/USB adapters. I have used one of these controllers for a while with no issues. Recently, the controller broke...
  9. Cannot sign into anything xbox/windows related such as the xbox app and where the issue...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot sign into anything xbox/windows related such as the xbox app and where the issue...: Error Code: 0x80004005 code: Eroded Badlands. A file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing. Please reboot, verify system permissions, and make sure your...
  10. Xbox error "windows cannot access the specified device Error while trying to open games"

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox error "windows cannot access the specified device Error while trying to open games": Hello sir, i can't play games at xbox windows and get notification error : Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the...