Why will my controller only turn on if it's plugged in?

Discus and support Why will my controller only turn on if it's plugged in? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I changed the batteries in my controller yesterday, and my controller is now fully charged. However, I can't turn the controller on unless it's plugged... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Levi Hayes1, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Levi Hayes1
    Levi Hayes1 Guest

I changed the batteries in my controller yesterday, and my controller is now fully charged. However, I can't turn the controller on unless it's plugged in; if I try to turn it on unplugged, the home button flashes for a brief second, then nothing. The batteries definitely aren't dead because when the controller is taken off charge it doesn't die, and my Xbox says it's nearly on a hundred percent charge. I don't know what to do. The controller is only about a month to two months old so I don't understand why it's broken or how to fix it.

:)

Levi Hayes1, Feb 5, 2024
  2. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Hi Levi, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that.

Please, reset your controller pairing.

To unpair it, press and hold the pair button on top of the controller for a few seconds until it vibrates twice.

Then, pair it again.

Turn on your controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button.

Press and release the Pair button on the Xbox.

Within 20 seconds, press and hold the controller’s Pair button a circular button on top of the controller as you hold it in your hands) until the controller's Xbox button flashes a few times.

That means it's searching for a console.

The Xbox button stays lit once it's connected.

I hope this helps.
  3. JUST DO IT415 Win User

Xbox Controller Settings

I'm not entirely sure on this because I only use the controller on my console but have you tried only turning on controller via plugging it into your PC?
  4. cko2003 Win User

XBOX controller automatically turns off

The reason why the controller turns off is to safe its battery life. You can change this by plugging in a usb at the very top of the controller.
  5. NeetzNeo Win User

Xbox One controller does not work. Need help

Hi,thank you for taking your time to lend some help, my controller is mainly a wireless one but it does support a wired connection too. I tried connecting it to the Xbox using a wire, but still the controller was yet not lighting up(Logo button). I did plug it to my laptop and to my surprise it turned on for a bit but then the light turned off and there was just vibrations occuring while it was plugged and now the light does not turn anymore when it's plugged to the laptop only vibrations.
  6. onyxishere Win User

Can't Connecting Multiple Wired Controllers!!!!

That's an odd issue. I would like to suggest turning the console off and plugging in only one controller before turning it on. After a gamertag has been signed in there try plugging in the other controller and logging in the second gamertag.
Thema:

1. Why will my controller only turn on if it's plugged in? - Similar Threads - Why controller turn

2. Why my controller keeps turning off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my controller keeps turning off: I recently updated my elite controller 2 days before making this post. All of a sudden it wouldn't charge and when tried to power on it lights up and slowly dims and powers, when i try to sync it...
  3. Why wont my PowerA Fusion Controller for Xbox One turn on ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my PowerA Fusion Controller for Xbox One turn on ?: The controller was in use then just shut off and won't go back on 40a79e28-e2fd-4790-a744-677888f2cdfe
  4. Why wont my xbox controller turn on? even with batteries and cables

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my xbox controller turn on? even with batteries and cables: my controller isn't turning on no matter what i do with it... tried new batteries and tried all USB-C cables in the house and the button wont even flash. i've only had the controller for about a...
  5. Why Does My Controller Flash Every Time I Turn It On?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why Does My Controller Flash Every Time I Turn It On?: Every time I restart my computer and get on it and turn on my controller (which is a elite series 2 and its plugged in) it just flashes, I also know that the usb works because I have used the same...
  6. Why does my controller have to turn off why I want to play on keyboard and mouse

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does my controller have to turn off why I want to play on keyboard and mouse: Why does the controller have to have a timed shut off? Please make this an option! It’s really annoying when there are certain times I want to use the controller for a game or if I want to use...
  7. Why has my xbox controller randomly decided to not turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my xbox controller randomly decided to not turn on: My xbox controller is flashing and then it vibrated twice before turning off. I did not pay £400 just for 10 months later nonsense like this. Knew i shouldve gotten the ps3 on my 7th birthday...
  8. Why does my Xbox wired Controller Not Take any input after Turning on my Xbox with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox wired Controller Not Take any input after Turning on my Xbox with it?: Hi, So Recently I tried Booting up my Xbox One, I picked up my Wired Controller, Pressed the Xbox button on the controller, Things worked Just fine, I tried Using the D-pad but No input was...
  9. Why will my xbox controller only flash 1 time then turn off without connecting to the xbox...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why will my xbox controller only flash 1 time then turn off without connecting to the xbox...: Why will my xbox controller only flash 1 time then turn off without connecting to the xbox then I put the wire in and it connects for 3 seconds then disconnect I need help please and its not my...
  10. Why wont My powerA Wired controller wont turn on

in XBoX on Windows
    Why wont My powerA Wired controller wont turn on: It was on before i left the house for school and i come back to it not working but i tried using it on a different xbox and with a different cable but the circle indicator isnt even on...