Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

Discus and support Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Context I have two dualshock 2 game controllers that I connect to my system using DS2/USB adapters. I have used one of these controllers for a while... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ryan Gehrlein, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

Context

I have two dualshock 2 game controllers that I connect to my system using DS2/USB adapters. I have used one of these controllers for a while with no issues. Recently, the controller broke due to a hardware issue (button broke). I am not able to fix it at the moment, and so I want to switch to my other identical dualshock 2 game controller in the meantime.

The Problem

I was able to get this new controller working after uninstalling the previous controller from my system through the Device Manager. I used it for a couple of days, when one day the controller suddenly stopped working. What I found after a lot of testing is that my system is able to recognize this controller exactly as it had recognized the previous controller. However, it just fails to read any input, no matter what I try. I want to allow my system to read inputs from this controller properly.

Troubleshooting

• I have tested this controller with a separate Playstation 2 console and it works fine there, so the controller itself has no issues sending input.
    • I have tested my DS2/USB adapters using the previous broken controller and found that it works with no issue, so the adapters have no issues sending input.
    • The device appears in the Device Manager, and is recognized by every single game I have tried testing it with as well as this gamepad testing website https://hardwaretester.com/gamepad.
    • In the device manager, no problems are visible (status says "This device is working properly.").
    • In Windows game controller settings, testing the inputs there yields no results.
    • Windows Troubleshooter doesn't help.
    • Many system restarts and device restarts have not helped.
    • I use a set of third-party drivers that are part of DsHidMini. All of the issues I've described happen either with these drivers installed or with them completely removed from my system (with various system restarts). My previous controller also worked with or without these drivers.
    • I have used the System File Checker to repair corrupted drivers and files
    • I have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB root hub drivers
    Signs point to the controller being the issue, but I can't see how that could be seeing as the controller works fine on a separate console. I am wondering whether the fact that these two controllers are identical could be part of the issue.

Any help in troubleshooting further would be appreciated Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB :) I will include screenshots of various device properties, as well as screenshots of errors that may be related to this.

Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB [​IMG]

Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB [​IMG]

:)

Ryan Gehrlein, Dec 29, 2023
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

Hello Ryan Gehrlein,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Ryan Gehrlein,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It seems that you are having issue with the similar controller connected in your device after replacing the damaged controller. Let us check and see on what we can do to help resolve your concern in a timely manner.

It is possible that the new controller is not compatible or needs to install the updated driver from the manufacturer's support website of your controller. Let us check it though by providing the necessary steps on how to reach them.

Before we proceed any further, we would like to ask few questions to help us isolate the issue further.

1. Can you tell us the make and model of the controller that is not working?

2. Have you reach out to the manufacturer's support site of your controller to check for available driver updates of your controller?

3. Have you tried different controller other than the controller that is having an issue to check if that specific controller is a problem?

For the meantime, we recommend contacting the manufacturer of your controller to check if there is available driver updates so we can install it in your device or you may visit the manufacturer's support website to check .

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. Jhonkito Win User

[Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

Hi Ryan, my name is Jhon, and will be a pleasure help you

I'll ask you a question before, have you already tried the driver on another PC and the same thing happens to you?

Best regards
    Jhon
  5. Ryan Gehrlein Win User

[Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

Thanks for looking into the issue for me. Let's release the question and see if someone else knows more.
  6. Jhonkito Win User

Hello again

It's a shame that I was searching a lot for the error to solve your problem and I didn't find anything that could help you, I don't have solutions for this type of problem, at this point we can do two things.

1. I release your question and let a more qualified expert than me take your question and try to solve it.

2. I help you go to support so that their experts can guide you in a pleasant way to your problem and you can solve it.

Which one do you choose?
Thema:

1. Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB - Similar Threads - Windows recognizes cannot

2. My keyboard doesn't work on minecraft bedrock on windows 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    My keyboard doesn't work on minecraft bedrock on windows 10: It doesn't search on xbox and search bar either 385e9ce1-294e-4976-bfe9-6256c1cc3c49
  3. I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…

in XBoX on Windows
    I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…: I am thinking of using my External HDD that is currently formatted for my Xbox One with my Windows PC. I know the steps of going on disk management and creating a new volume but I was also...
  4. My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.: I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and Windows 11. When I plug in the controller it says "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows...
  5. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth: Split from this thread. Seems like I have a similar issue with a normal Series X controller but I'm not sure entirely : Recently an update caused the share button to stop working on Windows...
  6. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth: Out of the box I connected my Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller via Bluetooth to my Windows 11 PC. It was detected as an elite controller. During gameplay I found that some button combinations would...
  7. [Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller...

in XBoX on Consoles
    [Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller...: I am creating this question because my previous question was closed due to inactivity. Please read this linked post for context on this issue:...
  8. Windows Mixed Reality not recognizing my USB-C V3.1 ports during system check | HP Reverb G2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows Mixed Reality not recognizing my USB-C V3.1 ports during system check | HP Reverb G2: I'm having an issue with WMR saying my PC doesn't have USB 3.0+ ports being used to support the headset. I plugging my device dongle into both a V3.1 and 3.2 USB-C port and WMR won't go past the...
  9. how do i disable windows recognizing xbox 360 controller as xbox 360 controller

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how do i disable windows recognizing xbox 360 controller as xbox 360 controller: actually the problem is i have a ps3 controller that i have been trying to connect but the controller keeps being recognized as xbox360 controller. i tried disabling device signature enforcement...
  10. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 recognized only as a normal controller...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 recognized only as a normal controller...: I've tried several troubleshooting steps found on Microsoft's forums but nothing helped. I'm using windows 11. All updates installed, even optional ones. Controller firmware is updated. I have 2...