Why isn't my xbox series s running 1440p@120hz?

Discus and support Why isn't my xbox series s running 1440p@120hz? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I recently bought a new MSI monitor from amazon. It is 1440p and reaches up to 170hz. I am aware that the xbox series s can only reach up to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ItzLemonzz, Jan 13, 2024.

1. ItzLemonzz
    ItzLemonzz Guest

Hello, I recently bought a new MSI monitor from amazon. It is 1440p and reaches up to 170hz. I am aware that the xbox series s can only reach up to 120hz and 1440p, however, when I bought it and hooked it up to my console, It keeps putting the resolution to 1080p at 120hz and whenever I switch it to 1440p it switches the refresh rate to 60. I've tried troubleshooting it, turning off 4k, turning on VRR etc. None of it worked. I also bought a new HDMI 2.1 cable that supported 120hz@1440p however it kept giving me the same message. Do you have any good monitor recommendations with a budget under $300 that is 1440p@120hz and is guaranteed to actually work?

Thank You

:)

ItzLemonzz, Jan 13, 2024
  2. ngocphi Win User

LG Oled and Series S

Well no the xbox series s isn't capable of 4k 120hz video games it's not even capable of 4k 60hz

That's the series x

The best the series s can do is 1440p

The reason why you aren't getting any signal is because the series s isn't capable of it

Only in streaming not gaming

This is the offical.ms.papers on series s

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/consoles/xbox-series-s

As noted it's only capable of 120hz on 1440p in games and 4,k 120hz on streaming

Not a lot of games support 4k 120hz even on xbox series x

Even on backwards compatibility games it's a max of 60fps with yakuza running at 900 frames

You gotta remember it's upscaled not native

Hence the lesser space requirements for series s
  3. StuartATrueRed Win User

Do I Need A Xbox Series X or S To Have 4K Resolution At 120hz?

You will need the Xbox Series X for 4K 120hz. The Series S can only do 1440p 120hz
  4. Jhonkito Win User

Hi, ItzLemonzz my name is jhon and will be a pleasure help you.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble running your Xbox Series S at 1440p@120Hz on your new MSI monitor. Based on the symptoms you’ve described, it seems like your monitor is not able to run at 1440p@120Hz with your Xbox Series S.

One possible reason for this issue could be that your monitor is not compatible with the Xbox Series S at 1440p@120Hz. According to Microsoft Community, some monitors may not support 1440p@120Hz with the Xbox Series S due to hardware limitations 12.

Another possible reason could be that your monitor is not configured correctly. You can try to enable 120Hz on your Xbox Series S by following these steps:

With your Xbox console turned on, press the Xbox button on your controller.

Use the bumper buttons (LB and RB) to tab across to the “Profile & System” tab.
    Scroll down and select “Settings,” and then, under “General,” select “TV & Display Options.”

In the menu that appears, select “4K TV Details” to see a list of modes your TV supports.

If your monitor is listed, select it and then select “Allow 120Hz”

As for your request for a monitor recommendation, I would recommend the Dell S2721DGF. It is a 27-inch monitor with a resolution of 1440p@165Hz and is priced at around $300 4. It is also G-Sync compatible and has a 1ms response time.

For your reference, I've included some links where you can find more details about the solutions I suggested

https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/a0419828-ab31-48d2-afd9-db7a1b47155c

https://www.howtogeek.com/700984/how-to-enable-120hz-on-xbox-series-x-and-s/

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesS/comments/lq8jtk/xbox_series_s_1440p_120hz/

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

I hope the information I gave you has been useful, have a happy day.
  5. Lincoln14 Win User

will hdmi 1.4 work with the xbox series s and do 1440p 120hz?

So will I be able to get the monitor, plug it into my xbox series s and do 1440p 120hz with vrr?
  6. ROBIN H 25 Win User

120hz

for 120hz you need i think hdmi2.1.

besides connecting the s at 120hz is not going to magically let it run at 120fps, you will be lucky to get 40fps on most games. kills my eyes running so slow.
    HDMI 2.1 is only needed if you plan to game at 4K for 120hz , on a 4K 144hz monitor, However there's no gaming monitors available at the moment, that yet has HDMI 2.1, the first HDMI 2.1 monitors that are likely to come in are around the same time as the
    Series X (Q4) launch or early 2021 (Q1),

1080p and some 1440p monitors can do 120hz over HDMI 1.4 if it's supported, but best ideally is HDMI 2.0 for 1440p for 120hz,

HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p / 1440p at 120hz and 4K at 60hz,

HDMI 2.1 can do 1080p / 1440p / 4K at 120hz.

For the Xbox Series X, it best to get a 4K TV or monitor that supports 120hz and has HDMI 2.1, to get the full potential out of the Series X.
Thema:

1. Why isn't my xbox series s running 1440p@120hz? - Similar Threads - Why isn't series

2. Why isn't cloud gaming working on mobile data?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why isn't cloud gaming working on mobile data?: I have an android and an xbox series X. I'm trying to launch remote play and before I can even select a game it says it found my console but can't connect. It suggests to connect via my home wifi...
  3. Why isn't my headest connecting to my Xbox via wireless and wire

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my headest connecting to my Xbox via wireless and wire: I have an Xbox series s and captian 4000 headset and they won't connect when I try either method in the manual. I looked at the website and didn't find any help 9350bd46-4486-4548-b876-4ec72cd1bde3
  4. Why isn't my mic working

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my mic working: Every time I plug in my headset (ozeino) my headset volume lights up but the chat mixer doesn't and the audio goes through the TV. I fight with it every time and after about 2 minutes it finally...
  5. I bought a gift card with reward points on Xbox. Why would I get a code that isn't for Xbox.

in XBoX on Windows
    I bought a gift card with reward points on Xbox. Why would I get a code that isn't for Xbox.: I bought a gift card with my reward points League of Legends Gift Card-575 and it is usually sent to Xbox chat. I always set for goal in reward points for DC Universe Online League of Legends they...
  6. Why isn't my XBOX 360 Kinect sensor show the rest of my body?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my XBOX 360 Kinect sensor show the rest of my body?: Only my head and arms are recognized, I think it's broken. Is there anything that you could recommend? 5d5e479b-7f16-4c03-89de-90fa1bbb030a
  7. Why isn't discord working on xbox series x

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why isn't discord working on xbox series x: The past the 3 days I haven't been able to link my discord to my xbox. Iv tried many things but nothing seems to work. Even when I do link it and it says it has connected I check and it asked to...
  8. Why isn't my legendary edition of injustice 2 in Xbox series x can't download, it appear on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why isn't my legendary edition of injustice 2 in Xbox series x can't download, it appear on...: Why isn't my legendary edition of injustice 2 can't download even though I own the Injustice 2 legendary edition? I try to install it but I cant click it, and I tried to see it in my billing...
  9. Why isn't Xbox releasing series controller with normal dimensions?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why isn't Xbox releasing series controller with normal dimensions?: I don't get it, the xbox 360 and one controller were perfect for adult hands but now they have released a smaller version, alienating a large chuck of the fan base who are uncomfortable with the...
  10. Why does my Xbox Series X say wired connection in use but there isn't?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox Series X say wired connection in use but there isn't?: I got my new Xbox series x not even 2-3 wks ago and ever since I've had either power outages due to Mother Nature that would cause this issue one time and it was an easy fix I just needed to turn...