Why is the Xbox App Download Limit Tied to the Windows Update Bandwidth Settings?

Discus and support Why is the Xbox App Download Limit Tied to the Windows Update Bandwidth Settings? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; This is a very tedious issue I have with the Xbox app. Why is the download limit tied to the Windows update bandwidth? The app should have its own... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by wowcha, Oct 7, 2023.

1. wowcha
    wowcha Guest

Why is the Xbox App Download Limit Tied to the Windows Update Bandwidth Settings?

This is a very tedious issue I have with the Xbox app.

Why is the download limit tied to the Windows update bandwidth? The app should have its own download limits.

This was an issue I spent ages trying to work out: turns out the Xbox download limit is tied to the Windows 11 settings in

`Advanced Options > Windows Update > Delivery Optimisation > Advanced options`.

If a user has set these limits low then proceeded to download the Xbox app after obtaining Game Pass, they will find that their download speeds are super low, and on every other platform (Steam, Ubi, EA, etc) the speeds are fine.

There's no reason for this to be the case; the app should have its own independent download limits, like every other platform. I bet you'll end up with less support tickets complaining about slow download limits ONLY on the Xbox app.

Plz fix, thanks <3

:)

wowcha, Oct 7, 2023
  2. wowcha Win User

it's because it's exactly the same system that is updating windows and Xbox. You're contacting the same servers
    Just because they contact the same servers (assuming this is true) doesn't mean the client-end has to be constrained by settings that are effectively hidden away 4-5 layers deep in advanced Windows settings.

Seems more like an oversight than an actual decision (hopefully). Not to mention it does go against the standard that users expect.

Hopefully this can be treated as a feature request for the devs, somehow. đź‘Ť
  3. SwordofWhedon Win User

it's because it's exactly the same system that is updating windows and Xbox. You're contacting the same servers
  4. TheTingler1982 Win User

Can't download Xbox app games on Windows 11 anymore

In my case, the issue was caused by something I chose to do (and was advised to) with Windows 11 - throttling Windows Update download speeds.

Windows Update > Delivery Optimization > Advanced Settings

I had previously had issues with download speeds on my new Windows 11 PC and was told that Windows Update sometimes hogged all the resources. I went here and limited its bandwidth. Unfortunately, Microsoft neglects to tell you that it ties Windows Store and the Xbox app downloads into the same resources as Windows Update, so when I chose to limit Update I also kneecapped Store and Xbox. I reset everything there to what it was before, restarted my PC, checked to make sure my changes were saved, and then went to the Xbox app. Lo, it downloads my games normally now.

(Incidentally, this is another in a line of incidents I've had with Windows 11, Xbox app, or Microsoft stuff, where I went to the communities and support staff, no one could help me, and I went and found the solution myself)
  5. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Forza Horizon 5, my game is acting weird.

Hi there Mario welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. This sounds like a ping issue.

Automatic updates help keep your device on top of things with performance improvements and security patches. Unfortunately, these updates can hog your internet bandwidth and slow your system’s ping rate.

On Windows 10, you can set a bandwidth limit for system update downloads. Here’s how to do it.

Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.

Go to Update and Security.

Open the Delivery Optimization tab from the left pane and then open Advanced options.

Under the Download settings section, choose Percentage of measured bandwidth.

Check the Limit how much bandwidth is used for download updates in the background option.

Depending on your internet speed, adjust the slider to set the bandwidth limit to 10% or less.

Furthermore, disable automatic updates on your game client to prevent any hindrance during gameplay.
  6. Real Dangerr Win User

Xbox app on PC

Hit windows key and type "Settings"

Click "Settings"

Click "Update & Security"

Under Update settings Click "Advanced options"

Click "Delivery Optimization"

Click "Advanced options"

Under Download settings there is a checkbox for "Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background". Make sure the box is checked and
    set slider to 100%.
Thema:

1. Why is the Xbox App Download Limit Tied to the Windows Update Bandwidth Settings? - Similar Threads - Why App Download

2. Why cant my xbox series s download any apps?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why cant my xbox series s download any apps?: Ive been trying to download dolby atoms but every time i try to install it, it just cancels it saying “installation has stopped” i thought maybe it was just this app but when i tried downloading...
  3. why is my xbox app downloading so slow?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why is my xbox app downloading so slow?: It appears that the Microsoft store is limiting my downloads speeds on the Xbox app and the EA app. Any help?? 947a66a5-5c27-40e9-80a9-9c4061330229
  4. Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?: About every week for the past month, the Xbox app on my PC will download the game "Wartales" and I'll see it in my library with the message "Just installed!". The thing is, I have never initiated...
  5. why are my games on the xbox PC app taking so long to download. Its not my internet either

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why are my games on the xbox PC app taking so long to download. Its not my internet either: My game is downloading at like 7.7mb/s how do i increase it a593b27e-d09e-49a2-9464-66ab57a6b0c9
  6. Why can't I download and install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app on Windows 11?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I download and install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app on Windows 11?: I have tried everything I could to make it work, everything that is written in support and it still doesn't work. I just get an error message and the code is: 0x87e0000f...
  7. Why does my installing games and apps say installing but doesn't move/ download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my installing games and apps say installing but doesn't move/ download: My app like I just got dead island 2 I started to download it but is just stuck at saying installing and not moving 8c9ceaed-edeb-40e2-8264-7011d60cfd1b
  8. why will nothing download and update from the xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why will nothing download and update from the xbox app: I own a 1year old proper gaming PC. Cost $3000 can run almost anything I have updated Windows and everything app known to man on my PC I have reinstalled updated fixed started stopped rebooted...
  9. Why i cannot cancel my download in Xbox App (Windows 11)?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why i cannot cancel my download in Xbox App (Windows 11)?: i try to pre-install Payday 3, and the download show error at 7% so i try to redownload it. but when i try to redownload it, it start at 7% and stuck at 0 b/s and cannot be canceled. i already try...
  10. Why cant I download the Movies and TV app it does not work

in XBoX on Windows
    Why cant I download the Movies and TV app it does not work: I have a xbox one first Gen, and the app says installing but nonething happens a3b895d8-4c05-4bc8-a87b-a1ea20983531