Windows 10 + RawInput + XBox One controller removal = fatal system crash - How to report this?

Discus and support Windows 10 + RawInput + XBox One controller removal = fatal system crash - How to report this? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've discovered a reproducible fatal crash in Windows 10 when using the Xbox One controller with Raw Input. It has been verified by multiple people on... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by GuavamanX, Mar 12, 2016.

1. GuavamanX
    GuavamanX Guest

Windows 10 + RawInput + XBox One controller removal = fatal system crash - How to report this?

I've discovered a reproducible fatal crash in Windows 10 when using the Xbox One controller with Raw Input. It has been verified by multiple people on different PCs. I've got a repro VS project ready, but I don't know where or how to get this information
    to Microsoft. This is a pretty significant bug IMO because it could affect thousands of games that use Raw Input.

What happens:

In Windows 10, after calling RegisterRawInputDevices and registering to receive WM_Input messages from HID usage page 5 (gamepad) with an Xbox One controller attached (wired or wireless), once you unplug the Xbox One controller, the entire system will become
    unstable and unusable requiring a hard reboot to recover. More specifically, Desktop Window Manager seems to go into an infinite loop, maxing out a core, and then all mouse clicks fail, after a few clicks the mouse cursor frame rate drops to about 3 fps and
    with every movement or click a beep sound is played. Keyboard input still works, so even force closing the application does nothing. Trying to shut down the system or Desktop Window Manager does nothing. The only way to recover is to press reset on the PC.

There is no way I know of to get RawInput data without registering for the devices, and once you do that, this crash occurs if the controller is disconnected. If you unregister the devices before disconnecting the controller, it does not crash; however,
    unregistering the devices JIT by using device event notifications does not prevent the crash as it seems Desktop Windows Manager already goes into the infinite loop by the time those system events are sent.

I happen to know this error did not occur a couple of months ago, therefore I believe it was something in a recent Windows update that caused this. In addition, it never occurs with Xbox 360 controllers, clones, or on Windows 7.

Any information on who to contact or where to file this bug report would be greatly appreciated. I've also posted this to MS TechNet.

:)

GuavamanX, Mar 12, 2016
  2. HadesFG
    HadesFG Guest
    XOne Controller, RAWINPUT API and Windows 10 1607 Update

Hi,

We are working on a PC games with RAWINPUT API for inputs management and it works on all pads/joystick until W10 1607 Anniversary Edition update.

Engine do not receive any WM_INPUT message from X1 Controllers whereas X360 controllers works fines.

X One Controllers are correctly enumerated and registered by RAWINPUT API.

We think it's an issue with W10 update but we don't find any post on this problem.

Any advice ?

Does XOne Controller drop support for RAWINPUT on Windows 10 ?

Thanks

Fabrice

HadesFG, Mar 12, 2016
  3. XBF Nestor S
    XBF Nestor S Guest
    Xbox One Controller PC

Hey Fatal thanks for the reply bud!

So if the controller is acting this way it might also benefit from an
    Update
    to make sure the drivers aren't the issue here. Give it a shot and keep us posted!

XBF Nestor S, Mar 12, 2016
  4. XBF Nestor S Win User

Xbox One Controller PC

Hey Fatal thanks for the reply bud!

So if the controller is acting this way it might also benefit from an
    Update
    to make sure the drivers aren't the issue here. Give it a shot and keep us posted!

5. XBF George L Win User

Xbox controller connects but wont work

6. XBF Leonzo G Win User

xbox one s 패드가 갑자기 작동을 멈춥니다. -[Translation - The Xbox One S pad suddenly stops working.]

7. M3tal Daz3 Win User

XBOX app on Windows 10 wont recognize XBOX wired controller for XBOX or Windows 10

The Xbox One controller is a plug and play device. If the Windows 10 PC can't detect the controller, it may be due to Windows not automatically updating the controller's drivers. To update your Xbox
    One controller on Windows 10, kindly visit this
    link
    and follow the steps provided.

We also recommend checking if there are updates available for your Windows 10 device. See

How to get software and driver updates for Windows 10
    for the steps.

Refer to this
    link
    for additional information on how to connect an Xbox One Wireless Controller to a Windows PC.
  8. XBF Jeremy Z Win User

Xbox One remote wont connect when plugged into computer

Thema:

1. Windows 10 + RawInput + XBox One controller removal = fatal system crash - How to report this? - Similar Threads - Windows RawInput controller

2. My keyboard doesn't work on minecraft bedrock on windows 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    My keyboard doesn't work on minecraft bedrock on windows 10: It doesn't search on xbox and search bar either 385e9ce1-294e-4976-bfe9-6256c1cc3c49
  3. I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…

in XBoX on Windows
    I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…: I am thinking of using my External HDD that is currently formatted for my Xbox One with my Windows PC. I know the steps of going on disk management and creating a new volume but I was also...
  4. Windows Game Bar Clip Quality worsened

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Game Bar Clip Quality worsened: Hi all, I enjoy gaming in my spare time and saving funny moments I have with mates using the game bar's shortcut to save the last 30 seconds. I've been doing it for years and usually compile a...
  5. Xbox app wont install on Windows 11 23h2

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app wont install on Windows 11 23h2: Hey, Ive been having issues with installing games from the Xbox Game Pass. I tried all the trouble shooting without uninstalling, then got to a point where uninstalling and reinstalling the Xbox...
  6. error code 0x80070005 when installing minecraft windows/bedrock version in pc

in XBoX on Windows
    error code 0x80070005 when installing minecraft windows/bedrock version in pc: hello. I'm having trouble installing the Minecraft Windows/Bedrock version in pc from microsoft store . When I install it, the error code 0x80070005 always appears. Is there a way to get rid of...
  7. Trouble connecting XBox Series S controller to new Windows 11.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trouble connecting XBox Series S controller to new Windows 11.: Tried Bluetooth/paring and restarting...no other blue tooth devices are connected. Watched YouTube videos for Windows 11 - stuck! f992ffe4-060c-4ad7-ab2a-15d035d0f139
  8. PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?

in XboX Insiders
    PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?: The kids and I have been using the Xbox app across three PCs for voice chat for Minecraft for a few years. It stopped working recently, but in my efforts to troubleshoot it, I found all the fixes...
  9. XBOX game bar record issues, how to fix windows + alt + r not working at times

in XBoX on Windows
    XBOX game bar record issues, how to fix windows + alt + r not working at times: Lately my xbox game bar screen record hasnt been working good. I usually do window + alt + r to record the last minutes of game clips but lately it hasnt been doing it as consistently. The most i...
  10. I recently bought Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10 and I have no idea where...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I recently bought Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10 and I have no idea where...: I read about WindowsApp but it's full of complicated named files and no game file. Why is this even a thing? ba22ca33-1a93-465d-919f-e70856918031