Why is there no option in the console to control the dead zone of a controller stick?

Discus and support Why is there no option in the console to control the dead zone of a controller stick? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I ordered a Backbone for my phone and Microsoft included a controller with the purchase; super cool! So when my main controller’s right bumper went... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dylicious Dyl, Aug 17, 2023.

1. Why is there no option in the console to control the dead zone of a controller stick?

I ordered a Backbone for my phone and Microsoft included a controller with the purchase; super cool! So when my main controller’s right bumper went out, I set up this one and right out of the box, there’s a left stick that won’t stay. Move it slightly up and it continues to drag up. Move it slightly down… you get the picture. It’s frustrating that there’s no options in the accessories app on the console to alter the dead zone of the controller to counteract this issue. It seems intentional to leave it out, which adds to my frustration.

And before I get countered with “it has to be adjusted in each game’s settings” I have 2 pre-responses: 1) not every game has settings for it & 2) it makes menu’ing on the Home Screen of the console and Microsoft store a real pain.

I’m venting, yes, but also hoping for a solution that doesn’t include dropping $60 on a brand new controller.

:)

Dylicious Dyl, Aug 17, 2023
  2. Mae Sev. Win User

Why is there no option in the console to control the dead zone of a controller stick?

Hello Dylicious Dyl,

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are experiencing an issue with the left stick of your controller, and you are looking for a solution to adjust the dead zone of the controller stick. This can be indeed a nuisance, especially when it affects your navigation on the device. Just to set proper expectation, I would like you to be aware that the Xbox accessories app on the console does not have an option to adjust the dead zone of the controller stick. Let's go ahead and check what we can do best to help address your concern today.

The ability to adjust the dead zone of a controller stick varies by console and sometimes even by the specific controller model. For example, the Xbox's Elite controller allows you to make a customer dead zone. However, this feature is not universally available across all consoles or controllers. There were some games provide options within their settings to adjust the controller's dead zone. This allows for customization on a game-by- game basis, which can be useful given that optimal dead zone settings can vary depending on the game.

There are few things you can try to apply on your end. See the following below:

• Firstly, you can try recalibrating the controller. To do this, go to the Xbox accessories app on your console, select the controller you want to calibrate, and then select "Calibrate." Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the calibration process.
    • If recalibrating the controller does not work, you can try cleaning the controller stick. Sometimes, dirt and debris can get stuck in the controller stick, causing it to malfunction. To clean the controller stick, use a soft-bristled brush or a toothbrush to gently clean around the stick. Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as this can damage the controller.
    • Make sure that updates are installed.

If any case the issues persists, please allow us to know the following information:

1. Is the issue presented on a particular game? Or it happened to all of the game?
    2. I assume your controller is up to date, right?
    3. Have you tried connecting your controller to another device like PC, or phone? Will the issue persist?

I hope this information helps you resolve the issue with your controller. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Mae Sev. Win User

Hello Dylicious Dyl,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we will consider your issue resolved. If you do need further help, please create a new thread to discuss your concerns through this link: Create a new question or start a new discussion (microsoft.com), as we will not be monitoring this thread going forward.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.

Respectfully,

Microsoft Moderator
  4. GetOuttaMyTree Win User

Controller Stick Drift every so often.

For those interested in why this can happen...

"Every controller stick has what's called a "dead zone" and that's the area that the controllers position is registered as 0, or no movement.

Over time and with use, the sticks idle position will drift out of the dead zone, an indicator of this is if it seems loose and moves easily, and will seem to move position on it's own because the hardware detects the stick is out of the dead zone."

Explanation courtesy of Conor Bailey on ifixit.com

Discussion on ifixit.com
  5. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Radial Calculation

It configures your thumb sticks' dead zones and possibly acceleration. Available for
    controller elite configuration
  6. mr olr Win User

Joy stick drifting

If its still under warranty you can get it fixed. If not a short term option in the controller settings is to set a larger dead zone, this helps illuminate the stick drift issue shirt term.
Thema:

1. Why is there no option in the console to control the dead zone of a controller stick? - Similar Threads - Why option console

2. Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?: I have Minecraft and other games that allow you to play solo, no multiplayer. When I click the game it says “ looks like you need to renew Xbox game pass. If your subscriptions current try...
  3. Why is it not an option to move captires from xbox network to internal storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is it not an option to move captires from xbox network to internal storage?: As the subject states, since they're going to be deleting captures, I want them on something where they're not going tk be deleted at the mad whims of microsoft. I want my captures on my xbox...
  4. Why does my controller not select apps or options but in games the controller works...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller not select apps or options but in games the controller works...: Why does my controller not select apps or options even though I see it responding but in games the controller works perfectly fine? It also keeps sticking to the top of the screen even though I...
  5. Smart Delivery. Why not make it optional?

in XboX Insiders
    Smart Delivery. Why not make it optional?: Cant Smart Delivery just be a optional thing? Like some games i see that optimization is great like fortnite, cod etc... so yeah i want those to be.. but as a Series S user with a external SSD...
  6. Why is the option to Delete Everywhere gone??

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is the option to Delete Everywhere gone??: My fiance and I are trying to delete the saved files, including on the Cloud. We've followed all the steps, but when we finally get to the last and final step, the only option is Delete Locally....
  7. Why can't I see the option to buy using the Microsoft account balance after I redeemed my...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I see the option to buy using the Microsoft account balance after I redeemed my...: [img] [img] I bought a 25 dollar gift card and redeemed it in the store then I wanted to get my self some ea fc points but the option to buy with Microsoft account balance didn't show up its been...
  8. Why do I not have the option to change my Hertz allowed in my Xbox setting?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I not have the option to change my Hertz allowed in my Xbox setting?: I currently just got the Xbox Series X and was wanting to run 120 FPS, but I noticed there is not an option to change it in my Xbox settings. I have the "Acer Nitro 34" Class UWQHD Curved Gaming...
  9. Why does this Xbox insist that I am in the United Kingdom and give me no option to change it??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does this Xbox insist that I am in the United Kingdom and give me no option to change it??: I just purchased the Xbox series x and throughout the setup I saw no where that I could have possibly told it that I was in the uk, but now that I am trying to set up a payment form for game pass,...
  10. Why is reporting in-game voice chat an option for players who opt out of family settings?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is reporting in-game voice chat an option for players who opt out of family settings?: Xbox needs to be for everyone, I clouding free-speaking adults whose gaming experience is enhanced by free speech, confrontation, dark humor, etc. If I wanted that, I'd be going to the local...