why is minecraft asking me to change my username after updating the launcher?

Discus and support why is minecraft asking me to change my username after updating the launcher? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I updated Minecraft Launcher (java edition) and I had the user lewcio23, now it says its taken, for some reason...?! c390849e-2e35-4611-beab-48f08244a72d Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Lewcio ㅤ, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Lewcio ㅤ
    Lewcio ㅤ Guest

I updated Minecraft Launcher (java edition) and I had the user lewcio23, now it says its taken, for some reason...?!

:)

Lewcio ㅤ, Oct 26, 2023
  2. KhajiBower34 Win User

Hello Lewcio , I am an independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today. My name is Khaji

Minecraft may ask you to change your username after updating the launcher due to several important reasons.

- Account Migration: Mojang, the company that develops Minecraft, has been migrating Mojang accounts to Microsoft accounts, During this process, you may be asked to change your username.

- Username already in use: If your username is being used by another account, you may be asked to change it

- Launcher Update: Some Minecraft launcher updates may require you to change your username.
  3. Jacob Carle Win User

This is not helpful, I am experiencing the same issue on an allready migrated account, the username is for THIS account.
  4. Lucas Lauer Win User

Mojang Account Migration

Not sure why your Java username is showing as already taken, but since the Minecraft website shows that you own Java, this is probably just an issue with the Launcher syncing data.

Would you please try to reinstall Minecraft Java and the Minecraft Launcher too?
  5. Dylan Macdiarmid Win User

How do I force sign-out someone in the Minecraft launcher

Then why when I open the Minecraft launcher after i changed the password I'm still logged in on my account and I didnt have to put the new password or anything
  6. VarunWignarajah Win User

Minecraft Compromised Account

I am using the following website: https://hypixel.paniek.de/player/6538db5abf3a47a79f2f86b3057b350d/status to see that they are using my minecraft account to access the hypixel server. Furthermore, on my own side with my device, changing username, gamertag, password or using the force all sign out on microsoft security settings has not made my own minecraft launcher force me to sign in again, it simply uses the fact that its been logged in before and still lets me just press play and access any servers without a need to re-enter details. This seems like a vital security issue as a change in password should cause all minecraft launchers to sign out. Since then, I have also tried it on my friend's PC, where upon changing the password, it still allowed me to access my minecraft account from his launcher without needing to re-enter details there as well. For some reason the basic minecraft launcher does not require a re-entry of login details upon account password change.

Cheers
Thema:

1. why is minecraft asking me to change my username after updating the launcher? - Similar Threads - why minecraft asking

2. Why cant I join my friend on minecraft

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why cant I join my friend on minecraft: My friends and I, have been recently trying to joing eachother on minecraft but have been having immense trouble. Whenever we try to join our friends world, it says its downloading whichever add...
  3. Why minecraft cape didnt appear iam using java but it shows in the micosoft order history

in XBoX on Windows
    Why minecraft cape didnt appear iam using java but it shows in the micosoft order history: Minecraft cape dosen't appear iam using java version of the game but it shows in order history 238572d1-6d0b-4812-80b1-692abcbe9e47
  4. Minecraft launcher refuses to install and I do not know why

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft launcher refuses to install and I do not know why: Hello, I am currently dealing with an issue where Minecraft launcher refuses to work on my newly built pc. Windows 11 is activated and up to date and I have tried a variety of troubleshooting...
  5. Why do I keep receiving invites for minecraft windows 10 edition from random people even...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why do I keep receiving invites for minecraft windows 10 edition from random people even...: how can I stop getting these invites 157363d0-6835-4b60-86e9-9800ba2f9c9b
  6. Why is Minecraft not downloading behavior packs

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is Minecraft not downloading behavior packs: I was trying to join my friends world and he has a couple behoavior pakcs but when I try to download them to join the world It just gets stuck at around 20Mb and doesnt move even after ive waited...
  7. Hi can someone help me why my microsoft account with my minecraft account when i renewed...

in XBoX on Windows
    Hi can someone help me why my microsoft account with my minecraft account when i renewed...: I will be thankful if someone help me 20bf3002-6f31-428d-94f5-1a5ca37323bc
  8. Why can't I install minecraft deluxe edition on my windows 11 pc after buying?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I install minecraft deluxe edition on my windows 11 pc after buying?: So yesterday I bought Minecraft deluxe edition JAVA and Bedrock. As I proceeded to installation, it displays an error that it couldn't find connection towards the Microsoft Store. After signing in...
  9. Why is Minecraft asking me to purchase again after Ive had it for months?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is Minecraft asking me to purchase again after Ive had it for months?: [img] (please help, proof of purchase is in the picture!) 521a9de4-2fc8-4398-865d-45b7e6693cbc
  10. Why is Minecraft asking me to buy it again?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is Minecraft asking me to buy it again?: I migrated my Mojang account to Microsoft this year. I bought minecraft through a prepaid card. But when I go into the launcher now after not playing for a long time it is saying that I have to...